Menu

Recommend a solution to my smelly birds?

SKL

People are starting to complain about the way the birds smell.  Even after I clean the cage there is a smell.  Birds don't like cold / drafts, nor chemical fumes, so I can't just open the windows on a cool day or spray air freshener.  What do you do if you have a smell in the house and you can't just get rid of the source?

I found these pebbles at Home Depot back when I was dealing with The Great Basement Freezer Failure of '12, and they actually work.  I still use them for general basement mustiness.  OdoBan spray was the best thing I found for the overwhelming immediate stench, but I doubt that your birds are quite at "Call 911, Mavis; someone's died in our house" level.

I'd use a HEPA air filter cleaner thing (great for allergens, too, which can be an issue with birds in the house). There are nice ones for $100 or so on Amazon. Put it in the room with the birds and/or whatever room people occupy nearby. They are slightly noisy, which I like in bedrooms as they provide some white noise, but in living space, you might want it in a space where you aren't watching TV (or at least fairly far from where people sit to listen). Love HEPA room air cleaners. Huge help with allergens. 

I agree about plastics in the cage. Replace with metal and ceramic if you have plastics in there. 

Of course your birds should bathe regularly for their health.