Menu

Apples, canning them or favorite things to do besides applesauce....

Sorry for all of the threads, I currently have about four bushels of apples that we were given. I'm doing sauce & dehydrating some, but looking for other ideas, there's a chance I might end up getting more!

What are your favorite things to do. I really don't have a lot of freezer room, actually I have none right now.

Thanks!

Phlox

I've also been getting a lot of free apples. I've dried them, made applesauce, and made cider. My old juicer is about to die, but I'm hoping to make it through the rest of this season. If you're going to be getting a lot of free apples in the future, I'd recommend getting some kind of juicer. Of course, the best way to use apples is to make pie filling and freeze the unbaked pies. Unfortunately, our freezer space is too limited this year.

Sorry for all of the threads, I currently have about four bushels of apples that we were given. I'm doing sauce & dehydrating some, but looking for other ideas, there's a chance I might end up getting more!

What are your favorite things to do. I really don't have a lot of freezer room, actually I have none right now.

Thanks!

Phlox

We went apple picking and my mom found out you can peel, core and slice the apples and let them sit in a solution for 1 minute, then put them in freezer bags to freeze. I am going to try that. The solution is 1 gallon of water and stir in 2 Tbsp. salt. Make sure the salt is dissolved.

I know you don't have freezer space so that won't work for you.

I made my Nanna's Apple crisp and we love that. You could add a little bit of vanilla ice cream or cool whip to top it off. I just eat it plain and love it. I will get you the recipe in a few minutes.

Guest Virginia Dawn

What about apple butter?

Then there is fried sausage and apples, grilled apple and cheese sandwiches, chopped apples in chicken salad, broccoli salad, apple cake, sliced apples with peanut butter, caramel apples, apple jelly.

Apple cinnamon oatmeal, apple cinnamon ice cream, apple cinnamon yogurt. I wish I had your apple problem. :001_smile:

Right now we are sick of green tomatoes.

I've also been getting a lot of free apples. I've dried them, made applesauce, and made cider. My old juicer is about to die, but I'm hoping to make it through the rest of this season. If you're going to be getting a lot of free apples in the future, I'd recommend getting some kind of juicer. Of course, the best way to use apples is to make pie filling and freeze the unbaked pies. Unfortunately, our freezer space is too limited this year.

So you can make cider in a juicer? I've never even used a juicer, so I have no idea what to even do. Maybe I'll check freecycle for one. Guess that will be another thread.

Thanks,

Phlox

Crockpot Baked Apples

2 tablespoons raisins

1/4 cup sugar

6 to 8 apples, washed and cored

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons butter

Mix raisins and sugar, fill center of apples.Sprinkle with cinnamon and dot with butter.Put in crockpot: add 1/2 cup water cover and cook on Low 7 to 9 hrs.

Thanks!

Phlox

Apple Crisp

4-5 large Apples (peeled, cored and sliced)

Layer the apples in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.

Take 1/2 cup of sugar and 1-2 Tbsp. cinnamon, mix and sprinkle over apples

Mix the following until crumbly

2 Cups Flour

2 Cups Sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs.

Spread over apples

melt one stick of butter and drizzle over all.

Cook at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Delicious!

We LOVE Apple Pie in a Jar! I haven't made it for awhile, but I think it's easier than applesauce and extremely versatile. You use it just like you would apple pie filling from the store.

Apple Pie in a Jar

7 qt. peeled, sliced cooking apples (I don't peel mine)

2 1/2 c. honey

1 C. cornstarch or arrowroot powder

2tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1tsp. salt

10c. water

3 Tbsp. lemon juice

Fill hot quart jars with sliced apples, leaving 1 inch head space. Make syrup by combining honey, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and water. Cook until thick. Add lemon juice. Pour syrup over apples in jars with 1/2 inch head space. Adjust lids. Process 20 minutes in water bath.

Yield: 7 quarts

Notes (from the person I got the recipe from):

It really does make 7 quarts. We used exactly 21 medium sized apples to fill 7 wide mouth jars. We also do some with smaller pieces of apple for topping for pancakes and ice cream.

We LOVE Apple Pie in a Jar! I haven't made it for awhile, but I think it's easier than applesauce and extremely versatile. You use it just like you would apple pie filling from the store.

Apple Pie in a Jar

7 qt. peeled, sliced cooking apples (I don't peel mine)

2 1/2 c. honey

1 C. cornstarch or arrowroot powder

2tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1tsp. salt

10c. water

3 Tbsp. lemon juice

Fill hot quart jars with sliced apples, leaving 1 inch head space. Make syrup by combining honey, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and water. Cook until thick. Add lemon juice. Pour syrup over apples in jars with 1/2 inch head space. Adjust lids. Process 20 minutes in water bath.

Yield: 7 quarts

Notes (from the person I got the recipe from):

It really does make 7 quarts. We used exactly 21 medium sized apples to fill 7 wide mouth jars. We also do some with smaller pieces of apple for topping for pancakes and ice cream.

Thank you, this sounds great!

Phlox

What about apple butter?

Apple cinnamon oatmeal, apple cinnamon ice cream, apple cinnamon yogurt. I wish I had your apple problem. :001_smile:

Right now we are sick of green tomatoes.

Can you share some recipes? I am particularly interested on your apple cinnamon ice cream, yogurt, and apple butter.

I also have a bunch of apples to use and honestly do not want to stock up that much apple sauce.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

And a friend just gave me a great recipe for apple muffins.

Here is the recipe for Apple muffins:

April's Apple Muffins

1 and 1/2 cups oil (I used olive oil and only did 1 and 1/4 cups)

2 cups sugar

3 eggs

3 cups flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

3 cups raw apples chopped up into small pieces

Cream oil and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Add vanilla and dry ingredients. Blend well and add apples.

For bread-makes 1 loaf (I have never made the bread but I think it would actually be 2 loaves...use your judgment) Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

For muffins-makes 2 dozen. Spray muffin tins. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour.

Most importantly, eat and enjoy!