Menu

And while we're at it: Holiday gifts for 13-year-old girls?

Our situation is possibly a bit more challenging, because our daughter is living away from home for most of the year. And we really don't want to clutter up her dorm room with a lot more stuff.

She's been dropping hints about a new laptop, but she wants an Apple, and my husband says she'll have to wait a while for that.

I'm sure we'll come up with a few small things--t-shirts with snarky sayings on them, a few books and CDs. But, as with our son, we're kind of stumped for the "big" gift.

Anyone want to share what their young teen daughters will be receiving this year?

I'm in the same boat 13 yo boy/girl twins and I have NO clue what to get them - time is flying by!

What sort of things does she already have that we can rule out? Does she already have an MP3 player?

Yes, she has an MP3 player. She also has a digital camera, a laptop computer, a scanner/printer . . . actually, pretty much everything a person could want.

Her primary interest is musical theatre, but she already owns the soundtracks to pretty much every show she's seen and a bunch she hasn't.

We usually give her tickets to something for her birthday (which is also in December, just to make things more fun). Taking her to a show has become tough since she went to school, though, since the window of opportunity it so limited. She's home for only a little over three weeks, during which we have the usual holiday celebrations AND her little brother keeps us busy with The Nutcracker. And once she goes back to school in early January, she's not available again until spring break. We're actually giving her the birthday gift in October this year, because it was the only way to fit it into our lives.

I agree - kids love gift cards to anything - music, food, movies, favorite stores.

Also - depending on what is available in the area can you buy her a year membership to a local hotspot? One of my favorites gifts to give is a year membership to a zoo - obviously this is for families with younger children :) but maybe there is something similar for an older child? Like our local theater offers season ticket packages, season passes to an amusement park or museum...

Another thought - you say she is away most of the year, how often do you all get together? Maybe you can make some sort of "weekend getaway" package where you visit her or her you and do all sorts of fun things you may not normally.

Like for our gift to all our kids this year, we are getting them snow suits, boots, and sleds and with a note telling them to pack their bags, we're off to Tahoe! We just have to figure out "Santa" gifts to everyone (yes we still believe :D)

...a photo printer? That's something *I* kind of wish for while already owning all the other gadgets you mention your dd already owns.

When I was that age (and older) my parents started investing in certain longer term gifts for me. Mostly, they chose artwork which they had framed for me. Limited edition prints. The only problem was that they chose things I loved then but might not love so much now -- so if that idea appeals to you at all, think about what she might prefer as a grown up. :)

Other ideas:

A new winter jacket

Jewelry

External mp3 speakers

Or maybe you'll see something here.

Good luck!

I had some of my dds ideas printed up, (Breyer horses, colored pencils, stuffed animals) but then I saw that your 13 yr old is away at college, so lol. Sorry. I had to edit.

What does she like?

What about GC to music or book stores? Theater or movie tickets? A local museum membership for the year? Does she need any new clothing? A fun scarf and hat set?

I would probably choose from the following....

Money (all college students need spending money -- no matter their age!)

Gift card to her favorite clothing store

Jewelry

A watch perhaps?

An I-pod is a great idea. My oldest adores hers

Maybe something cute for the dorm room? Comfy pillows or a beanbag chair for lounging? Cute pajamas that she could wear when hanging out with the girls?

What about something that contributes to an interest? My dd turns 13 in January and she's really into triathlons. All of the gear and everything can get expensive - last year she asked for money to put towards a racing bike she was saving for. This year I bought her a pair of Lululemon tri-shorts and a matching top. Dd loves the store so she'd be thrilled with anything from there, but she'll be even more thrilled to get some "serious" tri clothes.