Menu

Tips for teaching months of the year??

PameliaSue

:bigear:

My five-year-old doesn't know these yet. Every school morning we sit down and do five-minute calendar -- what day is it, what month, what year. This is the sloooow way :)

I've heard songs are a good way, but I'm interested to see what others have to say.

I forgot to add that he crosses off the previous day on his own calendar and turns the page over each day for another day to day calendar.

we made a calendar book (kind of like suggested in FLL)...I printed out calendars for each month that have room at the top for a picture. I'm sorry I can't remember where I got them, maybe donnayoung.org? I'm sure you'll find some if you google. Anyway, we then drew or put pictures of events or things that remind us of that month, like picture of family member with birthday that month, pictures or stickers of holidays, scenes of the season or sporting events from that month. My kids loved this. Sometimes we would copy a sentence on the bottom, like My birthday is in October, or The spring months are March, April, and May. As for memorizing them, we did best just by taking them three at a time and saying them over and over until they got it.

hth

The best thing that worked for us was making up my own songs.

I am not very musically inclined. I just put both the months of the year and days of the week to a simple tune. I did not add any rhyme or extra words.

Within 3 weeks DD4 was able to sing both songs and even the 18month old knows the days of the week song. I tried using a well known song to teach DD4 the continents, but it just did not stick for any of us. So I am going to make up my own one and teach it that way.

Here are some ideas:

~Incorporate calendar skills into your school days.

~Horizon's Math teaches calendar skills.

~Read picture books and rhymes about months and days of week.

~Create simple little books using the pictures from our books, then children flip through the pages and read the names of the months in order as they work towards memorizing the order.

~If children are overwhelmed with the task, break down the project. Focus on three months at a time: memorize Jan,Feb,Mar; then move on...

HTH.

we made a calendar book (kind of like suggested in FLL)...I printed out calendars for each month that have room at the top for a picture. I'm sorry I can't remember where I got them, maybe donnayoung.org? I'm sure you'll find some if you google. Anyway, we then drew or put pictures of events or things that remind us of that month, like picture of family member with birthday that month, pictures or stickers of holidays, scenes of the season or sporting events from that month. My kids loved this. Sometimes we would copy a sentence on the bottom, like My birthday is in October, or The spring months are March, April, and May. As for memorizing them, we did best just by taking them three at a time and saying them over and over until they got it.

hth

Months and seasons have been hard for us, because where we've lived has either not matched the US holidays or not matched the northern hemisphere seasons. I love the idea of making a calendar book.

Months and seasons have been hard for us, because where we've lived has either not matched the US holidays or not matched the northern hemisphere seasons. I love the idea of making a calendar book.

:lol: Ds here said once when we were doing a "winter" month, "well, it must be snowing somewhere," in a rather wistful voice.

For OP: We got one of those magnetic calendars from Melissa & Doug. It works for years and has lots of holidays and personal magnets (dentist, library, etc.). Ds take turns on the weeks or months.

We've used poems for days/months.

When they can read, I've cut apart slips of paper with the months, days of week, etc. written on them and had dc arrange them in order. We did that for colors too -- but the "correct" way to answer was to color over the black color word.

We used to go to starfall.com and print out the calendar page that each dc "designed."

We use this song.

Click where it says "Click here to listen to the song" and a window will pop-up. It looks like a puzzle, but hit the start button and a video with the song begins. My kids love it, but more importantly they know the months of the year. Even my 3yo.

HTH

We're using Saxon Math K right now and we start each math lesson with the Meeting Book. If you're not familiar with the materials, the Meeting Book for level K is used for daily calendar exercises... learning days of the week, months, dates, year, etc. My little man looks forward to the meeting book every day and usually pulls it off the shelf to get it ready for me.

BTW, you could purchase the Meeting Book separately to use for the calendar exercises.

Melissa

Each year, I bought dds their own calendars for Christmas, which they put in their own rooms. I never did anything special with them other than talk about the months and dates and whatnots in normal conversation. They saw me referring to my calendar, they went to theirs, and at some point they knew the months.

Our dc get the freebie calendars from the bank or funeral homes, one for each kid above their beds, and we do the same thing; flip over the months together, occasionally talk about what day it is, upcoming events, etc. I guess I never think of this as teaching the months... but you're right, it is.

Wow... thank you for all of your suggestions! I definitely have several options now.

To everyone that listed links and books thank you for the resource info.

We have worked on the days of the week. I remembered the song I was taught in high school Spanish... so I just sang it in English to the kids and they got it. I don't have any songs to pull out of my brain for the months. Now I do! Unfortunately for my kids I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. I can already hear them, "Mom, pleeeease stop singing!" :lol:

I have seen kids do the months of the year to the macarena! I thought it was incredibly cute!

Another thing I loved was with the days of the week.

Sung to the theme of The Adams Family

Day's of the week

(clapping)

Days of the week

(calpping)

Days of the week

Days of the week

Days of the week

(clapping)

There's Sunday and there's Monday

There's Tuesday and there's Wednesday

There's Thursday and there's Friday

And Then there's Saturday

Day's of the week

(clapping)

Days of the week

(calpping)

Days of the week

Days of the week

DAYS OF THE WEEK!

I agree. These are things we have never formally studied, but my boys- 10 and 7 somehow just know them. :)

I'm always remnded of the millions of children who learned months and days of the week long before there was such a thing as worksheets and whatnots, KWIM?

:)

I'm always remnded of the millions of children who learned months and days of the week long before there was such a thing as worksheets and whatnots, KWIM?

:)

I agree. These are things we have never formally studied, but my boys- 10 and 7 somehow just know them. :)

My 8.5 yr old doesn't just somehow know them and we have a project coming up that assumes he already knows the months.

He did seem to learn how to count to 100, tell time and various other things by osmosis but not the months of the year...or the days of the week.

I think what a child "catches" depends alot on their awareness of certain aspects of life AND their particular giftings. I'm sure that down the road necessity would cause him to learn them all without ANY instruction but to what end? I see a hole in his awareness/knowledge and I want to patch it.

Guest angie1313
I have seen kids do the months of the year to the macarena! I thought it was incredibly cute!

Another thing I loved was with the days of the week.

Sung to the theme of The Adams Family

Day's of the week

(clapping)

Days of the week

(calpping)

Days of the week

Days of the week

Days of the week

(clapping)

There's Sunday and there's Monday

There's Tuesday and there's Wednesday

There's Thursday and there's Friday