Menu

Third grade spelling that is somewhat independent?

lindsey

Exploring my options. We have AAS 1 and 2 and we're skimming through those just to learn the system (as is recommended), to catch up to the level he should be on. The tiles are a pain (although that'd be better if we had a magnetic board, I guess), and my son would rather just write things out. He's 8 and a fairly good reader and should be in AAS 3 I'm assuming. I'm just not sure I want to buy book 3 at this point. I've read about going without tiles, and that sounds like a good deal for us, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else we should consider before buying book 3.

I'll have 3rd, 1st, 4yo, and 2yo this summer, is there anything you'd recommend for spelling that requires a little less parental involvement, for a natural speller and good writer? 

I would agree with the Rod and Staff as well as ignoring the word lists.  My DS flew through AAS and completed level 3.  He didn't like the tiles either and it was too easy for him.  I dropped that and picked up the R&S (Grade 3, but he probably could have begun at Grade 4 after AAS 3)  and the word lists were no problem for him, but the exercises were great!  Those slowed him down a bit and he was able to do them independently.  

My DS is also a good natural speller, and Sequential Spelling is working wonderfully for us. From what I can tell it's quite different from AAS, in that it doesn't use phonograms. But it teaches a child to break down words into base words and build up from there, and to see the patterns of words. 

We do it orally, so it only take us 5 minutes. But if you wanted something for your child to do independently, and he's fine with writing all of the words, they make DVDs which he could use all by himself.

Thank you, everyone! I'm looking at R&S. Do I need both books? 

You don't *need* the TM, but considering how inexpensive it is you will appreciate having it. It makes grading a cinch, you can help without having to grab the student book, and there are test sentences prepared for you.

• Like 1

My DS is also a good natural speller, and Sequential Spelling is working wonderfully for us. From what I can tell it's quite different from AAS, in that it doesn't use phonograms. But it teaches a child to break down words into base words and build up from there, and to see the patterns of words. 

We do it orally, so it only take us 5 minutes. But if you wanted something for your child to do independently, and he's fine with writing all of the words, they make DVDs which he could use all by himself.

Eldest has been using the level 2 DVD and have mostly been good with it. (He didn't like I think it was lesson 130 to 138) 

He has no desire to change to a different program, so we will be buying DVD 3. 

I'm in somewhat the same boat as OP, except that my kid isn't a natural speller. We're working through AAS 2 (he's in third grade), and it's super easy for him but I'm staying with it, going through every lesson because his spelling is so bad and I want to be thorough.

I've also considered switching to something less teacher intensive...for those who recommended Rod and Staff, would you recommend it as highly for a NOT natural speller as you do for a natural speller?

My ds did Rod and Staff last year and he started to cry every time I pulled out the rod and staff spelling book! I liked it ok but for him it was hard and he is not a natural speller. We are working through AAS 2 right now and will go into 3  soon. He is doing much better, no more crying! I think it really just depends on the child! I don't feel like it is really that time consuming. My son doesn't like the letter tiles he thinks they take too long but I have found it helps him to slow down and segment the words, before he was always leaving out a letter but he is starting to pick up on it a lot better.

We did AAS up until Level 6 and got burnt out because it is so teacher-intensive but my dd also loved Spelling Workout and continued to do it alongside AAS.  She now does it only and still loves it.  I don't have to do anything but put the list on Spelling City and then she takes her pretest and test on there and grades her own workbook.  Very easy and does the job!

We are doing AAS, and I found that what helps me is using Evernote to record the dictations for my daughter. That way she can work on her spelling while I am helping my son with his reading. The lessons in AAS don't take us very long on the day that we do them, and then the other days everything is pre-recorded for her.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but it has made AAS manageable for us. Oh, I also ask her if she would just like to write the word out on a dry erase board or use the tiles....most of the time now she just writes the word.