Menu

creative cooks, help me brainstorm this...

SparklyUnicorn

No onions of any type? No scallions or shallots? I'd use those if they were an option, but if not, just leave them out and maybe add some extra garlic. Roasted peppers would add some flavor, or you could roast the garlic. If you like cilantro, you could add lots of it.

• Like 1

No onions of any type? No scallions or shallots? I'd use those if they were an option, but if not, just leave them out and maybe add some extra garlic. Roasted peppers would add some flavor, or you could roast the garlic. If you like cilantro, you could add lots of it.

no onions

oh crap..no cilantro either

roasted garlic...love that idea 

Oh boy!!! Tough one. Salsa with out some sort of onion (red, green, yellow, sweet...you name it!) is like pb and J without pb. Sorry, this onion lover can't help much :)

I understand it probably sounds weird.  Then again I do think with the tomatoes and peppers also being major ingredients it can still be decent.

I don't think it's up there with asking someone to brainstorm French onion soup without the onions.  LOL

• Like 2

I googled it... and found a blog called Stupid Onions. There's an onion free salsa recipe on there. You might be onto something with the vinegar.

ETA: Bacon truffle recipe on there too... interesting. I've been wanting to do candied bacon for a while, might try those too.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

With no onions or cilantro, maybe go another direction--mangoes and jalapenos or corn and beans?

This is what I was thinking. To me, it isn't salsa with no onions or cilantro. They are too integral to the flavor. However, a nice mango salsa could be made without either.

I wonder how something like fennel would be.

I have started using fennel instead of onion, because it gives some crunch.   And the flavor is interesting.  Don't know how it would work in a salsa...but it might be fun to try!

I understand it probably sounds weird. Then again I do think with the tomatoes and peppers also being major ingredients it can still be decent.

I don't think it's up there with asking someone to brainstorm French onion soup without the onions. LOL

Lol! I'm sure it can be done with many other ingredients. I just love onion too much :) I think dh would also scratch his head if I asked him to make salsa without it? We both are onion lovers

I like a fresh salsa with drained, canned black beans, frozen corn (thawed on countertop/still cold), chopped grape tomatoes, garlic salt, pepper, fresh lime juice. I also like lots of cilantro--- you said no to that though, so leave it out. :) It tastes even better if you let it hang out for awhile before eating.