Menu

Anyone used Apologia's new Writers in Residence program yet?

I can't find anything in any searches on the boards about this program. Attempting to add a link here: http://www.apologia.com/writers-in-residence-/455-writers-in-residence-volume-1-full-set-text-and-answer-key.html

A local HS mom told me about it, and I've been reading through a 100+ page sample of it today. I like what I see so far. I thought I was going to use Treasured Conversations for my son in the fall (he's ADHD, dyslexic, and has SPD so we aren't at grade level for writing at all). But Writers in Residence has serious potential from what I am seeing.

Now I just need The Hive to sign off on it ;-). We prefer a secular program (and we would have to skip some or all of the author profiles if the first one is representative of the others--way to Jesus-y for my son). But besides the author profiles and the intro in the student book, it seems fairly neutral and to be nicely incremental, which my kiddo needs.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Edited by She Reads a Lot
  • Like 1

I haven't used it, but found it on a used site for $50 (and it was actually unused) so it is on my shelf for the second half of next year.  My 3rd grader is a natural writer and is anxious to get moving, but I'm gonna hold off until the 2nd half of her 3rd grade year.  It is written for 4-6th grades.  I have looked through it and it looks amazing!  My daughter is also very excited about it.  Sorry it isn't a review, but I do have my hands on it and it looks amazing!!

• Like 2

I suppose the fact that it came out in October isn't helping. Not a great time of year for people to start using a new program.

I found it at Rainbow Resources for quite a bit less than the $89 at Apologia. In case that helps anyone.

UnlikelyHomeschoolingMama--I prefer secular curricula. Since you own it, would you agree that the religious parts seem to mostly be in the author interviews? That's what I'm seeing in the 130-page sample. But it would help to know I'm not totally wrong. I know, it's Apologia--why am I even looking at it if I want secular? But I have looked at and tried so many writing programs (ds is dyslexic, ADHD, SPD, and probably dysgraphic), and this really looks right for us. Jealous that you found it new for $50--what a score!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We are one week into it, so I'm not sure I can give an accurate review at this point. I gave my daughter the choice of continuing with CAP W+R (that she liked) or Writers in Residence. She browsed through the sample and fell in love with it.

I think it could be used secularly. We are Christian but I usually prefer secular material. I don't like Apoligia for science but this is fine with me. I haven't read through the other author profiles to see their content. It seems like it would be easy enough to find articles or interviews with other authors if you wanted to.

I've been reading through that lovely big sample this week too as I'm looking at using it for my 7th grader. I did see a review for it over on The Curriculum Choice if that helps you any.. I'm curious about Readers In Residence as well..

Okay, it was bad enough I looked at WIR.  Did you have to mention RIR, too?!

I sure hope someone tries these out and gives us a full report soon!

Pam

• 8 months later...

I just heard Debra Bell (AIM Academy and author of WIR/RIR) talk about this on an online Christian homeschooling seminar and the vision and mission of the program.

I think people should be aware that this is a distinctly Christian curriculum and the intent is to instill a biblical worldview through language arts. There's a faq video here about it on her website.

https://debrabell.com/product-category/curriculum/writers-in-residence/

That being said, Cathy Duffy says that it is mild in the first volume and can be used by secular user. Whether or not that will increase in future volumes remains to be seen. If you are aware of their intent (I listened to her speak about this), and it increases in content, you should not be surprised. I think it depends on who you are and how you feel about using anything remotely religious or the intent of a program. Some people feel very strongly about this...others aren't as bothered.

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/composition-and-grammar/ungraded-multi-level-resources-comprehensive/writers-in-residence

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

I posted early in this thread, but now that we are nearly finished I can offer a review.

It hasn't been a favorite for us. I found it really tedious and cumbersome - so much flipping around in that giant book. The scoring system is ridiculous and I'm glad that my daughter can also roll her eyes at it now lol. My biggest complaint is that the amount of parent involvement required is inconsistent and I never know which lessons will need more of my time. While it hasn't been so bad that we ditched it, I think it is overpriced and I'm so ready to be done.

• Like 1

We also gave it a try at the start of the school year, but then abandoned it before reaching the midyear mark.  I also felt as if it moved very slowly and just didn't seem to be "enough" in terms of writing instruction. Perhaps it would be a good fit for a younger student (my daughter is 6th grade) or a student who is somewhat hesitant when it comes to writing assignments.  In those cases, the instruction and pace may be a good fit.  It was a flop for us though which is disappointing since the program is fairly expensive. :mellow:   We went back to using some Writing and Rhetoric chapters and certain writing assignments from her Rod and Staff grammar book.  For next year, we are going to move on to the Lively Art of Writing which I've found is a great guide to writing instruction for middle school and older students.

• Like 1