Menu

Anyone else without a decision yet?

GoodGrief

Ds made a decision on Friday, but I am giving it another day or so to be sure.  He had it down to 2 schools already.  I thought we would be down to the wire.  This is still cutting it close for me!

Edited by shanvan
  • Like 1

My dd is visiting one last school right now, with the expectations that it will probably be the one she chooses. It wasn't one she was looking at last fall, but now she's realizing the potential of the school.  It's about 9 hours away, so she went off with her dad and sister.  

We just finished visits late last week, and most schools are off the table. The final two are tough though, and I can see why my daughter is wavering. McKive, I hope she returns feeling confident about her choice! And Shanvan, here's to depositing SOON! :-)

• Like 1

I posted in the decision thread, but we are without a decision.

Dd was all set until she looked at what her class sizes will be in the fall (which is nothing like the average class sizes for the University). So then she decided to re-look at her #2 choice. She had put an ap in back in Dec. but never sent ACT scores and transcript. We did those things in late March and went for a visit in early April. She LOVED it.

She really wants to go to choice B now. Unfortunately, they still don't have her ACT scores, and won't evaluate her transfer credit until she is accepted. We have contacted the ACT board and it seems the college receives scores every 2 weeks, but for some reason hers weren't included in the batch sent 12 days after we requested them :glare: . So the scores were sent this week (on CD by mail) and should finally be there and be entered any day now. In the mean time, they said they'd accept Compass scores and those were mailed 2 weeks ago, but they still can't find them either :svengo:. It is a good thing we don't judge schools based solely on admissions.

So, we are hoping next week will be the week she finally gets officially accepted (her ACT scores give her guaranteed acceptance) and we can proceed with checking on transfer credits and make sure she wouldn't lose a semester to the choice. She will lose a scholarship, but the new school is an inexpensive state school, out state, but they give us in-state tuition, so it works for us.

This is me right now.

:toetap05: :toetap05: :toetap05:

• Like 2

Yes!!! And it's driving me crazy. Unfortunately ds hasn't been very motivated and my health hasn't been very good so we didn't visit many colleges. He has narrowed it down to 3.

First school is university of Louisville. There are about 15k undergrad. . He likes this school but since it isn't division 1 so he wouldn't be able to run track. It is about 5 hours away partially in heavy traffic. It has a good sports management program with a lot of interning possibilities nearby. He likes that it is a bit warmer than Chicago.

He is also thinking of University of Wisconsin LaCrosse. It is about a 4 hour drive but most of it isn't bad. They also have a good program. They have about 10k. His older sister goes there and likes it. It is division 3 so it's possible he could run track. He got an injury in March so he was holding off on contacting the coach. This is his 2nd year running. He does well but isn't as quick as he would like to be. His injury is holding him back otherwise his coach thinks he would be close to qualifying for state. He is still one of the schools top runners. He might still be able to run in a relay and would most likely at least be an alternate at state. He would most likely be able to "walk on" and try out next year if he heals. He is still running but in pain. He doesn't necessarily want to go north. The area is beautiful though and there are a ton of student activities. It is more compact than Louisville.

His third choice would be going to the community college. They want him to run cross country there and he would get a partial scholarship. He won't get any scholarships at the other schools. It is 5 min away so convenient but he really wants to go out of state. Also be really wants to run track and this school only has cross country. His sister went there and got her associates but regrets it. It is ranked high. She had plenty of homework and studying but she got straight A's. 2nd semester at UW-LAX (sons 2nd choice) she switched majors from sports management to biology. Unfortunately she has had a lot of complications this year: Flu the 2nd week of school. Severe chronic migraines for past year or so that they just got control of a few months ago and then a pretty severe case of mono just in time for finals 1st semester lasting well into 2nd semester. Quite honesty I still don't think she is recovered.

Anyway, she took chemistry and two biology classes at the community college and is taking a 200 level class now. She is really struggling in it and feels that the community college classes did not prepare her for this. She said it would have been better to start off there as a freshman taking 100 level classes and ease into it. She also said socially it is hard for transfers. Even with 10k many people already knew each other and the freshman tend to stick together (same dorms, eat together etc). It has taken her awhile just to make a few friends.

So I have no idea how to advise my son. He was homeschooled through 8th grade. Something happened in 6th grade and be seemed to lose his "math brain". He was ready to start algebra 1 and then seemed to forget everything else so we went back to pre algebra. He went to public high school. He is an ok student with a B average and an average ACT. I think he could have done better. Quite honestly I wasn't thrilled with his high school academically. Freshman year he was getting Ds and Fs on math tests but always turned in his math homework and did well in class activities so he was getting a B in the class. The teacher and counsellors couldn't understand my concern. He has always had a study hall but rarely has homework even this year with some fairly hard classes: government, physics, college algebra etc so not fluff class's necessarily.

Regardless it is too late now to do anything so he has to decide what would be best for him. The community college would probably be easier academically but then he would have a real jump when he transfers. He also has to decide whether or not he wants to run track and of course there are no guarantees with that.

I posted in the decision thread, but we are without a decision.

Dd was all set until she looked at what her class sizes will be in the fall (which is nothing like the average class sizes for the University). So then she decided to re-look at her #2 choice. She had put an ap in back in Dec. but never sent ACT scores and transcript. We did those things in late March and went for a visit in early April. She LOVED it.

She really wants to go to choice B now. Unfortunately, they still don't have her ACT scores, and won't evaluate her transfer credit until she is accepted. We have contacted the ACT board and it seems the college receives scores every 2 weeks, but for some reason hers weren't included in the batch sent 12 days after we requested them :glare: . So the scores were sent this week (on CD by mail) and should finally be there and be entered any day now. In the mean time, they said they'd accept Compass scores and those were mailed 2 weeks ago, but they still can't find them either :svengo:. It is a good thing we don't judge schools based solely on admissions.

So, we are hoping next week will be the week she finally gets officially accepted (her ACT scores give her guaranteed acceptance) and we can proceed with checking on transfer credits and make sure she wouldn't lose a semester to the choice. She will lose a scholarship, but the new school is an inexpensive state school, out state, but they give us in-state tuition, so it works for us.

This is me right now.

:toetap05: :toetap05: :toetap05:

DS applied for a scholarship and wasn't able to get his test scores to them in time.  They were able to call College Board with his info (Name, DOB, Address, and test scores) and have the test score report we sent as a screen shot confirmed by Customer Service.

I don't know if the school would do that for you, but it might be a work around, given when you requested the score report.

• Like 2

Is today National Decision Day, or do you get an extra day this year because it falls on a Sunday?

My DD's school (she committed last week) is giving kids until Monday. But, I assume this might vary by school.