Menu

Costa Rica vacation advice

Staceyshoe

We are planning a family vacation to Costa Rica in late May/early June (during the rainy season).  Our trip will be short--only spending 4 days there.  Which area would you recommend?  I think we need something that is easily accessible (not muddy roads) no more than a few hours from the airport at most.  Please share your BTDT advice for which region would be good, your favorite activities there, and absolutely any other words of advice you have for us.  This will be our first international trip with the kids (ages 8 and 11).  TIA!

• Like 2

We just found out this morning that a friend of ours drowned in Costa Rica this past week while on vacation with her husband and 3 young boys.  She was in her early 40s, good health.  After hearing that news and doing some google searches I learned that drownings due to riptides is somewhat common there on some of the beaches.  Most people that go are fine, but be aware of possible riptides and swimming at beaches.  I think there are often signs posted at the beaches that have riptides, but often there is no lifeguard. 

Not to say you shouldn't go....but be aware!

• Like 2

I would recommend going north toward the beaches.

We went around 10yrs ago... It's complicated but I went with my MIL and SIL south... .and my dh and 2 kids went 6 weeks later to pick up my MIL and went to the beaches.  That part is more touristy and since you only have 4 days you'll want have more stuff available.

They went horseback riding near the volcano.  Hiking around the volcano.  Zipline near there too.  As well as doing the beach stuff. 

I thought the rainy season was in Jan-March?

• Like 2

I would recommend going north toward the beaches.

We went around 10yrs ago... It's complicated but I went with my MIL and SIL south... .and my dh and 2 kids went 6 weeks later to pick up my MIL and went to the beaches.  That part is more touristy and since you only have 4 days you'll want have more stuff available.

They went horseback riding near the volcano.  Hiking around the volcano.  Zipline near there too.  As well as doing the beach stuff. 

I thought the rainy season was in Jan-March?

Was the volcano in the Arenal area?  Someone else mentioned that I should look at that area.

I just looked up the rainy season.  Apparently, the timing varies depending on the region.  (http://www.govisitcostarica.com/travelInfo/climate.asp)  For most of the country, it is May-Nov, but Arenal is Dec-April.  I didn't realize that it varied depending on the location, so that is good to know!

• Like 2

Was the volcano in the Arenal area?  Someone else mentioned that I should look at that area.

I just looked up the rainy season.  Apparently, the timing varies depending on the region.  (http://www.govisitcostarica.com/travelInfo/climate.asp)  For most of the country, it is May-Nov, but Arenal is Dec-April.  I didn't realize that it varied depending on the location, so that is good to know!

just asked dh and he said it was Arenal. 

• Like 2

We drove around a bunch while we were there, but I think I'd say we liked Arenal the best. Hot springs, good hikes, we got to see some great erupting... We spent a few days on the beach too, and that was cool, and we went to Monteverde, which was really fun.

In general, it's an easy place to visit. Roads weren't terrible, driving and traffic were fine, though getting to Monteverde there were some interesting spots. Arenal was a much easier drive.

People in Costa Rica adore kids. We went when our kids were tiny and no one was ever like, why have you brought toddlers on vacation. Everyone was like, oh, let us take your kids over here to play while you enjoy your dinner. :) I know you said your kids are older, but it's just a very family friendly place.

Go for longer than just 4 days if you can. That's not very long!

• Like 3

We are going there at the same time!! (May 22-Jun1)!! We'll have 10 nights, so we're going multiple places. I think the Arenal area would be where we'd choose if we only had 4 days, because it's a lot closer than the beaches. You'd lose most of a day on each end going to the beach. So, if you're not dead set on beaches, go to Arenal. Hot springs, zip lines, volcanos, etc. 

We're still nailing down our itinerary, but I think we're spending 4 days in Arenal and 6 on the beaches (Santa Teresa area, on the Nicoya Peninsula, for surfing, etc.).

BTW, if you are renting a car, be careful. I did a lot of research, and I found that wildrider is *the* reliable/honest company. I've booked our vehicle with them already (first thing we booked after our flights), and they've been great to work with. 

• Like 3

So helpful!  Thank you!

Go for longer than just 4 days if you can. That's not very long!

I know!  :(  It's the choice between definitely going this year for 4 days or possibly going next year (and possibly not).  I want to grab the opportunity while it's available.  I *really* do wish we had longer though!

• Like 1

We just found out this morning that a friend of ours drowned in Costa Rica this past week while on vacation with her husband and 3 young boys.  She was in her early 40s, good health.  After hearing that news and doing some google searches I learned that drownings due to riptides is somewhat common there on some of the beaches.  Most people that go are fine, but be aware of possible riptides and swimming at beaches.  I think there are often signs posted at the beaches that have riptides, but often there is no lifeguard. 

Not to say you shouldn't go....but be aware!

This is really strange, but I think I know of your friend...my mother knows her mother, and I can't imagine that there could have been two such stories in the past week. I'm very sorry for your loss!

• Like 2

This is really strange, but I think I know of your friend...my mother knows her mother, and I can't imagine that there could have been two such stories in the past week. I'm very sorry for your loss!

It's so sad.  We don't know many details because we are currently living on the opposite side of the world, but we stayed with this family for a few days last year when we were visiting the Chicago area.  They are such a great family!  It's hard to imagine how much their lives have changed!

And sorry to be a downer to the original poster.  This was just so unexpected so when I saw the post I couldn't help but say something of a warning. 

Edited by Amazed
  • Like 1

It's been many years, but we took a day cruise to Tortuga Island. Our group left San Jose at 6 a.m. on a bus, and when we got to the coast, got on a boat which took us to an island (took about 1 1/2 hr.). There was a Caribbean-style band playing on the boat. We only spent about 4 hours at the island, which I thought would be too short, but was perfect. We swam, snorkeled, ate a very nice lunch on fancy tables under the coconut palms near the beach (while we were all in beachwear). Then we loaded back on the boat. There were plenty of snacks and juices offered throughout the day and on the various legs of the trip. It rained all the way back when we were on the boat, which was very pleasant because everybody was worn out. It was one of my favorite memories. 

Other beach info for the western coast: Jaco Beach was interesting--blackish sand, lots of hammocks hung between palms with iguanas running around everywhere, but two in our party got caught in the currents and could have drowned. Punta Leona is absolutely beautiful. It was like a little private inlet--down the beach and over a dune from our lodging. Water so clear you could see the bottom.

You might want to take Dramamine or some other motion-sickness medication for the tight mountain curves almost all the driving takes you on--on the above-mentioned bus trip, several lost their breakfast on the trip to the coast.

• Like 2

I wonder how many people do this. We never have.

The people who know about it and do it are in a better position, if something goes awry when they are overseas, or, back home.    Those who do not register with the ACS of the country they are visiting are absolutely and completely unknown to the ACS.  Things happen, from time to time. They can be obvious very major events, such as in Paris or Brussels, or they can be an individual involved in an accident, a medical emergency or a crime.   It doesn't cost anything to register with an ACS.  

• Like 2

OP    4 days is too short.  If you are in the states, by air you are incredibly close to Costa Rica.  We are in Colombia and it is only about 3 1/2 hours from Bogota into Orlando. From Costa Rica it would be a shorter flight.  The day you arrive, and the day you leave, are pretty well lost, with regard to any sightseeing or other activities you might do.  Try for at least 7 nights!  That will give you 6 full days to explore.  

ETA: Rainy seasons are not always predictable.  One can expect it to be very dry and weather patterns change and it is very wet. At this time, there is strong activity from "El Niño"  which may also be affecting the weather in Costa Rica,, as it is in California.   

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

We live in Costa Rica for part of the year, yearly.  It is a lovely country.

As others have said, the La Fortuna area is really fun and lovely.  You can stay inexpensively and see the Arenal volcano from your hotel.  Nearby is a rainforest with swinging bridges that we really enjoyed.

If you want to go to the beach, I'd recommend the Pacific side.  If the traffic is moving freely, you can get there in 1.5 hours.  This resort is fabulous.  If you go there, I'd recommend that you rent a golf cart to get around.  The beaches are really gorgeous.

http://hotelpuntaleona.com

A smaller resort nearby that is also really nice is this one:

http://www.reservations.com/hotel/hotel-club-del-mar?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2_23BRDb_qbvzK3X8M8BEiQAg87AF2t5bS9WN-jpuOQR_NsWSlDoigGisefo3tCfYh7Us5oaAvgW8P8HAQ

Or, you can drive further south once you get to the beach, about an hour further, and go to the Manuel Antonio area.  The motel I'd recommend there is this one:

http://verdemar.com/?lang=en_us

It is nothing fancy at all, with no extra services (unlike the other two).  But it is cheap and is clean and right on the beach, as few others are in Manuel Antonio.  

The other two are resorts out of town, but Manuel Antonio is right in a busy little tourist area, but very fun.  It's also on the edge of a rainforest and big national park.  So, it has a different feel.  We've stayed at this motel several times and there have always been monkeys climbing around the motel grounds early mornings.

We enjoy staying right in San Jose too.  The Gran Hotel is my favorite, but I see it's closed for three months.  Another great hotel that's in a town nearby is this one:

http://www.hb.co.cr/en/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2_23BRDb_qbvzK3X8M8BEiQAg87AF2img_E2j0A6ypm6zPmVnfzMJLfX_Bk1IWFa59JC0toaAr6_8P8HAQ

Absolutely gorgeous!

There are some great museums in San City.  My favorites are the Museo Nacional de Costa Rica and the Museo de Arte Costarricense at La Sabana Park (mostly because it's in the original old airport of San Jose which is beautiful).  

You could drive or take a tour bus to a rain forest about an hour from San Jose.  (I forget the name, but it would be easy to find out once you're there.)  Once there, you can go on a rainforest canvas tour (up in a sky-ride type gondola), which then ends in a short hike through the forest.  If you get the whole package, a nice shuttle bus picks you up and a great Costa Rican typical meal is included at the site.

To sum it up, if you are JUST in it for the rich offerings the geography there offers, I'd skip San Jose and either choose a Pacific beach vacation or maybe a few days in the La Fortuna area.  Personally, I'd want to immerse myself in some of the culture too.  So, I' probably spend a night or two in San Jose area (or at the Hotel Bougainvillea above), with one day exploring San Jose.  Then I'd get on the road, maybe spend half a day at the rainforest tram ride/hike/lunch, and then continue on to the Pacific Coast for a couple days.  I guess that's packing a lot in though!  So much to see there. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about the woman who drowned.  There is a rip tide there certain times of the day, and you can feel it as it's getting stronger.  You can usually see the line where it begins when you're out in the water.  I made all of my family watch a youtube video on what to do if you find yourself caught in a riptide.  It gives some very good pointers.  I think as long as you're careful and watchful, you should be safe.

The rainy season is generally from May to about November, but we've been there several times in May/June and if it rains, it's usually a quick downpour and then it's gone.  Later in the year, it can be more of an all-day rain.

Have fun planning!  You will love it!  Don't forget to drink lots of coffee while you're there.   :)

• Like 4

FWIW, we have booked this hotel for our 4 nights in the Arenal area. (We got 2 rooms, as we have 3 teens). To me, it seemed like the best choice. (We'll be there May 22-May 26, just in case you overlap and see us! Wouldn't that be funny!!)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309226-d626270-Reviews-Hotel_El_Silencio_del_Campo-La_Fortuna_de_San_Carlos_Arenal_Volcano_National_Park_Provi.html

It has nice hot springs right on site, which is a big plus in my book. :) Supposed to be fairly convenient to the various attractions in the region. 

If I were in your shoes, this is probably where I'd go, as it should be manageable to drive to/from the airport on your travel days, not needing to stay anywhere else (as long as you make sure to arrive not too late and leave not too early, to avoid driving a lot in the dark.)

• Like 1