Menu

signapore math? saxon? developmental?

Lori

can someone who uses Signapore math - and has used it for a while tell me what you use to supplement? I think it is an excellent curriculum but I have heard others say that you need to supplement with something that has more drill of the basic math facts? We used Abeka k-3 and I switched my daughter to saxon this yr for 4th but is really easy for her so I am thinking of switching to signapore math but would like to use it along side another math program

We used both Saxon and Singapore, a lesson in each every day, in the order in which they appeared in each book. I'd often have the kids do either the odds or the evens in the Saxon, but they did both programs. I felt this was a much better approach than trying to supplement. It was not an overwhelming amount of work and they got an excellent math education. My kids were on grade level in the Singapore, and a year ahead in the Saxon, so in 4th grade, for example, they would be in Sing. 4 and Saxon 6/5.

Ria

Any traditional Western math program would work well as a supplement for Singapore. If your children are doing well with the Singapore, and you just want to have them to have a more drill/practice, then I'd suggest going with something fairly inexpensive:

- Horizon

- Modern Curriculum Press (by grade level; K-6th)

- The Complete Book of Math (by grade levels; 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th; 5th-6th)

- Evan Moore Daily Math Practice series, or Evan Moore Skill Sharpeners series (by grade level; K-6th)

- Carson-Dellarosa series of math practice workbooks (by topic; by grade level)

We used Saxon as supplement to Singapore for our older math-minded son (parts of 54, 65, 76, and Algebra 1/2). While it was good to expose him to a different viewpoint, it seemed to me that the higher the Saxon level, the more it was based on memorizing formulas and the wording of the story problem to know which formula to plug in, rather than the real mathematical thinking developed in Singapore.

Just my 2 cents worth! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I have used Singapore for about two years now, and I supplement differently with each child.

For my "math geek" ds, we use the SM Challenging Word Problems, Intensive Practice, and also Quarter Mile Math (computer drill) and/or Flashmaster. But ds pretty much learned facts on his own -- weak point is word problems.

For non-math dd, I supplement with manipulatives & games from the SM TG, from Learning Resources, and miscellaneous other books/sites. We plan to use Calculadders because, even though it is timed, it is not a computer timing you -- so there is less pressure. Plus the repetition (same problems, same order) will be good. We also use SM Extra Practice.

We also have a lot of the math facts cd's and find them pretty boring. I know some people love them, but for us it was a waste of $$.

We have enjoyed various little dice games from RR and also a great game from Target called 4-Way Countdown.

From K-3 we supplement Singapore with Miquon. This year for 4th, we're just supplementing with the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems book. We also still do flash cards, wrap ups, or homemade drill sheets to finish up memorizing our multiplication facts. Really by level 4, most kids should have their math facts either memorized or close to being memorized so I don't think as much supplementing is really needed. HTH

I supplement a bit differently than a lot of others here, probably because I'm new to the boards, but we're in our 7th year of Singapore. I didn't know anyone else who used the supplemental Singapore books, and especially in the younger grades I felt like "more of the same" would put them over the edge, so I use a variety of different things.

I supplement with Math Detective, a series from Mindware called Math Mosaics (drill sheets, then afterwards you have to fill in a grid to make a picture), Times Tales and Cranium Crackers. I'm going to add Challenge Math this year (we're in 5A).

All the rave reviews of CWP here have made me consider trying it, but it's late in the game, and I'm still thinking that it's nice to have something that comes at it from a different angle and may give some different approaches. The other supplements have also covered some things that we haven't gotten to yet in Singapore (or that PM doesn't get too at all, but US programs do), so filling in some "gaps".

We probably should have supplemented with more drill - they understand concepts well, but they still don't have their facts cold. My plan was to do a lot of drill through games rather than drill sheets, and I do have many games, but they always seemed to be what we didn't get to...

After finishing 1A, I realized my ds didn't have the facts in any way shape or form. So we're supplementing with Rod and Staff. I went back to R&S1 and we're skipping through it (at the moment). I plan to finish R&S 1 and 2 this year and pick up Singapore again in the summer. Or I might do some of Singapore 1B inbetween the R&S levels. I'm really, really, really glad I backed up and picked up the R&S.

My two older girls did Singapore 3A-6B. They both did Miquon first.

My oldest did 1-2 books each in Key to Fractions, Key to Decimals, and Key to Percents.

My middle did several of the Challenging Word Problems books.

My youngest couldn't deal with Miquon, so she did Singapore from 1A. I supplement with Evan-Moor's Daily Math Practice. She needs a more systematic review than Singapore has.

The fact practice that we've done has been mostly with games.