Menu

Keystone? K12? Other online? Who's using online classes?

I've been combing the forum for online high school class options, and I'm mainly left more confused than when I started! I want something simple and inexpensive. It doesn't have to be crazy rigorous, but I do want my son to attend college. I don't plan on the online courses being his only source of education, we have a great homeschool coop. That said, I can't do it all myself, and I don't want to fight with him. I'd love to get him into something great for science, history, and English. We have TT for math. 

Keystone looks fine IMO, but I'm not sure how *he* feels about no actual classes. Is there something out there with live classes that won't break the bank? We used WTMA for history this year for 8th grade, but honestly...the amount of writing they require already is nuts. I'm not going to enroll him there and have him struggling to write multiple papers a week. Keystone seems to have bad reviews from, like, one person here on the boards repeating the same stories. Has anyone actually used it?

American School looks...easy? IDK. Maybe just boring?

I'd like flexibility, but also the option for some live classes. Maybe what we need doesn't exist. Athena's Academy was awesome. Some of the online schools like expensive textbooks put on the screen, lol. I do hate signing away our whole year to a class schedule. 

Edited by truebluexf
  • Like 1

Are you looking for something self-paced, or live meeting once a week, or ...?   How independent is your child?  Most live on-line classes DD has done have required a tremendous amount of work outside of class because the class itself only meets once a week.  She has needed my help to get set up and organized and to stay on pace (although she is definitely getting more independent in this department).   Maybe a local tutor would work better?  Perhaps a homeschooled high schooler looking to earn a bit of extra cash?  You could set the curriculum and they could work with you on pacing and also being the primary instructor.

• Like 1

We went with Texas Tech.  While there are no live classes, many of the teachers were very responsive and created videos, slides, and other aids for the class.  The flexibility was very nice for us.  My kid was able to rotate through classes and do them at his pace.

• Like 2

Please be aware of the differences between Synchronous and Asynchronous "Distance Learning" courses. You seem to want courses that are "Synchronous" with scheduled online classes.  You mentioned Keystone. When I was first on WTM there was a girl who was living in an RV in FL with her family. I believe she was taking Keystone courses. I don't know if they were Synchronous or Asynchronous courses. Keystone and K12 are among the brands of the K12 Corporation. "Online" courses from TTUISD are Asynchronous and do not have the live scheduled classes that you are seeking. GL with your choice.

Do you want something that has all of those subjects in one?  Or are you just looking for those subjects to outsource?  What we did was to start with the plan for high school, and decide what we wanted to fit in and when.  Then, I looked for each individual subject that we wanted to outsource, and found the class that was the best fit for us.  It does seem overwhelming at first, but if you break it down like that, and look at them one at a time, it helps.  We found more personalized classes that way, with lots of interaction with the professor.

We've used the Virtual Homeschool Group for both asynchronous and synchronous online classes and I've been pleased. Classes are free and led by volunteers. The only issue I've had is in class selection, as the live online classes change each year depending on what folks volunteer to teach (so hard to plan in advance as you don't know what will be available until mid-summer) and the majority are very Christian-specific (like Apologia for science, which doesn't work for us but may not be a problem for you). We have had good success with math, a literature class on the effects of inequality on literature and culture, Spanish, and the classics book club over the last few years.

Thanks! I've seen the one with a zillion links, but there are few reviews from members here. I do understand synchronous vs asynchronous, and would be happy with a mix. I've since been led to Bravewriter for some writing classes, and that looks like a good fit. Live interaction in discussion groups, shorter class terms (6 weeks) so we aren't locked in for an entire year. 

I'd like to hear more about recent Keystone experience, as I don't think they were always part of K12, though I'm not sure. 

We went with Texas Tech.  While there are no live classes, many of the teachers were very responsive and created videos, slides, and other aids for the class.  The flexibility was very nice for us.  My kid was able to rotate through classes and do them at his pace.

That's great to hear! What's the deal with their proctored exams? I have to pay someone to watch him take a test at the end of class?

• Like 1

That's great to hear! What's the deal with their proctored exams? I have to pay someone to watch him take a test at the end of class?

Yep.  We pay $12-$20 for the proctor through a testing site here.  She gets an email sent to her with the test code or a booklet through snail mail.  He goes in, takes the test, and usually knows within a week what his grade for the class is.  It's a pain (my youngest at one point associated the test site with being "school") but it is one of the ways they keep their accreditation.  It was worth it to us because my son then went to a public school and had no problems integrating.

I have heard that people like Time4 learning or Acellus for online learning. I have not used Acellus but I have looked at sample lectures online. They look pretty good in my opinion. I have always had that open as an option if my health conditions get worse and I can't function to teach all 4 of my kids. Here's a link to check out the classes.

https://www.acellus.com/browse-courses.php

Time4 learning looks neat for the younger classes, but the older ones don't look as complete as I think they should be.

http://www.time4learning.com/

The price is around 30 dollars a month for these or less depending on the grades of your kiddos.

I am using some BJU distance learning classes this year with my girls. While I love so much about them, there are things I definately do not love.

I haven't thought of the WTM classes for my high schooler to be, only because of the price. While I am sure they are totally worth it, and more,..I just.cant.afford it next year.

I've seen samples of the online classes from Silicon Valley High School. They are 50 dollars a semester or 100 dollars for the year. It is all online recorded teachers/ classes and all the tests and quizzes are online as well. There are online material to read as well.

They are A-G qualified, if that even matters to you. It doesn't to me.

http://www.svhs.co/

Just some info for you. None of these are live classes, but they are go at your own pace.

Edited by Peacefulisle

Homeschool Connections is a Catholic provider. They have recorded options (unlimited access to all their recorded classes - some have the option to have a teacher help grade for an additional fee) and live options.

I'm not sure how Catholic their classes are since they use pretty general texts for math & science. I know a couple of families who very happily use their unlimited recorded option. Both families are looking to add one or two live classes to the mix next year and/or get the teacher-grading option added to a recorded writing class.

I may end up going with the recorded option for dd#1's Alg 2 next year depending on how she does on her own. It makes more sense to have several kids or several classes going through them to make it more affordable. However, I'd pay more than $330 a year (which is their unlimited recording rate) if I was having her do a live class, so it might still be worth it.

Yes, You must use an Approved Proctor. Ours is a woman who teaches Chemistry.  It is only for the Final Examinations at the end of the semester.  Also, TTUISD students *MUST* pass the Final Examination, which is 25% of the grade for the semester.    I seem to recall that if you are in the USA you might be able to use a local LIbrarian, someone in your local school district, testing center, etc., for the Approved Proctor.  

I am acquainted with a family who uses Keystone for High School.  Freshman year they tried a couple different providers and have stuck with Keystone as their primary online provider.  Mom says she likes Keystone because she has felt her son received feedback sooner than the others she tried.  She also felt the interaction between her son and teacher were positive- expectations were clear and the assignments were thoroughly graded- like papers and feedback for her son was spot on.  But I have had no personal experience with them.  HTH!

• Like 1