Menu

Easy British food for themed book club meeting?

mamakelly

It's my turn to host bookclub tomorrow, which means I chose the book (House of Silk), and I do all the food. In the past year, we've all sort of started serving food that goes with our book. So my book is a Sherlock Holmes book. I need for ideas. I was thinking I'd make shepherds pie, but someone just served that last month. Any "British" food ideas that aren't crazy complicated?

Not healthy, but there was a bangers and mash pastry on Proper Tasty the other day. I don't think regular bangers and mash sounds boring though.

Order chicken tikka

Shepherd's or cottage pie

Do tea sandwiches and scones and tiny tarts even though it's the wrong time of day

ETA link https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedpropertasty/videos/1747950442084295/

Edited by zoobie

Bangers and mash is all about the presentation.  We like to do mashed potato "volcanoes", with the bangers leaned up against the sides, peas around the bottom, and gravy poured in the "volcano" and down the sides.  

Of course there's always fish and chips, or a nice roast beef with roast potatoes, broccoli cheese, and Yorkshire puddings with gravy.  Jamie Oliver has a great Yorkshire pudding video on YouTube.

I also second the curry idea, or you could do Cornish pasties or some other form of meat pie.

The Brits are big on fish - Dover sole or even a bit of salmon would work.

Great pub food like a ploughman's lunch would work.

A nice Victoria Sponge or a Pavlova for dessert, or perhaps a fruit crumble covered in nice hot custard.

I would use the project as an excuse to watch copious Jamie Oliver videos, for inspiration purposes.

Do a tea party. Have a tea service, scones, some chocolates, and maybe a curried chicken salad?

I you want to do a savory pie, Jamie Oliver's "Fantastic Fish Pie" is a favorite of mine. I use Parmesan instead of cheddar because he did that on the show. I'm not sure the Internet recipes all tell you about the Parmesan option. Here's that recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/fantastic-fish-pie-147123I tend to omit the hard boiled egg, but with your party theme I might leave it in.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1