Menu

Anybody been to Krakow, Poland?

Penguin

I think we are going to Krakow for Easter weekend.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I am all ears. We will be driving.

Any idea if shops and restaurants will be open Good Friday and Holy Saturday?

Know anything about the Easter Markets in Poland? Would they be open on the days leading up to Easter?

We never stay in Denmark for Easter. It is so boring!!! EVERYTHING is closed Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

We went to Prague once for Easter and there was a lively Easter market and lots of festivities. I am hoping that Poland will be similar.

• Like 4

I've been to Krakow also long ago, and cannot help with your questions. It is a very Catholic place, with a big cathedral (the one with the Black Madonna, isn't it?), and I would guess that that would be the center of things on Easter.  And maybe with so many people from elsewhere heading there for the Cathedral, restaurants and so on would be open.  But I would expect it to be somber, not festive leading up to Easter. Can you contact some sort of visitor center or hotel there for more info?

• Like 1

I've been to Krakow also long ago, and cannot help with your questions. It is a very Catholic place, with a big cathedral (the one with the Black Madonna, isn't it?), and I would guess that that would be the center of things on Easter.  And maybe with so many people from elsewhere heading there for the Cathedral, restaurants and so on would be open.  But I would expect it to be somber, not festive leading up to Easter. Can you contact some sort of visitor center or hotel there for more info?

Just to clarify, the Black Madonna is in Czestochowa not Krakow.  Saint Mary's Basilica is the medieval church at Krakow's market square. Gorgeous altarpieces within.

• Like 4

We were in Warsaw last Easter and lots of places were closed. Some restaurants were open but most everything else was closed. We were in Kraków afterwards and everything was open. Only had one day there but it was amazing. We really only had time for the Wawel and then just enjoying the square. Gorgeous. You will not be disappointed even if everything is closed. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

• Like 1

I was in Poland once for Easter a LONG time ago - I recall there being one day of that long weekend where people threw water on one another. So beware! :)

Ha! I read about that. It is Easter Monday.

I just booked four nights in an apartment. So even if the restaurants are closed, we will be able to eat :)

I am hoping the Easter Market will be open Friday and Saturday. Auschwitz is open except for Easter Sunday, and we plan to go there for a day.

ETA: I am a lapsed Catholic, but very much looking forward to an Easter mass in Krakow.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 4

Ha! I read about that. It is Easter Monday.

I just booked four nights in an apartment. So even if the restaurants are closed, we will be able to eat :)

I am hoping the Easter Market will be open Friday and Saturday. Auschwitz is open except for Easter Sunday, and we plan to go there for a day.

ETA: I am a lapsed Catholic, but very much looking forward to an Easter mass in Krakow.

Auschwitz was ....there are no words. Definitely something that I wish everyone could see.

I'm jealous. I loved Poland and wish we could go back this year. A beautiful land filled with beautiful people.

• Like 5

Take a trip to the salt mine!

I was there 8 years ago, but not at Easter time so I wouldn't know anything about that

I ate the best jam tart of my life there. I bought it in the old town square, from the deli opposite the cathedral, at the end of the first counter on the left as you walk in.  :drool5:

• Like 2

Just to clarify, the Black Madonna is in Czestochowa not Krakow.  Saint Mary's Basilica is the medieval church at Krakow's market square. Gorgeous altarpieces within.

Oh right--went to both on same trip but am recalling the wrong place! My error! Disregard my comments!

• Like 2

Take a trip to the salt mine!

I was there 8 years ago, but not at Easter time so I wouldn't know anything about that

I ate the best jam tart of my life there. I bought it in the old town square, from the deli opposite the cathedral, at the end of the first counter on the left as you walk in. :drool5:

Salt mines look cool, and they are open Friday and Sat.

And I will try to find the jam tart :)

• Like 3

Salt mines look cool, and they are open Friday and Sat.

And I will try to find the jam tart :)

The salt mines really messed with my head. It was great.

:o  I sound like my father talking about cake. I think he views geography through a lens of the quality of cake he ate there. He could probably make a Cakes of the World youtube channel and make millions. 

• Like 4

Lucky you! I was in Krakow back in the old Soviet days so I am of no help, but I wanted to bump this and let you know that I am insanely jealous.

Happy and safe travels!

Me, too :) In fact, if you also went to the salt mines, Auschwitz, and CzÄ™stochowa, I wonder if we were on the same trip, haha ... Did you happen to visit the Jagiellonian University, too? :)

(My only regret was choosing a castle over the steel mills for the optional day (this was on a college field trip). Some years later Lech WaÅ‚Ä™sa was elected and I had missed my chance to see a "typical" workplace under communism.)

OP, you will have a wonderful trip! I am jealous.

We never stay in Denmark for Easter. It is so boring!!! EVERYTHING is closed Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

That's "funny" -- I was just telling people here how organized one must be around that weekend. You have to make sure you have everything you need for that weekend, especially for meals, by Thursday mid-afternoon; nothing except the tiny convenience store at the train station is open until Tuesday morning!  :willy_nilly:  Skipping town seems like a great idea!

• Like 2

Me, too :) In fact, if you also went to the salt mines, Auschwitz, and CzÄ™stochowa, I wonder if we were on the same trip, haha ... Did you happen to visit the Jagiellonian University, too? :)

(My only regret was choosing a castle over the steel mills for the optional day (this was on a college field trip). Some years later Lech WaÅ‚Ä™sa was elected and I had missed my chance to see a "typical" workplace under communism.)

OP, you will have a wonderful trip! I am jealous.

That's "funny" -- I was just telling people here how organized one must be around that weekend. You have to make sure you have everything you need for that weekend, especially for meals, by Thursday mid-afternoon; nothing except the tiny convenience store at the train station is open until Tuesday morning!  :willy_nilly:  Skipping town seems like a great idea!

Where is "here" ? Surely not California!

Edited by Penguin

I lived in Poland for a few years and my brother lived in Kraków for a year. Assume almost everything will be closed around Easter and you might be pleasantly surprised when it isn't. Kraków is gorgeous. In my opinion, Kraków is the most international and least Polish city in Poland. Definitely see the salt mines and Auschwitz and the castle.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

Enough of the sights are open to keep us busy. And since it is impossible for Poland to be "more closed" than our home city for Easter, it beats staying put no matter what  :lol: .

• Like 2

That's "funny" -- I was just telling people here how organized one must be around that weekend. You have to make sure you have everything you need for that weekend, especially for meals, by Thursday mid-afternoon; nothing except the tiny convenience store at the train station is open until Tuesday morning!   :willy_nilly:  Skipping town seems like a great idea!

Where is "here" ? Surely not California!

Oops, I was posting in haste ... I was telling people here (meaning California) about what it's like in Europe -- specifically, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, etc. where I lived for many years. You're right, people "here" (CA) have no idea :)   :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Best laid plans and all that...

DH became VERY sick on Sunday with some sort of virus. He is still too sick to travel, but seems to be trending better. I had to cancel the trip to Krakow yesterday. If I'd have waited any longer to call it, we would have had cancellation fees.

Tomorrow, our city will become a ghost town and stay that way until Tuesday. I think I will binge-read.

Edited by Penguin