Menu

Dr Hive - idea about what this is?

school17777

I am planning on calling the dr in the morning, but thought I'd check with you guys for ideas about what might be going on with dd until then.

7 yr dd woke up on Friday with a low-grade fever, sore throat, achy belly, plus snotty nose (yucky type of snot - sorry!), and headache - out of no where. She was totally fine the night before. We don't know anyone else sick.

She had those symptoms plus flushed cheeks up through Sunday morning. By Monday morning, she seemed pretty much fine except for her flushed cheeks. Now tonight, the flushed cheeks are gone, but she has pimples on the one side of her face - cheeks and top of lip - only on one side and she seems like she doesn't feel well again. Also, her stomach/trunk feels sort of sand papery, not smooth.

I was thinking Fifth Disease because of the red cheeks, but now with the pimples, I am not sure.

What could this be?

My daughter had that three weeks ago. Started with the sudden onset of "acne" (rash) that lasted two days, then high fever, sore throat, cough, & stomach pain. It was going around her school, many children were absent. One child was in the hospital overnight with a fever of 106. It went through our family with symptoms lasting up to 10 days. We did not go to the doctor so I am not sure what it was other than a virus of some kind.  Other people have speculated it was a flu virus that the vaccine didn't cover. The doctor should have more information.

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 1

If it turns out to be strep, I will feel so terrible for not taking her in sooner. I kept peeking at her throat and I didn't see any white spots. I don't think I've taken a kid in for a sore throat in 14 years. She seemed like she was getting better up until tonight.

It definitely sounds like scarlet fever to me, or strep with a rash (common).  

I would absolutely take her to the doctor and give her a full course of antibiotics if the doctor feels it is SF or Strep.  There are several long term complications from untreated strep infections.  My sister and brother both had rheumatic fever and my sister ended up with RA from it.  Google PANDAs if you want another reason to treat all strep infections thoroughly with antibiotics.

You also many want to consider measles.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

That sounds like strep to me. DS and I just had it and I waited longer than I should have to take him in too. He had a sore throat, headache, and upset stomach for about 36 hours and then he was fine, so I didn't take him in. A week later, I was miserable with the worst sore throat I've had in about a decade that lasted through the weekend, so I had us both checked Monday. We both had it. The PA said that kids can seemingly bounce back quickly but still have the infection.

Those of you who guessed strep and scarlet fever were correct. I am worn out from the dr's visit (a 40 minute drive one way). and then waiting at the pharmacy. Dd seems fine, just her voice is raspy and her face has the rash. She is not to return to school until her rash is gone. It came fast, so it may go fast too, now that she is on an antibiotic.

• Like 1

Those of you who guessed strep and scarlet fever were correct. I am worn out from the dr's visit (a 40 minute drive one way). and then waiting at the pharmacy. Dd seems fine, just her voice is raspy and her face has the rash. She is not to return to school until her rash is gone. It came fast, so it may go fast too, now that she is on an antibiotic.