Menu

Help (resume and cover letter)

DawnM

If you are very familiar with cover letters and resumes, help me out here.  I haven't done this in a LONG time, well over 10 years.  The last time I really did interviewing was 27 or so years ago when I was hired for my first job, worked in the district for 17 years, and then quit 10 years ago to move across the country.  Within the district to which I was hired, I did move schools, but that was because I was well networked and when a VP became a P, she/he would sometimes as if I wanted to come along to the new school.  Sometimes I did.

Anyway, I have a huge (and very strange) interview with 9 principals this coming Saturday.  It is with a Federal Grant program which encompasses 9 schools in the area.  It is called "speed interviewing."  This is phase 4 in the process.  I guess I passed the first 3 phases (3 essays, a video interview that was beyond odd......no way to pause or re-do and fully timed in 3-5 min. increments and 7 questions to answer, and another phase of my philosophy of education type thing.)

I was told to bring in paper copies of my resume.  I had a professional write up my resume for me, so I am good there.  She also wrote up a nice cover letter for me.  They didn't say anything about cover letters, but I assume it would be good to take that in as well?????

My problem is that I hate cover letters.  They sound like huge brag fests and I am very uncomfortable with them, but I am told my written ones (that I write myself) are too toned down and don't highlight my best features/work.

So, do I take the cover letters anyway?  Do they just expect you to brag?  Do I spend some time toning it down this evening?  

My plan was to take in the covers (all ind. labeled for each specific school) and resumes, and hand them out.  Then, the following day, email each principal and thank them for their time, tell them it was nice to meet them, etc...and attach the cover and resume again in email form.  

Is that overkill?

ARGH!  I feel so out of touch with the ways of hiring in 2016.

Thanks,

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

Its ok.  I am going to go ahead and print out individual cover letters (letter is the same but address and "to" is different, and print out 9 copies of my resume and just be prepared.

It is all very different for me, but I will keep some semblance of "1999" in my process!  :laugh:

Good luck, Dawn! I think you've got this!! :hurray: I don't mean to jump the starting gun, but I feel to congratulate you since you've made it this far! :party:

Thanks.  I feel confident I will get something.  I just have to decide if I will take just anything or try for the job I really want.  I may not have a choice, but the game of knowing when I have exhausted looking without turning down decent offers is tough.

Agreeing with those who say to skip the cover letter.

But yes, cover letters have turned into a brag fest.  I had one that mortified me to the point where I wouldn't even show my dh, but it got me an interview, and I was hired.  I'm SOOOOOOO amazing and wonderful, you know!  Gag.

Definitely do the email follow ups, thanking them for the interview.  Be sure to tell them how excited you are, reminding them how you fit the qualifications, etc.  (I'd google for content and various wording that you are comfortable with.)

• Like 1

No. The purpose of a cover letter is to introduce yourself and invite further consideration via the resume. You're well past that point now, so you can skip the cover letter. Do bring enough copies of your resume for everyone there. Good luck!

I disagree. Dh has been successful through multiple job searches. A cover letter is indispensable. His headhunter would say so (and did say so) as well. His most recent job search was 2 1/2 years ago.

Format should be:

Paragraph 1--Why I am writing

Paragraph 2--Say why I am interested in this job with this company, and highlight two features about myself that make me uniquely a good fit for the position.

End with: Feel free to contact me for further information. 

• Like 2

FYI, a printed paper thank you note can go a long way as well. DH and I always have sent one, him most recently a month ago, and it is always commented on and noticed. He actually writes them up ahead of time, has them addressed and ready to go, and mails them on his way out of the interview. That way they usually get there the next day, or two days at the most. 

• Like 3