Menu

Science for 2nd & K (and Art)

KBadd

I need ideas for Science for next year, with my boys who are 2nd grade and K/1st grade.

We love reading books together, and I know they are learning. But it is way easier for me to teach math, grammar (FLL) and history (SOTW) than Science - it's not happening as often or as in-depth as we'd all like. I like structure in my curriculum, although I don't want to give up great reading. But my oldest is always begging to do experiments or projects! I know he would really benefit from doing this more often. We also have a 2 yr old and I'm pregnant, so I'd love some sort of kit I can purchase or something that doesn't require me to do a lot of thinking and planning :) (Although dh could help a bit if necessary.)

Any ideas of what I should take a look at? We've done anatomy and biology loosely this year. We're Christian, young earth if possible. I appreciate any recommendations :)

PS we have a similar situation with Art. I need some structure to help ensure we do it :) I'm looking at Home Art Studio or Artistic Pursuits. Cast your votes!! :D

We just started Christian Kids Explore (Earth & Space).  There are two lessons per week, one is a reading based lesson and the other is an experiment.  You fill in with some library books as time allows (listed in the back of the manual).  There is also coloring pages, memory work, and a few worksheets & quizzes. We are only a few weeks into it, but so far the experiments have been really easy.  This week we boiled eggs, cracked them a bit and moved the egg shell around to see how the Earth's plates would move around.  Last week we made models of the Earth's different layers (using either paper cutouts or playdough).

• Like 1

Kids that young really don't need formal science. Some don't do any formation science until high school and their kids are fine, they learn so much by reading or expiring nature, documentaries, etc.

As for art, I really love Artistic Pursuits! It's so easy to teach, the lessons are fun, and you really feel you are making real art, not just a bunch of crafts. It's a little pricey but I'd highly recommend it.

• Like 1

My kids really enjoy home art studio k level. I bought all the supplies ahead of time (I'd get crayola paint btw) and put it all in 1 container. I pop in the video and get my conatiner and viola there's art. :)

I don't know anything about artistic pursuit, but all 3 kids are doing art and yes it's crafty. However, this suits my needs.

Hth.

We just started Christian Kids Explore (Earth & Space). There are two lessons per week, one is a reading based lesson and the other is an experiment. You fill in with some library books as time allows (listed in the back of the manual). There is also coloring pages, memory work, and a few worksheets & quizzes. We are only a few weeks into it, but so far the experiments have been really easy. This week we boiled eggs, cracked them a bit and moved the egg shell around to see how the Earth's plates would move around. Last week we made models of the Earth's different layers (using either paper cutouts or playdough).

This sounds great! Off to look into it! ;)

I definitely recommend Home Art Studio, we own all of them!

For science, we did Earth Science and Astronomy in 2nd grade and I put a free guide on my blog about what to read each week, projects to do, videos to watch and even some games.  I haven't checked the links in a while but it will give you an idea of how easy it is to do it yourself!  http://www.cambridgeshireacademy.com/2012/01/earth-science-topics.html

Forgot to add the Astronomy links, I didn't do a guide for it but here is a link list: http://www.cambridgeshireacademy.com/2010/01/astronomy-links-index.html

Edited by Classically Minded
  • Like 1

I definitely recommend Home Art Studio, we own all of them!

For science, we did Earth Science and Astronomy in 2nd grade and I put a free guide on my blog about what to read each week, projects to do, videos to watch and even some games. I haven't checked the links in a while but it will give you an idea of how easy it is to do it yourself! http://www.cambridgeshireacademy.com/2012/01/earth-science-topics.html

Forgot to add the Astronomy links, I didn't do a guide for it but here is a link list: http://www.cambridgeshireacademy.com/2010/01/astronomy-links-index.html

Thank you! That will be a great resource, either on its own or as a supplement. :)

Have you looked at the Elemental Science classic series? We are doing the intro version but I think the other versions have a similar format. It has a weekly topic with a suggested activity/experiment and a suggested reading list which might be what you are looking for. My library doesn't always have the suggested ones but I can always find something on the topic which is what I need because I need an outline to keep on track. It's not the most exciting but at least with the schedule laid out for me I can expand on it when I am so inclined.

This isn't a curriculum, but just a bunch of cool experiments using stuff around the house-"365 Simple Science Experiments" We use it as something fun to do when we haven't gotten to our science book for awhile (which happens more than I'd like). It's sorted into chapters like Weather, Dirt, Magnets, things like that, so you could possibly make some sort of curriculum out of it by adding a few books on the subject from the library or something. (There's also a 2nd book-More 365 Simple Science experiments).

I need ideas for Science for next year, with my boys who are 2nd grade and K/1st grade.

We love reading books together, and I know they are learning. But it is way easier for me to teach math, grammar (FLL) and history (SOTW) than Science - it's not happening as often or as in-depth as we'd all like. I like structure in my curriculum, although I don't want to give up great reading. But my oldest is always begging to do experiments or projects! I know he would really benefit from doing this more often. We also have a 2 yr old and I'm pregnant, so I'd love some sort of kit I can purchase or something that doesn't require me to do a lot of thinking and planning :) (Although dh could help a bit if necessary.)

Any ideas of what I should take a look at? We've done anatomy and biology loosely this year. We're Christian, young earth if possible. I appreciate any recommendations :)

PS we have a similar situation with Art. I need some structure to help ensure we do it :) I'm looking at Home Art Studio or Artistic Pursuits. Cast your votes!! :D

I haven't read any of the previous responses but we're in the same boat with the same age ranges as you.  I was looking at doing Noeo Chemistry next year - there's a kit and you can get the books at the library if you want to keep cost down.  I'm also considering Quark Chronicles as the reading sounds incredible - I'm just concerned about actual 'planning' as I don't think my kids are old enough for the notebooking pages yet and I don't have Wayfarers.  So I'm leaning more toward Noeo.  

As for Art I'm also considering Home Art Studio.  I was originially considering Artistic Pursuits but when I looked at HAS, I just seemed to like it better - not sure why, just my thoughts. :)

Best wishes in your decisions.  It's fun and hard to make all these decisions!!

• Like 1

I was about to write almost this exact post. I am piggy-backing on yours instead, if that's okay :) We have a 6yo, 4.5yo (doing k/1 work this year), 2.5 yo, and we could be matched any day with our first DD from China. Very similar situation and age range.

My current thought is to do Apologia for astronomy (14 chapters), Sassafras for earth science (18 chapters), and wing it for 4 weeks of geology based on what Sassafras doesn't cover (volcanoes/earthquakes, rocks and minerals and gems). I think I would just buy the texts of each one and then do narration pages each week. It is pretty easy to print off a coloring page from those topics and leave room at the bottom for writing.

For experiments, I am thinking about getting the VanCleave books and using the experiments outlined in this free earth science/astronomy plan, which might be what you're looking for in general.

https://wateronthefloor.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/earthscienceastronomy.pdf

I love it but want to buy fewer books next year.

Hope that helps! And if anyone has any thoughts about my tentative plan I would love to hear them.

• Like 2