Menu

Gift for Graduation Photo Photographer

Eliz

My older daughter is graduating from high school this year!  She's active in several organizations.  One of the adult liaisons who is a graphic designer and photographer has offered to take her senior pictures at no charge.  My budget is really tight so this is something special I would like to acknowledge.  What would be an appropriate gift? We were thinking of a gift card for maybe $25.  It's a lot of money for me, but it's not very much either, if you know what I mean.  This lovely lady is not a family friend who we might expect to give my daughter a graduation present.  Suggestions please!

• Like 1

I think $25 is nice. Make sure it is for a place she will use- for example, if I got a $25 gift card to a particular store, I might not normally shop there, KWIM?  Visa gift cards are always nice.

Also, as what social media the photographer uses and ask if she's like you to write reviews there. A family friend gave us a MASSIVE discount on our family portraits, and I "liked" "shared" "tagged" and otherwise promoted her, helping her to get at least a few bookings she other wise would not have. Of course, NEVER mention your "special discount" but rather focus on the excellent work.

And CONGRATS to your DD! :party:

• Like 3

Since she's not expecting anything, then anything you give is a bonus. Give the $25 as a Visa card (or some other such type of card.). If she's a photographer, she'll probably need more equipment and photography equipment is crazy-expensive so she could put that money you give to her toward more equipment.

A nice review online is a great idea.

• Like 4

My daughters and I just got home from the photo shootl  It was beyond anything I had imagined.  This wonderful lady spent almost 1 1/2 hours taking pictures of not only my older daughter, but some family shots as well.  It was incredible.  This is the first time I've experienced an actual photo shoot.  Usually we've had pictures taken at Target or Penney's, somewhere like that or I'm out with a point & shoot camera doing my best.   We went to two different places in our area.  My older daughter even had a change of clothes.  I'm blown away!

I've had a rough few weeks with my job and with other issues, so this is one of those moments that puts everything else in the right perspective! 

• Like 5

If you don't have the money, is there a service you can exchange? Is there anything you can make/do for her instead of the money? Or can your student do/make anything?

I really like this idea, but haven't come up with anything I could offer yet.  My older daughter does quilling.  We're thinking of a gift card and a handmade thank you card with quilling.

If you don't know what quilling is (I didn't), it's a paper art.  When my daughter first talked about quilling, I though she was going to make a quilt!

ETA:  Leaving excellent reviews for her is a great and easy idea!!!! We're definately doing that with no mention of costs of course.

Edited by Eliz
  • Like 1

I did this for a friend who could not afford the standard photographer fees around here.  

My request to her was that she make a donation to a specific destination and never ever tell me whether they donated anything or if they did, how much it was.  Neither did the destination.  

That kept it a gift from me, and sort of "paid it forward" for someone truly in need.

You might send a card saying, "In gratitude, we have made a donation to...____"  

A good friend of mine did this for one of my dd's.  She did it partly to help, but also because she really enjoyed it.  I know that giving her a gift card to thank her would have been uncomfortable for her.  She was just so happy to help and be a part of it.  I wrote her a nice thank you note and I know that meant a lot to her.  We also met for lunch at some point, and I paid for her lunch.

However, if you're determined to give her something, I think a $25 gift card would be wonderful.  It could be to a local Walmart or Target or art store, or maybe a local restaurant that you think she might enjoy.  (We live in a very small town with not many options, so those are the places that come to mind.)

• Like 1