Menu

Which Saxon Algebra?

My DD13 (going into 8th next year) is math phobic.  She's does fine in Math, but HATES it and gets anxiety quickly.  From K to 6th we used Horizons Math.  She did well with this, and I believe she really needs a spiral math program. I went ahead and purchased Horizons PA but knowing that Horizons stops at Algebra 1 and hearing that the Algebra text wasn't very good with instruction, I decided that this year would be the year to try to get her used to a different math program.  Therefore, I also purchased Tablet Class PA when it was on sale for $50.

That being said,   Bad idea!  Tablet Class was a total failure for DD. Thank goodness for the backup. I immediately went to the Horizons book and skipped the lessons she was comfortable with and started there.  At the same time, DD decided she wanted to try Khan Academy's PA challenge (I use some of the videos to help with instruction).  Nervous about that, but wanting DD to have a say in her math hoping it would help with her anxiety, I put Horizons away and let her try it. She actually finished it in 3 months!  Well, since she finished so quickly (and not without some rough patches) I got out Horizons again to finish the year.

Then, during the Christmas break, The Great Courses had some great sales.  I was intrigued with Mastering the Fundamentals of Math for DD's summer math to solidify concepts. With the sale going on, I was able to get it for the ridiculous price of $39!  DD was plodding through Horizons again, but wanted to try MFM. So, I started DD up with that and matched some of the Horizons lessons with the MFM lessons for extra practice. Essentially, she is doing one MFM video lesson one day and a corresponding Horizons lesson the next day. Then we move on to the next MFM lesson and so on. She is now almost finished with MFM and has done quite well. Over the summer, I will have her finish the Horizons Math book. 

All of this to say, I believe we will move on to Saxon Algebra 1 because it will be a better fit for DD (spiral) than AOPS.  There's just one problem, do I go with the 3rd edition or the new 4th edition for next year? I know the 3rd edition is integrated, and the new 4th edition is not.  Have any of you used the 4th edition?  What are the pros and cons of each?  Can any of you help me with this? (BTW: I don't want to go with Algebra 1/2 because I do think it will be too easy - she's not behind in math, she just gets anxiety.)

TIA

My DD13 (going into 8th next year) is math phobic.  She's does fine in Math, but HATES it and gets anxiety quickly.  From K to 6th we used Horizons Math.  She did well with this, and I believe she really needs a spiral math program. I went ahead and purchased Horizons PA but knowing that Horizons stops at Algebra 1 and hearing that the Algebra text wasn't very good with instruction, I decided that this year would be the year to try to get her used to a different math program.  Therefore, I also purchased Tablet Class PA when it was on sale for $50.

That being said,   Bad idea!  Tablet Class was a total failure for DD. Thank goodness for the backup. I immediately went to the Horizons book and skipped the lessons she was comfortable with and started there.  At the same time, DD decided she wanted to try Khan Academy's PA challenge (I use some of the videos to help with instruction).  Nervous about that, but wanting DD to have a say in her math hoping it would help with her anxiety, I put Horizons away and let her try it. She actually finished it in 3 months!  Well, since she finished so quickly (and not without some rough patches) I got out Horizons again to finish the year.

Then, during the Christmas break, The Great Courses had some great sales.  I was intrigued with Mastering the Fundamentals of Math for DD's summer math to solidify concepts. With the sale going on, I was able to get it for the ridiculous price of $39!  DD was plodding through Horizons again, but wanted to try MFM. So, I started DD up with that and matched some of the Horizons lessons with the MFM lessons for extra practice. Essentially, she is doing one MFM video lesson one day and a corresponding Horizons lesson the next day. Then we move on to the next MFM lesson and so on. She is now almost finished with MFM and has done quite well. Over the summer, I will have her finish the Horizons Math book. 

All of this to say, I believe we will move on to Saxon Algebra 1 because it will be a better fit for DD (spiral) than AOPS.  There's just one problem, do I go with the 3rd edition or the new 4th edition for next year? I know the 3rd edition is integrated, and the new 4th edition is not.  Have any of you used the 4th edition?  What are the pros and cons of each?  Can any of you help me with this? (BTW: I don't want to go with Algebra 1/2 because I do think it will be too easy - she's not behind in math, she just gets anxiety.)

TIA

Has your dd taken the Saxon placement test? You should *always* do the placement test.

We chose 3rd edition primarily because I liked that it integrated geometry rather than having it as a separate class.

I have heard mixed reviews of the 4th edition because it is a different author, and because of the separated geometry, it impacts other areas of the algebra set up.

I haven't used the new edition, but one thing to keep in mind if you use the 3rd edition (integrated geometry), your student will not complete the geometry credit until half-way through Advanced math.  So, you would be committed to Saxon until then, or you would have to take time to complete the geometry credit with something else before moving forward.  This is one reason I might not choose to use 3rd edition with my next algebra student. 

I haven't used the new edition, but one thing to keep in mind if you use the 3rd edition (integrated geometry), your student will not complete the geometry credit until half-way through Advanced math.  So, you would be committed to Saxon until then, or you would have to take time to complete the geometry credit with something else before moving forward.  This is one reason I might not choose to use 3rd edition with my next algebra student. 

Do you think it would be a bad idea to do a typical geometry text between Saxon algebra 1 and 2? I like the idea that the Saxon algebra 2 would keep the geometry fresh. I'd been thinking of doing this but give me a heads up if it's not a good idea.

I think MFW does recommend Jacob's Geometry between Saxon Al 1 and Al 2.  My oldest is the same age, and we are doing Saxon 1/2 this year.  I think I am going to try Jacob's Algebra first, but if it doesn't work out we will be doing Saxon with the Art Reed DVDs as my second choice -3rd edition.  If you do Al 1-8th, Geometry w/ Jacob's-9th, Algebra 2-10th, you still have 2 years to do whatever other math you need, and also time to re-do some math if needed.  My hope is to get my DD to a place where she can just do math at the local CC :) 

• Like 1

Do you think it would be a bad idea to do a typical geometry text between Saxon algebra 1 and 2? I like the idea that the Saxon algebra 2 would keep the geometry fresh. I'd been thinking of doing this but give me a heads up if it's not a good idea.

I don't have enough personal experience to know.  I can't think of a reason why it would be a bad idea.  You might want to look at the algebra 2 book and see how much review there is at the beginning, or consider keeping some algebra review going during the geometry year.  Also consider the age/grade of your student.  I have heard of some people taking longer than a year to complete Saxon's Advanced Math.  So, where Saxon's geometry integration might "save" a year of math, its Advanced Math course might take that year back again.  Kwim?  Disclaimer - this is all speculation on my part!   

I am by no means an expert, but I am planning to use Jacobs Geometry after Saxon Algebra 1 (which we start on Monday  :001_smile: )

Thanks all for your help.  After reading your replies and doing some more research, I've decided to go with CLE Algebra 1.  I will give her the pre-test beforehand (I've already downloaded it), but it looks like the first two units are just a basic rehash of what she's already done, so it should be a gentle introduction.

I really don't like the way Saxon breaks up the Geometry and don't want to have to go to yet another text in between.  Switching around really seems to upset the apple cart. I shouldn't have to do that with CLE.  Plus, she really needs a spiral program, and CLE is also spiral.

DD isn't terrible in math, she just really hates it and gets anxiety, therefore I want to make it as painless as possible, and yet still have her advance.