Menu

DIY gatorade recipe - ratio of various electrolytes?

mathnerd

I am trying to make DIY gatorade - I am planning on using natural juice and salt, salt substitute (KCl for potassium), Nature Calm Magnesium Calcium powder (Mg and Ca) and a natural sweetener. I do not know how much the ratio of the electrolytes are to each other. There are several internet recipes and they all have different measures for the ingredients. Some only use salt and some a combination of electrolytes. This is for my son who is training with his coach 1.5 hours twice a week and he sweats a lot to the point of dehydration. I want to avoid the chemical dyes in gatorade. Can you please help me out with proportions? TIA! 

Edited by mathnerd

I don't know the proportions in gatorade, but I know if you use 1 part lite salt and 1 part table salt it's the same ratio of sodium and potassium that's in the blood.  I wouldn't use juice though, because the fructose in juice would likely cause diarrhea.

I don't know the proportions in gatorade, but I know if you use 1 part lite salt and 1 part table salt it's the same ratio of sodium and potassium that's in the blood.  I wouldn't use juice though, because the fructose in juice would likely cause diarrhea.

Thank you. So, what is your recommendation for a sweetener for the electrolyte drink? Will plain sugar work?

there is a recipe for emergency oral rehydration solution which is used post disaster or during epidemics in areas of limited medical support.  

I would think about using something like a fruit syrup for the sugar. Like Torani raspberry has 23 g of sugar / 2 Tbsp. Mix that with the salt & water & shake well. 

Wikipedia: 
"A basic oral rehydration therapy solution can also be prepared when packets of oral rehydration salts are not available. It can be made using 6 level teaspoons (25.2 grams) of sugar and 0.5 teaspoon (2.1 grams) of salt in 1 litre of water.[17][18] The molar ratio of sugar to salt should be 1:1 and the solution should not be hyperosmolar.[19] The Rehydration Project states, "Making the mixture a little diluted (with more than 1 litre of clean water) is not harmful."[20]"   

• Like 1

I was going to say that, hornblower. I figure that if ORT works for cholera victims, it will work for just about anybody.

From the last time we had some awful disease made us throw up and poop, I'll say that if you make ORT with rice water and add in a squeeze of lemon juice it tastes JUST LIKE Gatorade. We used raw sugar, because that's what we have.

try coconut water.

gatorade is comparable to medical hydration/electrolyte products (it was compared to pedialyte and a medical rehydration/electrolyte drink whose name I do not recall for patients who were hospitalized with gastroenteritis.)- but weaknesses are it doesn't have enough salt or potassium.   I was doing lots of reading on this subject when I saw how much sugar is in Gatorade.   (while drinking it instead of a medical hydration drink - and I really needed it for rehydration and restoration of electrolytes.)

even the medical hydration drinks have a lot of sugar.  (not as much - but a lot.)