Menu

Yoga Class resumes! (Minus the white instructor)

Katy

Apparently it's perfectly fine to take yoga, as long as the person making money isn't white

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/26/yoga-class-put-on-hold-over-concerns-about-oppression-resumes-with-indian-teacher/?tid=pm_national_pop_b

This is in reference to my thread on yoga being canceled due to being deemed cultural appropriation, in case anyone missed it.

ETA: for link, and to add that I'm not angry, I just think it's interesting and...  ironic isn't quite the right word....

Edited by Katy

This appears to make you angry.  I can't imagine why it's in the national news, even as an op-ed.

Nope, not angry, just found it interesting.  It's national news because political correctness run amok has been in news opinion pieces quite a bit recently, and the original story went viral as a result.

• Like 6

Personally I find the entire thing ridiculous.

That said, I do think your title (which is accurate) is different from what you said in your first post ("as long as the person making money isn't white") because I think that would have had a problem with any non-Indian teaching it, even though a Japanese person or a black person wouldn't have garnered the same comments about colonialism.

Personally I find the entire thing ridiculous.

That said, I do think your title (which is accurate) is different from what you said in your first post ("as long as the person making money isn't white") because I think that would have had a problem with any non-Indian teaching it, even though a Japanese person or a black person wouldn't have garnered the same comments about colonialism.

Possibly, though I would not bet a lot of money - the issue seemed to be framed around colonial opression.  If someone who wasn't considered an obviously colonial opressor was teaching, I wonder if it would have occured to them to complain.

• Like 2

Possibly, though I would not bet a lot of money - the issue seemed to be framed around colonial opression.  If someone who wasn't considered an obviously colonial opressor was teaching, I wonder if it would have occured to them to complain.

According to a previous story about this that was discussed in the other thread, there were no complaints about the previous instructor or class. 

Did anyone tell Christy Turlington she shouldn't sell yoga clothes or have shown up on the cover of Time Magazine representing yoga?

Or Yoga Journal, or yoga times, or Om Yoga, or every other yoga magazine, or every yoga class in America..... there are at least 7 yoga studios, or gyms that offer yoga, within 5 miles of my house.  Race/ethnicity is never an issue in any of those mags or classes that I am aware of.

This is just one college having a kerfuffle. It's probably just one rabble rouser. Not news unless you want it to be.

Edited by Susan Wise Bauer
Image removed for copyright reasons.

Or whether they would have dared to complain, considering that is blatant discrimination on the basis of race.

• Like 1

I wonder if they should have a similar race test for all the other teachers in the university - should Algebra teachers be required to be of Arabic descent?  Must Spanish teachers trace their ancestry back to Spain?  And should English be taught only by people who can trace their ancestry back to England?  I dare them to fire all the English teachers who can't, and see what happens.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

Or Yoga Journal, or yoga times, or Om Yoga, or every other yoga magazine, or every yoga class in America..... there are at least 7 yoga studios, or gyms that offer yoga, within 5 miles of my house.  Race/ethnicity is never an issue in any of those mags or classes that I am aware of.

This is just one college having a kerfuffle. It's probably just one rabble rouser. Not news unless you want it to be.

I think people are interested in it because it is an example of something more widespread.  This happened at about the same time as the stupid kerfufle about bad ethnic food in a cafeteria being some kind of sign of colonialism.

Locally to me, at around the same time, a theatre production written by a white guy, but inspired by Chinese theatre, was protested and canceled.  I think that comes from similar perceptions, and I think its a lot more serious because it speaks to how artists can be influenced or inspired.  When we can't be inspired by arts that originate in other cultures, I think that is saying something really scary about humanity and communication.  And more than that, it is historically bizarre.

But people took that really seriously - it was simply taken as a given that it was cultural appropriation and so bad and to be apologized for.

I think that items like the yoga class are a lighter way to talk about some of those issues.

• Like 3

Sometimes people are going to go overboard but over all I think it's great!

In this one incident, maybe the outcome doesn't make sense to you but maybe the community is happy with the outcome.

I believe that everyone has the right to tell their own stories.

Also, I get a sense that some on this thread feel as though white people as a whole are being attacked because of political correctness? Please help me understand this thought or maybe I am wrong in my assessment.....

I don't think it's so great that a woman basically got fired for no good reason.  Other than that, yeah, fun and interesting and all that.

That strikes me as the most concrete issue here.  It's good that it hasn't caused her any problems, but what if it had?  They've got rid of her and then hired someone else on the basis of ethnicity.

• Like 1

Did anyone tell Christy Turlington she shouldn't sell yoga clothes or have shown up on the cover of Time Magazine representing yoga?

There were some copyright problems a few months ago with people posting covers, etc. You may want to delete the image. (SWB has some information posted about it.)

Edited to remove the image in question.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler