Menu

We're taking the plunge - now help me figure out what to do

So Squirrelboy did get into one magnet school that we liked a lot, but ultimately we decided that it would be better for him both academically and socially to homeschool for 6th grade, and for all of middle school if it goes well. Even though I've been flirting with the idea of homeschooling for years, DH was never on board, so looking at curriculum occasionally and reading this board was just kind of a hobby for me. Now suddenly I have to choose actual stuff. I have two local homeschooling friends who have older children who are willing to sit down with me and let me look at what they've used, but I know there are about a million choices out there.

I'll post separate threads about individual subjects, but if you have any general advice you can post here.

The Great Homeschool Convention will be in Cincinnati, which is just under two hours away, at the end of the month. I'm not even considering going to the whole thing because DH and Squirrelboy will be away at the regional competition for the FIRST Robotics high school team DH mentors and I'll have 5 year old Kittygirl with me. I'm sure people do it, but I'm not ready to sit through a bunch of sessions with a wiggly 5 year old in tow whom I won't even be homeschooling in the fall.

I am considering going for part of a day to peruse the vendor hall, however. There's lots of fun stuff in Cincy, so I can bribe Kittygirl with an outing either before or after the vendor hall visit. I'm wondering, though, am I more likely to be inspired or be overwhelmed?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

So Squirrelboy did get into one magnet school that we liked a lot, but ultimately we decided that it would be better for him both academically and socially to homeschool for 6th grade, and for all of middle school if it goes well. Even though I've been flirting with the idea of homeschooling for years, DH was never on board, so looking at curriculum occasionally and reading this board was just kind of a hobby for me. Now suddenly I have to choose actual stuff. I have two local homeschooling friends who have older children who are willing to sit down with me and let me look at what they've used, but I know there are about a million choices out there.

I'll post separate threads about individual subjects, but if you have any general advice you can post here.

The Great Homeschool Convention will be in Cincinnati, which is just under two hours away, at the end of the month. I'm not even considering going to the whole thing because DH and Squirrelboy will be away at the regional competition for the FIRST Robotics high school team DH mentors and I'll have 5 year old Kittygirl with me. I'm sure people do it, but I'm not ready to sit through a bunch of sessions with a wiggly 5 year old in tow whom I won't even be homeschooling in the fall.

I am considering going for part of a day to peruse the vendor hall, however. There's lots of fun stuff in Cincy, so I can bribe Kittygirl with an outing either before or after the vendor hall visit. I'm wondering, though, am I more likely to be inspired or be overwhelmed?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

I would go just to see things in person, but resist the temptation to buy (or at least to over-buy!).

The vendor hall will be immensely overwhelming. The first time I went, I almost couldn't get out of there fast enough and it made me want to cry that I absolutely did not know how to make all these big decisions, even though now I really love browsing and shopping.

It would probably be ok for a couple of hours if you know ahead of time which books/resources you want to get your hands on to look through and you go only to those booths.

Welcome to homeschooling in all its messy reality! :)

You'll could be either inspired or overwhelmed looking at all the choices - what's your personality? There are lots and lots of choices and everyone thinks their choice is best. I think it is nice to put your hands on some material and get an iidea for the choices out there. Also, if you've started to look at choices before the convention then you might actually put you hands on what you are considering buying.

The convention hall is also great for all those fun things to add to you main curriculum (or for Christmas presents).

It's a BIG convention hall so it takes a chunk of time to go through.

Other advice:

I've not been there, done that, but there are lots of threads about people you have taken kids out of school and the amount of time it takes to "deschool" or transition to a homeschool routine. The longer your son has been in school the longer it takes to transition (on average).

Give yourself permission to make mistakes and waste some money. Ideally, everything you pick will be a perfect fit for you and your family, but in reality it doesn't usually work that way. Don't feel like you MUST do a specific curriculum just because you bought it. If it isn't working, it might be worth it to ditch it and buy something new.

Editted to add: Don't use the exhibit hall to make initial decisions - that would be completely overwhelming. Do your research first and then use it to narrow choices or to find extras if you go.

Edited by Julie of KY

Welcome to the craziness!  :willy_nilly:  :D  :biggrinjester:  :smilielol5:  :scared:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

I can't speak to a convention or to taking kids out of school because I haven't done either. But actually looking at and reading curriculum was SO helpful to me at the beginning. Looking at other people's schedules was very good too. 

I would start with the most important things, math and language (literature, writing and grammar. spelling if necessary for your student).

Then add in content areas beginning with what your Ds likes.

Put the big rocks in first!

It will take a while to figure out a routine. 

Do lots of research, be flexible and learn how to do it together. Have fun!

One thing that helped me, that hasn't been mentioned, was if you go spend time talking to the venders that supply various curriculum. Whether new (rainbow resource, and others) or resale booths. Since they aren't selling a particular brand and are familiar with MANY programs they can often recommend great programs that would work for you.

Also, to reiterate the above. Don't plan to buy at the conference. And if needed take only cash. Leave the check book and credit card at home.

Welcome to homeschooling.

Definitely do your research before entering the curriculum hall. Know what you are looking for and what you are not.

Don't buy while you are there. Just make lists and buy later after the convention frenzy wears off.

Yep.

We did this the spring before we started HSing, and it helped a great deal. It confirmed some choices and made me stay away from others that would not have worked. 

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I checked and the convention DOES have childcare, but I still think I'd rather just visit the curriculum hall. I've already found some on the list that I definitely want to see in person. I appreciate the advice to just look and not buy on impulse. I have to remind myself that I still have the rest of fifth grade and the summer to make a plan.