Menu

Thank you card for a thank you gift?

Tap

I recently went out of my way for two people at work and saved them both a bit of money.  

One person, gave me a gift certificate for a $30 hanging basket at a local nursery.

The second person, I saved her about $300 (only about 15 minutes of work-so I don't really deserve anything for it), and she gave me a sweet card and a $50 gift card.

I always stumble in these situations.  I don't typically send thank you cards for small thank you gifts. At my work we get  small thank you gifts from our patients about every 2-4 weeks.  Usually a bag of chocolates, like Hersheys Kisses or such. I wouldn't send a thank you card for that.

But since these are both nicer gifts...I don't know what is proper.  I am a very, improper girl, and wasn't raised to write thank you notes....in my family we call and talk to the person or thank them in-person instead.  We prefer a more personal touch than a formal card.

WWYD At what point do you send a thank you, for the thank you, card.

Edited by Tap

Did you not see them when they delivered the items? If you saw them in person and thanked them at that time, then I wouldn't worry too much since they were going out of their way to thank you. If you just found it on your desk or something then I would be sure to touch base with them. Acknowledging that you got it and thank them. I think the whole point is to convey a message. What method you choose may or may not matter.

I was raised with sending thank you notes. I usually have a stash of stationery at any given moment. Some of it is blank note cards and some of it actually says "thank you" and there are others. I like to be prepared haha. But I also just like snail mail sometimes and I'll send cards for other reasons. Sometimes you can find a pack of thank you cards at Michaels in bins near the front of the store or even in the dollar store, etc.

I don't send a thank you every time my family members do something. These days most thank you notes are for non family members.

I recently went out of my way for two people at work and saved them both a bit of money.  

One person, gave me a gift certificate for a $30 hanging basket at a local nursery.

The second person, I saved her about $300 (only about 15 minutes of work-so I don't really deserve anything for it), and she gave me a sweet card and a $50 gift card.

I always stumble in these situations.  I don't typically send thank you cards for small thank you gifts. At my work we get  small thank you gifts from our patients about every 2-4 weeks.  Usually a bag of chocolates, like Hersheys Kisses or such. I wouldn't send a thank you card for that.

But since these are both nicer gifts...I don't know what is proper.  I am a very, improper girl, and wasn't raised to write thank you notes....in my family we call and talk to the person or thank them in-person instead.  We prefer a more personal touch than a formal card.

WWYD At what point do you send a thank you, for the thank you, card.

First, even if you didn't expect anything for your 15 minutes of time, that doesn't mean you didn't deserve a show of their appreciation.  DH fixed a friend's computer- all she really wanted was her files for work to be retrieved, but did that and fixed the entire thing. She blessed him with a generous gift card because he saved her not only the cost of a new computer but the time involved remaking ALL of her files for her classes that she teaches. It was not expected, but it gave HER great joy to show her appreciation.

So anyway, about your coworkers: If you don't want to give them an actual card, next time you see them just tell them in person how lovely the plant looks on your porch, and the other how you enjoyed treating yourself to whatever you used it for.

• Like 1