Menu

9th grade biology for 7th grader?

Older child is going in to 9th grade. He has little to no interest in science. He is advanced in math. He plans to major in computer science. I have biology planned for him for 9th grade. I have not picked the program yet, but am leaning toward ck12.org. Younger child really loves science and is always reading science oriented books and telling me about it. He is above average in math, but I would not say really advanced. He will be in algebra in 8th grade. 

Would it be bad to do 9th grade science with both of them together?

• Like 1

Why would it be "bad"?

I see no reason a strong 7th grade student cannot take high school biology, if he is interested and you think he is capable.

You could, however, run into sibling dynamic, so I would make sure they are on board with working together.

I have not found any subject in which my kids could work together - too different learning styles, interests, and levels.

Older child is going in to 9th grade. He has little to no interest in science. He is advanced in math. He plans to major in computer science. I have biology planned for him for 9th grade. I have not picked the program yet, but am leaning toward ck12.org. Younger child really loves science and is always reading science oriented books and telling me about it. He is above average in math, but I would not say really advanced. He will be in algebra in 8th grade. 

Would it be bad to do 9th grade science with both of them together?

Just FWIW for olderChild, most CompSci degrees will require college chem and a year of physics (mine did).

As someone recomended, you might look @ ML Bio. It's really math-light.  We're doing it w/ an 8th grader.  His enthuastic 6th grade sister decided she's also interested and has jumped on board.

Both are doing just fine (I'm using the publisher's tests, they're both scoring above 90%).

I don't see any problems w/ a 7th grader taking it.

Just FWIW for olderChild, most CompSci degrees will require college chem and a year of physics (mine did).

I don't know about most, but dh's CS degree required neither. He had one semester of Physics (non-major level) to meet the gen ed requirement and that was the only science he took in college. 

I don't know about most, but dh's CS degree required neither. He had one semester of Physics (non-major level) to meet the gen ed requirement and that was the only science he took in college. 

My husband's CS degree from the UC required two semesters of general chem and two semesters of engineering physics. My older daughter's CS program required 12 units of science from the two semester chem, bio and physics sequences. She had to include both courses in one of the sequences, plus one or two from a list of elective science courses. She couldn't take non-major chem, bio or physics, but has to take the same courses that other engineering disciplines require.

Maybe the science requirement is partly tied to how much electrical engineering is required as part of the particular CS degree. Both my husband's CS program and my daughter's required some EE courses. I believe the UC also offered a separate CS degree that fell under the College of Letters and Science. That had fewer science requirements and was primarily software.

• Like 1

Maybe the science requirement is partly tied to how much electrical engineering is required as part of the particular CS degree. Both my husband's CS program and my daughter's required some EE courses. I believe the UC also offered a separate CS degree that fell under the College of Letters and Science. That had fewer science requirements and was primarily software.

This makes perfect sense. Dh's degree was NOT engineering related. Regentrude teaches at an Engineering college as well. Sounds like CS degrees from engineering colleges or departments have the high science requirement. Dh and I attended a liberal arts U.

This makes perfect sense. Dh's degree was NOT engineering related. Regentrude teaches at an Engineering college as well. Sounds like CS degrees from engineering colleges or departments have the high science requirement. Dh and I attended a liberal arts U.

I agree.  My oldest son graduated with a degree in computer science which came from both the college of Arts and Sciences and the College of Engineering at his university.  He did not have to take much science.

His younger brother is going to graduate with a degree in computer science and engineering from the College of Engineering (same university) and had a physics requirement as well as a science elective (he fulfilled both of those from dual enrollment).  He also had to take eight credits of EE which his brother did not have to take.  

My other son is an EE major and had to take two semesters of physics and one of chemistry.  

Erica

Biology and physics are not that closely related in terms of personality types that would like them and so on. I know they are both science, but it ends there.

Some computer science programs require calculus based physics. Generally, the ones that are ABET certified do. Others do not. My nephew in in school for computer science now, but at a liberal arts school. He simply picked two science electives to fulfill that requirement. I am loping at 2 different state universities in our state for computer science, one required calculus based physics, the other has a variety of paths to computer science, only one which requires the specific physics class. None require biology.