Menu

Help me spend $2700 on curriculum

My daughters going into 9th this Fall, and the charter school she's with will give her $2700 to spend on curriculum and supplies.

In the past we've used the money for classes, but this year we are moving to the very outskirts of the counties they support and there's very limited selection of classes they'll pay for in the area and I'm not into driving far away so that means we get to spend the money on either curriculum or consumable items like Art supplies, science kits, etc.

So help me spend please.

They have a huge resource center already, where I can find almost any curriculum we'd like including books, microscopes, full science kits, maps, etc! So I'd rather use the money on things that I can't get there and that are also consumable.

Next years plan:

Classical Conversations (they won't pay for)

Science- apologia w CC (also won't pay for)

Teaching Textbooks (have it in the Resource center for free already)

History (SCM, they won't pay for)

Grammar- Queen (won't pay for)

Artistic pursuits (free from Resource Center)

Latin

Lots of literature (can get them in RC and library)

So please help me spend this money $$!

We aren't interested in online classes, and they won't pay for field trips or passes anywhere. I'm not sure about iPads, but we have enough of those too. We have a ton of books already...

I'm thinking REALLY great art supplies, (which ones?) and then I'm pretty stuck there.

Ideas please? 😊How should I spend this money? Thanks!

Edited by NatureMomma

A really good microscope will be helpful throughout college.  So will a Bunsen burner and laboratory glassware, and chemicals.  Dissection kits can be pricey.

Foreign language curricula with CDs and/or DVDs--expensive and totally worth it.  Maybe they will pay for an online course?

Bravewriter 'Help For High School'

I know someone who got a sewing machine for her son with instructional funds.  I think he was in LARP.

How about a musical instrument, and lessons from a teacher who will come to you? 

• Like 2

For art, high quality paper is important too. Good pencils and water colours would be my choices. Dd takes art classes with a great instructor who teaches community classes. She normally helps us order dd's supplies. If you go the art route it is easier with classes.

Dd also belongs to a quilt group with me but does some outside day courses. Maybe something like this would be good. Machine, fabric, and some classes....

Have you looked at the Timberdoodle catalogue? They normally have some great ideas.

Will they pay for dvds relating to your studies?  We love the Horrible Histories set.  I'm also planning on getting a bunch of Shakespeare movies for next year's literature.

My dd loves her Prismacolor markers set and her Prismacolor Portrait Markers set.  Lots of sketchbooks.

Sculpey clay?

Sports lessons or team fees?

Does she play an instrument? You could buy a couple and still have funds to spare. 

Sports equipment? My DD tumbles, so a big trampoline would be on our wish list. Others might want a basketball hoop, swimming pool or a dance floor.

Science lab equipment?

What is she really interested in? For something like sewing, you can get a sewing machine and fabric. A pottery wheel and clay, a nice video camera (or two - one usually needs 3 for movie making) and video editing software, sound editing software, etc.

• Like 1