Menu

Need to hear experiences with the less expensive bamboo flooring

Pegasus

We really want to replace old carpeting in the bedrooms with a hard flooring because of allergies. However, we need to keep the cost down.  DH spotted a bamboo flooring at a local store but the price seems too good to be true (~$1.35/ft2).  Any experiences?  Will we regret going this route? 

The guy we bought our house from redid the downstairs with some of the (we assume) cheaper stuff from Home Depot. It dents like crazy! We've been here not even five years and the kitchen floor is covered in dents and scratches. I hope we can get another five years out of it before it looks too awful to keep.

I just pulled mine out that had been installed by the previous owner.  The house is only five years old.  It had buckled like crazy and I was watching it dent before my eyes.  We probably would have kept it a little longer (but not more than a year) if we hadn't already been doing another project, but I wouldn't recommend it.

A friend redid a room with inexpensive (she said) bamboo - she had a lot of denting, sun fading, and it warped easily.

Do you have pets? I'd suggest getting the hardest wood you can - check the Janko scale.

We have cork upstairs - it is not good with pets. I probably wouldn't put it in a living area.

You might check out a plantation grown tree - I can't remember the name some brands are calling it at the moment, but it's essentially rubber wood. It's hard, very pretty. Not good if you have latex allergies though!

It dents and scratches easily. My FIL convinced us to put this in our former home. The day after we installed it DH dropped a small screwdriver from a short distance and it left a big dent. After that it just kept accumulating marks from everyday living. In our current home we put down laminate until we can save up money for hardwood. It was only slightly more expensive than the bamboo but is much more durable. No dents or scratches after 5 years. The only issue we have is that it cannot tolerate standing water, which typically isn't too big of a deal.

We really want to replace old carpeting in the bedrooms with a hard flooring because of allergies. However, we need to keep the cost down.  DH spotted a bamboo flooring at a local store but the price seems too good to be true (~$1.35/ft2).  Any experiences?  Will we regret going this route? 

Do NOT go to Lumber Liquidators.  Their floors are filled with nasty chemicals and they have been sued.  A guy at the counter lied to my face when I asked about that. 

Verify the source and see if there are any complaints. 

Edited by TranquilMind

The previous owners put bamboo in parts of the house.  It's not the super cheap kind, but still cheap (1.99 per square foot).  It's held up quite nicely, though why they put it in the bathrooms I will never understand.  It's a bit warped in there.  It's just not for water rooms.  We haven't had a problem with dents.

We just put in Pergo and I love it.  Simply love it.  Had a flood and instead of replacing with cheap carpeting, went with that.  It wears so well, and was affordable.  Home Depot and Lowes often have installation specials for under $1/square foot. 

We live in a rental and the livingroom/hallway floor is crappy laminate.  The rest of the floors are decent(new) carpet or very nice tile.  So next year we're going to replace the floors at our own cost.  Being a rental there is no way I want to spend a bunch of $$ even though we plan on being here awhile.  So here's what we will be doing. Of course DH is very handy so cutting and installing this will be easy for him.