Menu

does this math curriculum exits? (middle grades, integrated subjects)

DH and I are trying to figure out the best path for DS, who is math precocious and curious. He'll finish Singapore 6B in just a few weeks. 

We would both prefer the deeper/broader model to the faster/finish model, if that makes sense. Calculus in 7th grade is not the goal, if you know what I mean.

What we would LOVE to see it a curriculum that integrates the typical upper-level math courses (calc, trig, analytical geometry, geometry, statistics, algebra) into one textbook. Ideally, the series would loop back on these subjects year after year, much like the standard elementary curriculum loops through basic mathematical concepts, building on each year by year. 

If this doesn't exist, any suggestions for integrated math texts in general? Something that could help a student see connections across mathematical concepts, rather than approaching each as discrete? 

Galore Park Maths is integrated.  It's designed to start from age 10, so I don't know if the level would fit.  There are three books, the last of which is larger and could be used over two years.  This pages has links to each book with samples.  Galore Park is available from horriblebooks.com in the US, or worldwide with free shipping from bookdepository.co.uk

https://www.galorepark.co.uk/Mathematics#&pid=4&st=6&l=143&c=&se=&limit=true&type=5

• Like 2

Galore Park Maths is integrated.  It's designed to start from age 10, so I don't know if the level would fit.  There are three books, the last of which is larger and could be used over two years.  This pages has links to each book with samples.  Galore Park is available from horriblebooks.com in the US, or worldwide with free shipping from bookdepository.co.uk

https://www.galorepark.co.uk/Mathematics#&pid=4&st=6&l=143&c=&se=&limit=true&type=5

What would you follow this up with?

What would you follow this up with?

The next stage in England is GCSE.  The third Galore Park book (it has been repackaged, but I it's the same author, so I assume it's the same book) goes partly into the GCSE syllabus, in order to accommodate brighter 'scholarship' pupils.  Most GCSE books start from age 14, with brighter children starting at age 13.

I don't have a recommendation for a GCSE textbook.  I taught half of one to Calvin (because he ended up skipping a year when he entered school and he needed to catch up over the summer) but I didn't think it was anything special and I don't remember which one it was.  Maths isn't my speciality.....  There will be a bunch of GCSE and IGCSE books on Amazon.co.uk.

Not integrated, but I'd still look at Art of Problem solving. It is definitely deeper and geared toward a child like yours sounds.

We did it in an integrated fashion by simply doing one chapter out of one book and then another chapter out of another book. In some ways, it continues to review everything else as it continues to use the concepts already taught.