Menu

Bravewriter for HS credit?

Brave Writer will issue a transcript with grade for all of the high school classes. A 4-6 week class is listed as a 1/4 credit class by them.

Personally, I lump our lit class (1 credit), 2 Brave Writer classes (1/4 credit each) and some other English from home all into one English credit.

• Like 3

Brave Writer will issue a transcript with grade for all of the high school classes. A 4-6 week class is listed as a 1/4 credit class by them.

Personally, I lump our lit class (1 credit), 2 Brave Writer classes (1/4 credit each) and some other English from home all into one English credit.

Thank you! So you feel like her courses are kind of light?

He is signed up for the Center for Literature monthly book club with writing component, it's suppose to be a 2 credit course (one for the Lit, one for the Composition). 

I previewed the assignments and they seem pretty intensive, so I'm wondering if a couple of Bravewriter classes would round it out, or be overkill.  He would be going into Honors English if he stayed in public school, but he has what I think is a pretty heavy course load. 

No I do not feel that Brave Writer is light. I just feel like it's not unexpected for high school English courses to be a lot of work including both writing and literature.

I do think that the Center for Lit - literature only class is "light" for a full credit and I lump their credit with Brave Writer classes to round out my credit.

Some of the Brave Writer classes can be a significant chunk of work and well worth a 1/4 credit.

• Like 3

Tagging along, OP!

Julie, thank you for mentioning Bravewriter multiple times on this forum! I finally decided to try it; my son is presently taking Kidswrite Intermediate, and even though he is not very far along, I am quite pleased. I like the format (being able to see other students' writing) a lot! My son finds it motivating...especially since he sees that he has quite a bit in common with some of the other kids in the class.

So I plan to try a few more next year. Julie, have you posted anywhere a list of the exact Bravewriter classes you have used? I would love a little guidance of which ones to choose. I think Expository Essay is the next one he should take, but after that, I have no idea.

We will combine a few Bravewriter classes with our own literature (which includes writing). And my son still needs grammar review, so he has that in his English credit, too. So no, I don't plan to take 6 Bravewriter courses...maybe 2 or 3. 

• Like 1

Just listening and chiming in with our plan for 9th grade. My dd will also complete 3 -4 Brave Writer classes and do literature separately. I am trying to put together a book club for her some motivated friends. I think if she writes 4 'big' papers through BW and several response papers through literature and writes a lot for World History she will have enough. 

My son is currently in the Expository Essay Class, it's going well, I think. I'm trying to be mostly hands off, this is his first onlne class. We should've maybe started with the intermediate one, but he really needs essay help, so, that's what he's doing.

It's also a great short first experience with someone else's deadlines & feedback.

Next year, I think he'll take 2 more, plus literature stuff for a full credit.

So I plan to try a few more next year. Julie, have you posted anywhere a list of the exact Bravewriter classes you have used? I would love a little guidance of which ones to choose. I think Expository Essay is the next one he should take, but after that, I have no idea.

A few years ago, I gave myself permission to splurge on Brave Writer classes and not worry about the cost. Of course I don't recommend spending money you don't have, but it's been one of the best decisions I've made. I tend to homeschool cheaply and until I outsource AP classes, I haven't spend too much on the rest of my curriculum.

Classes we've done:

High school - 2 students have done both Kidswriter Int. and Expository Essay; One has done MLA Reseasrch Essay this year and the other will probably do it next year.

Family classes - (lots of fun for my family) Kidswriter Basic (the first class we did), Just So Poetry, Groovy Grammar, Playing with Poetry, Family Shakepeare

My daughter (fiction writer lover middle schooler) has done Writing your own Short Story and Writing your own Greek Myth.

We did one month of Boomerang club and will likely do a couple of months next year.

I've wanted to do some literary analysis, but it hasn't worked out this year. I've also wanted to do the high school poetry and high school Shakespeare, but the timing hasn't worked. I really wish I could put my oldest dysgraphic son in the Advanced Writing class next fall, but I think it'd kill him with an already heavy schedule.

In addition, my oldest has done private tutoring through Brave Writer for one personal essay. He could now do it on his own, but at that point in his life he still need a bunch of hand-holding.

We had one teacher, in one class, that gave great feedback, but I was unhappy at the speed at which she responded (not horribly slow, but when you are waiting on feedback on part 1 to do part 2, then you need it quickly). Otherwise, all the feedback has been fantastic as well as the speed of responses. When we've asked for extra help, the teachers have gone over and above at giving information and helping. They've helped with both my student's questions as well as my mom questions. I find the feedback both positive and encouraging as well as constructive. Seeing the feedback on other student's writing as well makes me realize how great the feedback is to everyone as any level of writing. They meet the student where they are and take them to the next step (or next several steps). ... and the improvement carries over into all the rest of my kid's writing.

By the way, my two oldest are STEM kids--one severely dysgraphic, one at which words come easily. My middle schooler has learning disabilities as well, but loves to write. My little guy has enjoyed tagging along in some of the family classes and will take his first kid's class this year. I'm a mom that understands the mechanics of writing, but in no way shape or form can I give feedback on how to improve the writing.

...can you tell I've enjoyed our Brave Writer experience?

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 8

...can you tell I've enjoyed our Brave Writer experience?

Yes! :-)

Thank you so much for typing this out. It is VERY helpful. 

One more question...how old is your "little guy"? I was wondering when I might begin a family-style class with my "little girl" who loves words more than any kid I've ever been around (complete opposite of her brothers). 

• Like 1

For those who have done kidswrite intermediate, I have a very strong writer. She'll be in 7th grade next year and she has done 2 years of intensive classes that covered all sorts of formats, transitions, intros, conclusions, etc. I'm now looking to loosen things up next year and allow her some space to just be a writer. Do you think KWI is appropriate? I realize that's hard to answer without knowing her, but any feedback is great.

For those who have done kidswrite intermediate, I have a very strong writer. She'll be in 7th grade next year and she has done 2 years of intensive classes that covered all sorts of formats, transitions, intros, conclusions, etc. I'm now looking to loosen things up next year and allow her some space to just be a writer. Do you think KWI is appropriate? I realize that's hard to answer without knowing her, but any feedback is great.

I'd start her in Expository Essay if you want essay skills as opposed to fun, or a fiction (my friends son did the fan fiction) But you can send a writing sample in & they'll advise you:)

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

Dd just finished KWI and just turned 13.

Some were younger in the class, some were older.

Before deciding I mailed to BW

I explained were dd was, and between what classes I was hesitating.

They know their courses, I know my child, together we could make a satisfying decision.

My son did KWI amd Expository Essay in 8th.

For 9th, he did two Boomerang Book Club months and he will take the Shakespeare in May.

I'm hoping to convince him to do the June Photography and Writing, and put it towards Fine Arts. He will balk at working on school until July, but we'll see :)

I love handing over English for a few weeks and then having it back for our own thing. It is the best if both worlds for us.

• Like 3

My dd did KWI as an 8th grader at the beginning of the year.  It was great for her.  She could have handled EE, but KWI gave her some excellent tools that she has used for the whole year in other essay-writing situations.  I had planned to have her do EE this spring, but she would rather take Passion for Fiction.  So now I'm thinking I might save the $$ on EE and have her work through the second half of Help for High School while she is doing Passion online.

That last phrase sounds funny, doesn't it?  :rolleyes:

There will definitely be more BW classes in her future. I love that they are short, so I don't have to commit the whole year's writing instruction to an outside provider, but like Penguin, I like having a breather for a few weeks! And dd gets something extra from the instructor feedback, and from getting to read the other student's papers.

• Like 5

Thanks for the feedback. It confirms my gut, but I will probably still touch base with BW before dropping the money. We were originally thinking that she would do the center for lit writing class (she is definitely doing the lit portion), but listening to the sample, it feels so exactly the same as what she has been doing. That's when I started thinking BW might be more what we are looking for.

• Like 1

Another Bravewriter fan here.  DD is 13 and in 8th grade.  Since spring of her 6th grade year, DD has taken Middle School Writing Projects, Literary Analysis of Shakespeare x2, Groovy Grammar, Fan Fiction, and Playing with Poetry.  She is currently enrolled in Kidswrite Intermediate.  I would characterize my daughter as a willing and natural writer; the Bravewriter approach works BEAUTIFULLY for her. I also agree that they are very helpful with placement.

As for the current class, Kidswrite Intermediate, it is probably a little light for DD's skill level.  I agree with Rose, though, that the class is teaching her skills which will be useful.

Finally, I would  VERY HIGHLY recommend any class with Susanne Barrett.  She.Is.Amazing.

ETA:  I forgot to address workload.  I find that the workload varies.  In our experience, the classes described as high school level can be pretty intense (note:  DD has taken them as a youngster.)

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3

Another Bravewriter fan here.  DD is 13 and in 8th grade.  Since spring of her 6th grade year, DD has taken Middle School Writing Projects, Literary Analysis of Shakespeare x2, Groovy Grammar, Fan Fiction, and Playing with Poetry.  She is currently enrolled in Kidswrite Intermediate.  I would characterize my daughter as a willing and natural writer; the Bravewriter approach works BEAUTIFULLY for her. I also agree that they are very helpful with placement.

As for the current class, Kidswrite Intermediate, it is probably a little light for DD's skill level.  I agree with Rose, though, that the class is teaching her skills which will be useful.

Finally, I would  VERY HIGHLY recommend any class with Susanne Barrett.  She.Is.Amazing.

ETA:  I forgot to address workload.  I find that the workload varies.  In our experience, the classes described as high school level can be pretty intense (note:  DD has taken them as a youngster.)

Thank you for the teacher recommendation! I always wonder how one should choose (other than schedule).

• Like 1