Menu

The runt of the litter - how small is too small?

UncleEJ

I went to see a little of Akita puppies yesterday. I picked out a male and he will be coming home in about 4 weeks!!

But I have a question about runts. In this case, the runt was also the only female. The pups are currently 4 weeks old and she was less than half the size of the rest of them. I'd guess she was close to the size of the rest of them at birth. So, so small. Of course, I got super attached to her and DH said we should get them both. But I'm concerned there might be an underlying health issue.

How small is too small for a runt?

Would you get her?

I would NOT get two puppies.  Never ever never.  It's hard enough to raise one puppy "right."  To raise two well is almost impossible.  Even very experienced dog trainer's won't do it.  Another reason I wouldn't do it is because I don't want the heartache of having two elderly dogs at the same time--the potential heartache of losing two dogs within a small window of time, plus a big dog's senior years are often very expensive.  It's almost a certainty you'll need to start them on joint supplements and arthritis pain control during middle age or the early senior years.  Add to that the expense of any other health condition(s) that may pop up and even one senior dog gets very expensive.

As far as the runt -- I wouldn't compare her to the males, but I would do some research on what is a healthy weight range for a female Akita puppy at the same age and compare her weight to that.  IME some runts catch up quickly to where they should be, some can thrive and become the biggest of the litter as adults, and some . . . don't.  I assume other than size she seems healthy?

• Like 5

I agree with avoiding 2 pups at a time.  Training is SUCH a pain and, while we did get the basics covered, they were never as well-trained as I had intended.  It was just too difficult, confusing for them, and time consuming.  And losing both of them within a year and a half has been traumatic.

• Like 2

We have a friend that got 2 puppies at once and it's kind of been a train wreck.  They developed this pack mentality and just basically hate everyone else.  They definitely aren't as well trained and behaved as their previous dog.  She definitely regrets it. 

• Like 1

No way I'd get an Akita. Much less two. Have you really thought this through.

Dangerous choice IMO.

Bill

Yep, we have a 12 year old Akita currently, I grew up with them and will always own at least one. I know the breed VERY well and understand all the reason why I *shouldn't* get one. I am very committed to the breed. 😃

As long as she seems healthy, I'd have no problem with a runt. However, as mentioned above, I'd not get two. We currently have 4 dogs (all rescues) and I will never have more than one at a time again. When I had one dog, it was a good companion, barked at appropriate times, and was all-around enjoyable. With what amounts to a pack (and even 2 will qualify), they attach to each other, are not good companions, bark at anything and everything, and are just aggravating. 

I would NOT get two puppies.  Never ever never.  It's hard enough to raise one puppy "right."  To raise two well is almost impossible.  Even very experienced dog trainer's won't do it.  Another reason I wouldn't do it is because I don't want the heartache of having two elderly dogs at the same time--the potential heartache of losing two dogs within a small window of time, plus a big dog's senior years are often very expensive.  It's almost a certainty you'll need to start them on joint supplements and arthritis pain control during middle age or the early senior years.  Add to that the expense of any other health condition(s) that may pop up and even one senior dog gets very expensive.

As far as the runt -- I wouldn't compare her to the males, but I would do some research on what is a healthy weight range for a female Akita puppy at the same age and compare her weight to that.  IME some runts catch up quickly to where they should be, some can thrive and become the biggest of the litter as adults, and some . . . don't.  I assume other than size she seems healthy?

I agree with avoiding 2 pups at a time.  Training is SUCH a pain and, while we did get the basics covered, they were never as well-trained as I had intended.  It was just too difficult, confusing for them, and time consuming.  And losing both of them within a year and a half has been traumatic.

We have a friend that got 2 puppies at once and it's kind of been a train wreck.  They developed this pack mentality and just basically hate everyone else.  They definitely aren't as well trained and behaved as their previous dog.  She definitely regrets it.

These are all great points! I don't want really want two at a time. And I already have an elderly dog.

I supposed I should have worded my post better, I am really just more curious about the runt in general. I won't be getting her. 😊

• Like 1

I would not get two Akitas at once, period.  Dog-oriented dogs are hard to train and hard to live with.

I would also not get a female. We got a Flat Coated Retriever rescue pup this summer and I swear she has so much more mental capacity than our male dogs, who only seem to be able to concentrate on one thing at a time, lol. Turns out I like that.  The trainer tried to tell me this, but I did not listen. :laugh:

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC
  • Like 1

Growing up we had the runt of a litter of Shelties. Shelties are already miniature collies, so this was a dog that looked like Lassie and was the size of a teacup poodle. He was very cute!  At his first birthday he weighed 4 lbs.  

He died at 13 months pretty suddenly from kidney disease.  Before that he had broken bones, from falling as he attempted the stairs in our house.  In his case, his size was absolutely an indication of health issues.  

I had 2 dogs when I didn't have kids.  Then I had one.  We had just one for 10 years and now I have 3 older dogs (5, 7, and 11). I have found it is easier to have well trained dogs when there are no young kids that are also being trained ;) . 

The 5 and 11 year old we rescued older.  the 5 year old is my 1st male and he is awesome.   I have never had 2 pups together. I don't know if I personally have the stamina for 2 puppies. do you have a fenced in yard?

I don't think my dogs have a pack mentality. BUT I love the way the young dog respects our old lady.  He stole my heart the day he "played" with her like he did with our other dog.  He ran circles around her while she tried to catch him.  He was so gentle.  I think more than one dog keeps the other ones busy and makes me exercise them less.

I don't know anything about Akitas but if they have a lot of energy, I would be cautious if I didn't have a fenced yard.

My cats were runts and my 7 year old dog was the runt, that doesn't bother me.