Menu

Anyone not had their children in braces?

Prairie~Phlox

Ds1 had braces for about 15 months.  He didn't need much, but did have a small cosmetic issue in the front.  Ds1 had a palate expander at 7 and now has full braces.  His mouth is narrow, but I don't think they will be on very long.  Ds3 will get braces soon.  He has a wacky jaw and a few little issues that need some work.  

My dh and I both had braces.  I know that his mom did, but my parents didn't.  I don't know too many people in their 60s and 70s that did.  I don't have too many friends my age that didn't.

I got lucky and have great teeth, but my older daughter did not. With an underbite, crowding and impacted canines, she's needed a lot of work. My younger daughter may have a little crowding and may have braces for cosmetic reasons, but I think her teeth are probably fine. We might just give her the option and see what she wants. The orthodontist recommends it, but her teeth look okay to me. I don't think it should be too pricy or long if she chooses to do it, unlike my older daughter's treatment.

My dd 13 has crowding and a overbite, so she has been using a soft silicon mouth guard throughout the night for 3 weeks now, and the results are great so far. People have commented that she gets prettier every time they see her etc.... Her jaw line is getting stronger and the arch in her mouth wider.Very happy with it and it's only $180!

Wow!I didn't know anything like this was available.

My oldest son has braces.  His teeth were really crowded and he had a bad overbite.

My other three sons' teeth I think are going to be fine without. It's too early to tell what my daughter's teeth will be like.

Only my youngest had braces. She had a very high arching roof to her mouth and her lower jaw was also sliding backwards. There was a lot of discussion about possibly needing to break her jaw and move it forward.

My other two did not have braces. My oldest has perfect teeth. My middle has a little bit of crowding on the bottom, but it doesn't affect her bite. The crowding isn't so much that you would necessarily notice it.

For my youngest, the braces were an absolute necessity. She only lost her first 7 teeth naturally. The first two on top knocked out four teeth and took up that entire space. The first two on bottom knocked out three teeth and took up that entire space. After that, her teeth came in either behind the adult teeth she already had or came in as fangs above the adult teeth she already had. She had to have braces to widen her jaw and that had the additional benefit of stopping her lower jaw from receding (don't know if it actually helped stop her lower jaw from receding or if that just happened to occur at the same time). The type of braces my dd had worked to widen her jaw at the same time that it moved her teeth.

Dd (oldest) got hers on just before Halloween. Next week she goes for oral surgery to get some chains placed in two molars that are not growing upward. The hope is that the chains, when attached to her bottom set of braces, will guide the molars upward. If not, they will have to be removed.

Both dh and I had similar situations with our teeth. I had crowding and a bottom molar growing vertical. He had two molars like dd's that needed to be removed.

She also had a snaggle tooth that need some guidance to come in. Ds 1 has a minor one as well. While he has not yet been for a consult, I am considering having him looked at this summer. I anticipate his need for braces will be minor compared to dd, but we'll see what's hiding under the gums.

Ds 2 has some years to go before it's a concern.