Menu

Help! Gift suggestions for a girl who likes to draw and sew

trulycrabby

With our house of boys, I have never had to think about getting a birthday gift for a delightful 10 year-old girl who likes art and loves to sew. Please help the clueless and craftless! :o

I have already gotten her some neon sidewalk chalk, so at least there's something to give her.

If she likes crafts generally, a hat loom and a ball of bulky yarn could be a good gift.  I've done hat looming with many kids in this age range and it's always a hit for crafty kids! 

Here's a set.  If you can find a 8 to 9" loom, that's the most usable size. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10727494?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=14&adid=22222222227000020503&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40940613032&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78877215392&veh=sem

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

I have a daughter who loved and still loves to draw.

I'd suggest a nice set of quality art pencils.  This is my daughter's favorite kind:

LYRA Super Ferby Unlacquered Triangular Giant Colored Pencils, Set of 18 Pencils

Here's a smaller set:

LYRA Ferby Unlacquered Triangular Colored Pencils, Set of 12 Pencils

My daughter also loved and still loves to bead.  Here's one such loom:

Beadsmith Bead Loom Kit for Beginners

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Klutz makes some nice kits.  Dd has a jewelry making kit of their that she really liked.  She took what she learned and went on to make some very interesting pieces.

Fabric sets?  I'm thinking charm packs or jellyrolls or fat quarters.

Does she like fiber crafts like knitting or crocheting?  Bags of yarn  are nice.  Or if she would like to start..then a beginner kit.  Dd received a sock loom kit one year for Christmas she liked

beginning small quilt kit. 

• Like 2

I gave my niece a large box stuffed to the brim with random art 'stuff'... lengths of ribbon, buttons, glitter, scraps of fabric, popsicle sticks, pieces of felt, thread, needles, stickers, fabric markers, paint, good paper, small balls of yarn, etc... She was thrilled!

• Like 1

Klutz makes some nice kits. Dd has a jewelry making kit of their that she really liked. She took what she learned and went on to make some very interesting pieces.

Fabric sets? I'm thinking charm packs or jellyrolls or fat quarters.

Does she like fiber crafts like knitting or crocheting? Bags of yarn are nice. Or if she would like to start..then a beginner kit. Dd received a sock loom kit one year for Christmas she liked

beginning small quilt kit.

I don't know if she likes to knit, but I could ask.

I don't know if she likes to knit, but I could ask.

Hat looms are a perfect first step for kids interested in needlework (knit or crochet).  I always teach hat looms first (I've taught some groups of kids).  It gives kids an opportunity to work with tension and get a feel for that before they're thinking about what to do with a needle. 

I swear I have no affiliation with any hat loom manufacturers.  ;)

• Like 1