Menu

Algebra I in 9th?

My son is just finishing Algebra I in the next few weeks. He is a 9th grader. I originally planned to have him complete both Algebra I and Geometry this year (he began Algebra I in 8th but we switched programs so many times that I only now feel confident that we will have completed it all. This is my fault as I did not have to confidence to assess his knowledge and fill in the blanks. Instead, I had him complete another entire program.)

The other factor is that he is taking AP Language and Comp as a 9th grader. He is doing great in this class- he is very strong in the humanities. 

(He of course has a number of other classes as well but I figured these two ends of the spectrum would be useful information).

At the end of his four years his transcript will be extremely strong in the humanities with several AP's, Speech and Debate, etc. His science will be the regular sequence of Biology, Chemistry and Physics with 1 AP Science. 

Since he will finish Algebra in February should we do a semester of Geometry this year and then do a semester of Geometry and a semester of Algebra II in 10th? 

Or, should I have him work through the summer and complete Geometry this year so that he starts Algebra II in 10th. If it is important for him to do this, I know he will be willing to do the work.

Any other suggestions that I am not seeing?

I just do not know how to advise him on this. 

Your thoughts are appreciated! 

Edited by Connections

How about you have him begin geometry this year and then have him finish next year while doing Algebra II concurrently? That way he won't have to work through the summer but he will have the math progression of a stronger student (which would complement the strong humanities work).

• Like 3

I agree with EKS. Geometry and Algebra II is a good combination because they do not overlap much and one is not a prerequisite to the other. That's of course your son doesn't mind doing 2 maths. The other option is just to keep on chugging along at a steady pace not really paying attention to semesters and such. When your son is finished with one, just move on to the next. You can play around with the transcript to show completion in specific grades, but it really doesn't need to play out that way.

• Like 5

I'd start Geometry when you finish Algebra. However, I would consider his future plans in deciding if pushing is worth it. If he is a humanities guy and isn't really interested in a competitive college, there is no reason to push. Getting through pre-calc in high school is completely sufficient for non-stem kids not trying to get into competitive colleges.

My oldest took Algebra in 9th and went through Algebra 2 and AP Stats. He took his one required credit of math in college the first semester and is very happy to never need another math class.

My youngest took Algebra in 8th, but then decided to graduate a year early. She is currently doing College Algebra with a goal of CLEPing when she is done. The college she is going to accepts the College Algebra CLEP and the only other math she will need is a statistics for healthcare class (she is a nursing major). 

• Like 2

I agree with the advice that you start with future plans for college and career path, then work backwards. If he feels strongly that he wants to pursue a degree or career in humanities, I wouldn't push the math. If he wants to pursue something STEM-related, push the math. If he is completely undecided, do as much as you can to give him as many options as possible down the road.

• Like 4

I'd keep going with math jumping right into Geometry.  Then, keep going through the Summer or do both in parallel next Fall.  Ask him his preference.  Regardless of focus, I think a solid math foundation will serve him well.  Many times humanities focused kids change majors later on.  This is especially the case if they end up in lower paying jobs (starving artists) who have the opportunity to advance if they can understand the math.  English teachers who can also teach math have more opportunities, for example.  In my profession as a software engineer, I can't count how many peers I've worked with over the years that have changed careers and majors once they discovered they would never make it as a rock star, etc...

• Like 2

I'd keep going with math jumping right into Geometry.  Then, keep going through the Summer or do both in parallel next Fall.  Ask him his preference.  Regardless of focus, I think a solid math foundation will serve him well.  Many times humanities focused kids change majors later on.  This is especially the case if they end up in lower paying jobs (starving artists) who have the opportunity to advance if they can understand the math.  English teachers who can also teach math have more opportunities, for example.  In my profession as a software engineer, I can't count how many peers I've worked with over the years that have changed careers and majors once they discovered they would never make it as a rock star, etc...

This.   I worked with two (2) people (in the same company) who had Music degrees. They later went back to school and got a B.S. in Math. Both of them were working with me, as Software Engineers, on a government project.

• Like 2

If your student has nailed down Algebra 1 (shown by comprehensive exam or other means) then move on slowly to Geometry this year. If not then continue with Algebra 1. No huge rush - better to be solid in the math you have taken then race ahead.

AMEN. He must be solid in Algebra 1.

• Like 1

Regardless of focus, I think a solid math foundation will serve him well.  Many times humanities focused kids change majors later on. 

I think this is very true, but I also think that having a solid foundation in math through pre-calc will not prevent anyone from going into any major. If the student is ready to start Calculus when they get to college, they will be able to go anywhere from there. Pushing through math too fast, particularly for a non-stem kid only leads to a weak foundation. That is much, much harder to fix than needing to take Calculus in college.

• Like 7

I missed this when it was first started, but I'll add my thoughts that it's far more important to be solid in math understanding - to be doing really well with it - than exactly how far one progresses.

If he's doing well, then doing Geometry and Alg II together would probably be my first choice if he's not opposed to it.  That would give him the bulk of the math he needs for the PSAT/SAT/ACT junior year.

• Like 2

I think finishing Geometry in the summer would be the least painless way to do it, but I suppose it depends on your summer schedule. We frequently stretched courses through the summer, to accommodate vacations or other activities occurring through the year.

I do agree that simply getting through precalc during high school is fine for most students. But if he is a solid math student, he might enjoy the challenge of getting another math class done. Having four math classes done before senior year could also free up some time for a different sort of class, if that is desired.

• Like 1

I'd just start Geometry as soon as he's done with Alg. 1 and continue on. Let each subject take as much or as little time as he needs. I wouldn't go through the summer (unless he wants to), but then I typically only do 6 weeks off for a summer break--not as much forgotten that way. It also wouldn't be my first choice to make him do two maths at once. Just let him progress at a good, solid pace. 

• Like 2