Menu

Anyone have a child start taking the SAT or PSAT very Early?

I found out last spring that there is no age requirement for these test so I had DD 12 take the SAT this past June.

I told her it was just to see what it's like. She's good at test taking and didn't mind.

She did well enough to qualify for John's Hopkins CTY Center for talented Youth (at least in the reading and writing portions). I told her she could skip the math sections as we still have work to do in math.

So now she's in 8th grade and I just registered her for the PSAT next month.

When she took the SAT last year she was a little nervous but this time when I asked about the PSAT she said 'COOL'

I think she met a girl at the test that was her age and also a little book worm (They put all the 7th and 8th graders together).

We did a mini practice test from a web site but haven't done any real test prep.

I wanted to know if anyone else had their kids start on these test early?

How many points do kids usually increase from year to year?

Edited by lwilliams1922
typo

i read (I think on the SAT site) that they dont save the scores of the younger testers past the end of the year.

They've always (or maybe just for a long time) had a policy of not saving scores of students younger than something, maybe 12 or 13, but there's a new policy that you don't have to report all your scores anyway, so it shouldn't hurt your record at all. Not to mention that I don't think there's a college in the country that would turn up their noses at any scores earned before high school age! LOL

I took the SAT young... 12 the first time and 13 the second, and I think I took it at least one more time on the SAT and then once on the PSAT before "for real" but I don't seem to have the record anywhere. I made a huge jump between the first and second tries, which I think was more about learning how the test works. I don't know if there's a predictable increase year to year though.

DS has taken the Explore the past two years -- that's like the ACT for 8th graders -- and I think we'll switch to the regular ACT soon. I said we'd switch when he hit 20 on any one subtest, and he was really close last year... If he does it this year we might sign him up outside the talent search (he's still too young to go through Duke TIP for that) for a spring test date... but we'll probably stick with the ACT for now because he knows the format. Also NC requires an annual achievement test, and the SAT doesn't qualify. So he'll pretty much be taking the Explore or ACT every year for the rest of his homeschooling career, unless we move!!

We did early testing with SAT thru UD Talent Search at age 10. It built confidence and also allowed ds to earn some nice Honors from the group. Not something that hurts! Personally, I'M the one burnt out with standardized testing at this point not ds;). I think there is some value in this early testing but caution is necessary too. Also wouldn't suggest taking the PSAT more than twice since it is an easier test than the SAT and really only counts Junior Year anyway. My opinion is that ACT and SAT testing can be done annually as you would the ITBS or Stanford etc.

Scores for younger students ARE wiped out as another poster has said. If you want a score retained you have to take steps to do so. Same goes for AP tests taken more than four years before graduation.

It is fun to see how well these younger students do on these tests!

MAry

If you want your dd to do it, and your dd enjoys the process, I don't see a problem.

The test-taking takes time and money, possibly time and money that could be put to other uses. What else could your dd be doing on a Saturday besides taking a test -- I bet you could come up with quite a long list!

You can do really well on those tests without much prior experience. Abundant test-taking is not a pre-req to great scores!

We have always used the CAT. DD consistently scores great in reading/language arts and lower in math. I had her take the ACT as an 8th grader. These scores were REVERSED! Weird.

It only took a few hours of her time. She didn't complain. We will continue to do it each year. I doubt that we'll really begin to study for it specifically until 10th grade.

We have always used the CAT. DD consistently scores great in reading/language arts and lower in math. I had her take the ACT as an 8th grader. These scores were REVERSED! Weird.

Very interesting.

We've had a HUGE gap between verbal and math in ALL the tests she's ever taken. apx 4-5 yrs above grade level compared to 1 yr below in math.

We just started math u see so I hope we can learn all the math that she just didn't get while she was in school.

Not *my* child (hehe) but as a homeschooled child myself, I took the SAT at 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15. I'd say my composite score went up about 100-150 points each time, simply from greater maturity and familiarity with both the types of questions and standardized testing in general.

My oldest DS took the SAT through Johns Hopkins CTY in both the 7th and 8th grade. He enjoyed the experience and as he approaches the SAT for real this spring he has already said that he feels quite comfortable with the thought of taking it since he knows how he did in 8th grade. He took the PSAT last fall as a practice run for the real one in October. Again, his score from last year has motivated him a bit to do a little prep work in those areas where he missed a couple.

DS never participated in the CTY activities although he did qualify in math and English.

Carole

My understanding has been that you can now take the SAT as many times as you like, whenever ever you like, and only send those scores you choose. (& You don't have to be invited to take the SAT, even though Duke and J Hopkinds etc do a jr high talent search for their enrichment programs).

The PSAT is different, however, in that you should only take it once, when you feel 'ready', as only the first score can count for Merit Scholarhsips and awards.

So, yes, take the SAT at 8, at 12 at 13, at 17 or whenever, but only take the PSAT once if you want to be considered in the Merit awarding.

eeeesh!

do you have a link regarding this?

I thought i heard some schools make it madatory for 10th graders to practice before taking it for real in 11th grade??

I wanted her to take the psat for practice but NOT if she cant do it for real/awards in 11th grade.

thanks!

Edited by lwilliams1922
added

The PSAT may be taken as many times as you/the student want. Both of my daughters will have taken it 3 times (9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade) by the time they are done. Only the PSAT taken in the student's junior year (or next-to-last year of high school if you are graduating them early) will determine whether they have scored high enough for the National Merit Scholarship competition.

My older dd achieved National Merit Finalist status in her 11th grade PSAT sitting so having taken it for several years before that did not impact whether she was eligible in her junior year.

Edited by Jan in MO

The PSAT may be taken as many times as you/the student want. Both of my daughters will have taken it 3 times (9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade) by the time they are done. Only the PSAT taken in the student's junior year (or next-to-last year of high school if you are graduating them early) will determine whether they have scored high enough for the National Merit Scholarship competition.

My older dd achieved National Merit Finalist status in her 11th grade PSAT sitting so having taken it for several years before that did not impact whether she was eligible in her junior year.

thanks!

just for my own goal setting, can you tell me apx how many points they increased from year to year?

I'm wondering if it's realistic to shoot for 100 point inc each year at least in the reading and writing for dd.

Math is another story at the moment. I'd like to get high enough in those 2 to compensate for her math side.

PSAT scores are 1/10 the scores that you will see on the SAT. PSAT scores will range between 60 and 240. SAT ranges are from 600 to 2400.

That said, my older dd's scores were 200, 208 and 230 (9th, 10th and 11th grade).

Since your dc is learning each year there will be a natural tendency to see an increase in the scores. Familiarity with the exam format and timing also provided a comfort level that may have helped her to improve.

HTH,

Jan

My oldest is in the 8th grade. I am interested in the Explore Test, but could not find out how you sign up for this. Does anyone here have any info?

Your best bet would probably be to call around to local private schools and ask if they offer it (and if they would allow you to join them). I use a talent search for the Explore, but that is for letting younger kids take it -- usually 3rd or 4th through 6th graders. The actual 8th grade administration of the test seems to be primarily by private schools using it for placement.

Hope this helps!