Menu

Clothing brand suggestions for super tall, super thin 9 year old girl

Misha

My 9 year old is over 5 feet tall now. She's very thin, very leggy and no longer fits (height wise) into her size 14 pants. 

I figured height would be a thing, I'm 5'9, so pretty average, but Daddy is 6'5 and he's little for his family. 

Her favorite attire choices are more modest options like Bermuda shorts, capris, and t-shirts. For bathing suits, we prefer one piece suits with an attached skirt, or separate board shorts. 

I've found Old Navy clothing to be very poorly made as of late (does anyone else remember how terrific their stuff was in the early 2000's?), Crazy 8 no longer fits, Land's End has been striking her as boring lately, and we're not ready to shop in the junior's department (DD is very modest by choice,  and is not a fan of much of the offered apparel at most retailers for young girls). 

Suggestions, please and thank you! It's already been in the 80's here and I need to get some new spring and summer clothes pronto and don't want to go the Old Navy route again. 

I think GAP works well :). Nordstrom and Macy's both have a good selection of clothes with a narrower waists without shortened inseams that can be prevalent in some brands.

Edited by Arctic Mama

For capris and shorts, we like Aerie brand and also Champion. They seem better made than Old Navy. Target has some longer tees in their workout section than are very soft - I thought they were Champion brand too.

The last two swim suits we bought were longer swim shirts paired with running skorts - the kind with the built in liner. Though DD14 pointed out that this years tops all seem to come with matching board shorts, so she might go for one of those sets (cute).

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised to find Jordache jeans at Walmart fit my dd. She's 11yo and at about 5' tall currently wears 12slim--though they're starting to get a bit short. But I'm reluctant to get 14's because she already has to cinch the waist in on the 12slim. I'll also be looking into some of the other posted suggestions.

• Like 1

My 11 yr old is 5ft 4". She wears a lot of Gap because they're one of the few brands that do actually stock smaller sizes in the adult ranges here and plenty of plainish bright coloured t shirts etc. I have found it hard to get fun kids stuff that fits her it's all much too short and wide.

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 1

Junior sizes are the ones that will fit. Not everything in that size range is immodest or inappropriate. Junior sizes are designed for the tall slim stage common in young tween and teen girls. Looking at Kohl's online, it looks to me like there are a lot of nice choices in their juniors section.

• Like 2

American eagle has long and extra long jeans in 0 and 00. (I didn't used to know that was a size!). If you are picky at old navy you can sometimes find good things. I often sewed a strip of elastic across the back of dd's jeans. Both dd's are 5'11" and between 105 and 115 lbs. we are always on the hunt for skinny and long.