Menu

calling all out of the box thinkers.

ProudGrandma

we have a suburban and we tow a hybrid or expandable camper in the summer.  Up until this point we have put our bikes (3 total) inside the camper to tow, but we would prefer to not do that.  The bumper behind the camper is not strong enough for a hitch to hold a bike rack.  we saw on pinterst a bike rack that goes over the gas tank in front of the camper, but can't seem to find where to buy it.  

Does anybody else have any thoughts for us...surely there is something we can do.

thanks.

Totally dumb question, but how does one get the bikes onto a roof rack?

not a dumb question...we thought about on top too...but that was our question as well....how do we get them up there.

I never thought of in front of the suburban...I will look into that.  thanks.

• Like 1

not a dumb question...we thought about on top too...but that was our question as well....how do we get them up there.

I never thought of in front of the suburban...I will look into that.  thanks.

My husband "might" be able to manage that, but for absolute certain there is no way I could, and I could not even help him.  The height of a suburban is over a foot taller than me.  I mean really there is just no way. 

Totally dumb question, but how does one get the bikes onto a roof rack?

Not a dumb question at all, and I'm sure people have figured out different methods. My Dh is tall (6'2"), but still finds it much easier when he has someone to help him out. We usually send our oldest son up onto the roof of our Tahoe, and Dh passes the bikes up to him. 

• Like 1

Not a dumb question at all, and I'm sure people have figured out different methods. My Dh is tall (6'2"), but still finds it much easier when he has someone to help him out. We usually send our oldest son up onto the roof of our Tahoe, and Dh passes the bikes up to him. 

Yeah see that's the problem.  DH is not that tall, but he would be the only one tall enough. 

I am looking into a bike rack myself at the moment.  I can't seem to find one that holds four bikes. 

Yeah see that's the problem. DH is not that tall, but he would be the only one tall enough.

I am looking into a bike rack myself at the moment. I can't seem to find one that holds four bikes.

We have a 3-bike thule, meaning that it has three sets of tie downs. We wedge a fourth bike onto it in between two others and it works fine.