Menu

My kid is weird (pronouncing letter names)

She's watching me type this and is laughing.

She insists that the letter h is pronounced "haych"  as in, "e, f, g, haych, i..."  H is "aych"!!  It just is!!!!

She's in the background repeating, "It's haych, Mom."

1.  Does anyone else have a goofy kid that uses alternate pronunciations for letter names?

2.  How did I not notice she was doing this???  Like, seriously, she's TWELVE and I just now noticed she says "haych" not "aych."  (Note from child:  "You can just say I'm 13, Mom, because... rounding.  Rounding's the best." :) )

Tell her rounding IS the best.  :)

FWIW, my mother always says srimp instead of SHrimp.  She does not acknowledge that she says shrimp without the "sh".  My dad would always say aiggs instead of eggs.  In fact, most of his short e sounds sounded more like long "a".

I think a lot of people have quirks.  I am positive I must have quirks, too.  :)

• Like 1

I believe the "haytch" pronunciation is common in some regions of the English-speaking world, but don't ask me which ones :)

Note from child:  "You can just say I'm 13, Mom, because... rounding.  Rounding's the best."

Oh? When's her birthday? If it's soon, I hope she has a happy one :) (And I guess I hope she has a happy one of it's far away, too...?)

• Like 3

I always thought envelope was spelled "enthelope", so that's how I said it.  My husband realized this shortly into our marriage, and went on a campaign to correct my pronunciation.  It took eight years, but I now say "envelope" correctly.

When my son was learning to read, he spoke with a Bostonian accent.  It wasn't that he *couldn't* say his R's...he just didn't.  I remember him sounding out a word:  "ssssst...arrrrr...t.  Oh, staht."  It was quite cute, but again, my husband worked on correcting him.  There was a lot of pirate talk going on for months.  Now, my husband misses those little pronunciations!

ETA: I did learn how to spell envelope in upper elementary school.  But the pronunciation was already in my head the wrong way!

Edited by greenbeanmama
  • Like 1

When I was very young I thought my name (Heather) was spelled h-e-h-e-h-e-r.... when saying it fast the a-t sounded like another h-e to me.

My daughter called a telephone a "talka-phone".... which has become a thing for our family jow

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I always thought envelope was spelled "enthelope", so that's how I said it.  My husband realized this shortly into our marriage, and went on a campaign to correct my pronunciation.  It took eight years, but I now say "envelope" correctly.

When my son was learning to read, he spoke with a Bostonian accent.  It wasn't that he *couldn't* say his R's...he just didn't.  I remember him sounding out a word:  "ssssst...arrrrr...t.  Oh, staht."  It was quite cute, but again, my husband worked on correcting him.  There was a lot of pirate talk going on for months.  Now, my husband misses those little pronunciations!

ETA: I did learn how to spell envelope in upper elementary school.  But the pronunciation was already in my head the wrong way!

As a small child, I thought information was imformation, and spelled it wrong for quite a while.

Envelope was always pronounced ON-verlope in my family.

The letter H was pronounced "aitch", and "haitch" was a shibboleth to identify a stupid, uneducated or otherwise undesirable (in the eyes of my mother) person. (I think "haitch" is much more common in Australia than it was 30 years ago, and has probably taken over as the dominant form. One of my daughters said she was the only "aitcher" in her class at school.)

I think my worst sin was pronouncing "thank you" as "thenk you". I still have to think about that one to get it right.

Edited by IsabelC

My dad would always say aiggs instead of eggs.  In fact, most of his short e sounds sounded more like long "a".

I think a lot of people have quirks.  I am positive I must have quirks, too.   :)

Interesting. I say aiggs for eggs. I have to be very careful when eggs comes up in a reading passage that I don't pronounce it funny and confuse my son.  :laugh:

And I just remembered being teased mercilessly by a friend and her mom (!) for saying baig for bag. Guess I like long a. 

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 1

Interesting. I say aiggs for eggs. I have to be very careful when eggs comes up in a reading passage that I don't pronounce it funny and confuse my son.  :laugh:

And I just remembered being teased mercilessly by a friend and her mom (!) for saying baig for bag. Guess I like long a. 

:lol: