Menu

Will MUS Alpha and Beta get dd solid on her facts?

jkl

I can't decide what math to use for dd7.  This year we did a messy hodgepodge of stuff and I need something more streamlined for 2nd grade.  ds did R&S 2 and is so solid on his addition and subtraction facts.  I'm considering it for dd, but I know she will HATE it (like ds did--he still talks about the torture of "The Pink Math") and I am concerned that it will put her "behind" if we switched in 3rd grade, since I don't plan on using R&S beyond level 2.  I am considering putting her through MUS alpha and Beta instead, but I'm wondering if I'll then have to use something else to drill facts...

MUS Alpha is all about addition facts.  MUS Beta is all about multidigit addition and subtraction.  MUS Gamma is all about multiplication facts and multidigit multiplication.  MUS Delta is all about division facts and multidigit division.

MUS (elementary) is actually a pretty good program, but you have to be tolerant of a very different scope and sequence.

MUS was fine for my oldest son who quickly picks up on math concepts (he also hated R&S math...we switched from that to MUS). 

But MUS was not fine for my youngest son who does not quickly pick up on math concepts.  For him, I had to switch him to CLE. 

MUS is mastery.  The child is taught something new and is expected to master it before moving on to the next new thing.  Some kids do great with this.  My oldest did and my youngest didn't.  CLE is spiral.  A tiny bit of something new is taught every day and the rest of the lesson is constant review.  Constant, constant review.  MUS has a bit of review, but no where near what CLE has. 

So...if your child picks up on math quickly and can say, "Yup, got it," after a few lessons, then MUS will work fine.  But if she struggles and forgets and can't seem to retain anything, then a spiral program would be better.

Edited by Garga

If you are looking for just math facts, I would drill. Or maybe try something like Times Tables the Fun Way. I think they have something for addition too. Also, there are nice little apps for math facts. I would come up with creative things to do. Like one day have her "make ten." She can write out facts that make ten. You can then verbally quiz her. Then another day, "make nine." And so on. 

We have liked MUS.  I think if your kid does well with drills, then MUS would work because you basically drill until they get the set of facts, then move on.  You can even do this without MUS, but we like the structure and the blocks.  If she already knows some basic addition, you are going to go through Alpha pretty fast, then probably spend a more time on Beta.  I think you would be on track this way for 2nd grade.  If you don't think she needs Alpha you can go straight to Beta but don't skip the intro lessons telling you about decimal street and how to use the blocks.  

We did use iPad apps for drilling to help with mastery.  Also, the worksheets in the workbook.  And printouts from the MUS website and other places like math-aids.com.  I don't think we NEEDED to use anything else to drill the facts, we just like to switch it up.

Thanks everyone. Still debating...

I vote for using Kate Snow's Addition Facts That Stick. It is a free mini-course available on her blog. In about 6 weeks my 6-year old had her addition (and subtraction) facts down cold. There is very little drill, but somehow the mini-lessons paired with very smart games was enough to lead to mastery. After this, you can use whatever grade-level math you prefer to teach the remainder of 2nd grade topics.

Depending on what you have...MUS can be expensive for simply remedial addition/subtraction work. You'd need the blocks, as well as the manuals/dvds, plus the student packs if you want written work.  That's at least $150.  And I do love MUS for how it helped my kid see multiplication/division/fractions...I just think you may regret spending the money for essentially drill.

You may want to look at the Gattegno math book online and get a set of c-rods.  Same concept, but your cost is now at less than $20 and you don't feel hemmed in by two books' worth of worksheets.  Or add in some MEP 1, which has lots of drill and number play.  You can still use c-rods with it, or any other block you choose.  Print out only what you need.

• Like 1