Menu

Should I put homeschooling down on my resume? Help please!

jjeepa

I am applying for a part time position with a company that places international students in American homes.  I will be working directly with the high school students that are placed here.  My last professional experience was in 1997.  Since then, I was married and had two kids.  I stayed home with them when they were little and didn't work.  Started volunteering in their school in 2007, and was the vice president and president of their school's PTF (Parent Teacher Fellowship) before pulling them out to homeschool in 2009.  I've had various volunteer experiences such as coordinating large events for the Women's Ministry Team at my church, and large service projects for the church as well...but nothing professional since 1997.  I am struggling with whether or not to include homeschooling on my resume and if I do, how to describe it. 

I searched the archives for help and found two threads, but I'm looking for more help if people are willing  :001_smile:  If you've been in this position, can you share with me why you did or didn't include homeschooling?  If you did, would you be willing to share what you included?  How do I describe a lifestyle?

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 1

I'd probably include it as "Home Educator," simply to provide info on the years since your last professional position. It would indicate that you haven't been "idle."  However, I would have absolutely no expectation that it would be seen as current, professional work experience in the eyes of those hiring.

If you are planning on seeking employment (if this position doesn't work out for you), it would probably be a good idea to take some sort of administration/office/computer software course. It would indicate to potential employers that your computing skills are current, even if your work experience is dated.  

Good luck!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

How cool! We hosted an exchange student from Austria a couple years ago. It was a neat experience. However, I have to admit that the coordinator who was supposed to be looking after/ checking in with the exchange student was a complete joke.

Edited by allySW

I put homeschooling on my cv and have received positive feedback. I put down: Home-educated two students to obtain accredited high school diploma from [our country]. Researched educational methods, analysed different routes to nationally-recognised exams and diplomas, and sourced materials and tutors from around the world for bilingual education programme.

What I tried to do was emphasize the skills that I thought would transfer well to my new professional role as lawyer, specifically research and analysis, with an emphasis on results that are recognized. I knew that that is what employers would want to see in an employee doing what I do.  From what you describe of your volunteer experience and homeschooling, I would think that you would have lots of transferable skills that will make you an attractive candidate!

• Like 5

I'd probably include it as "Home Educator," simply to provide info on the years since your last professional position. It would indicate that you haven't been "idle."  However, I would have absolutely no expectation that it would be seen as current, professional work experience in the eyes of those hiring.

If you are planning on seeking employment (if this position doesn't work out for you), it would probably be a good idea to take some sort of administration/office/computer software course. It would indicate to potential employers that your computing skills are current, even if your work experience is dated.  

Good luck!

I like "Home Educator."  Yeah, I've been concerned about the "idle" possibility if I don't put down something for those years.  

Great idea about taking a course to get up to date on technology.  Thanks!

How cool! We hosted an exchange student from Austria a couple years ago. It was a neat experience. However, I have to admit that the coordinator who was supposed to be looking after/ checking in with the exchange student was a complete joke.

What a shame! I'm really looking forward to spending time with the students.  It's the aspect of the job I'm most excited about.

I put homeschooling on my cv and have received positive feedback. I put down: Home-educated two students to obtain accredited high school diploma from [our country]. Researched educational methods, analysed different routes to nationally-recognised exams and diplomas, and sourced materials and tutors from around the world for bilingual education programme.

What I tried to do was emphasize the skills that I thought would transfer well to my new professional role as lawyer, specifically research and analysis, with an emphasis on results that are recognized. I knew that that is what employers would want to see in an employee doing what I do.  From what you describe of your volunteer experience and homeschooling, I would think that you would have lots of transferable skills that will make you an attractive candidate!

Thanks, I sure hope so!  Thanks too for including what you used on your resume.  Just reading other examples helps me translate my own experiences into resume language.  

Can you list it as "Private Tutor"?

You don't have to mention that it was your own kids whom you tutored.

Ah, interesting idea!  I just did a search of Private Tutor resumes to see how the term reflects the work experience.  I found the description below.  I'll have to explore that more.  Thanks!

Private Tutor

Worked one-on-one with high school students in subjects including English, reading, French, and math

• Integrated reading and writing to offer new perspective and respect for student's own life stories.
  • Monitored, assessed, and remediated student performance
  • Developed and implemented comprehensive lesson plans that accommodated specific level of learners while offering support to make certain each student was able to grasp materials
  • Identified, selected, and modified resources to meet student's diverse needs and integrated worksheets to vary lessons and consolidate concepts

I hire people in the education field, and I definitely value parenting and homeschooling experience. I generally expect to see that kind of information in a cover letter not the resume.

I would be very put off by an applicant who put "tutor" on a resume and then when it came up said that it was really homeschooling. It would make me wonder what else was "fudged". I've also tutored and home schooled and they are different things with different skill sets.

• Like 3

I did not. I had not worked for 8 years before going back part time.  One employer knew me already, so it was moot.  One did not.  At my current job, I googled the heck out of  my interviewer beforehand, found he loved homeschoolers, and during my interview, offered that my kids were homeschooled.  :D

• Like 1

Could you do a functional resume? Where you list accomplishments without tying them to specific jobs, and then just put a chronological list of positions with"home educator" below?

So,

Evaluated and selected curricula for (list subjects)

Organized -- event

Etc . . .

I wouldn't for my particular profession but in the role you are applying for, I'd absolutely include it, because it is relevant. I love the wording of PP "home educator" and including the more organizational bits of the job.

We also hosted a very young exchange student and the coordinator part of the program was excellent...

• Like 3