Menu

Should we dog sit for our friends?

MamaHappy

If I ask the neighbor boy to collect my mail for a week, I'll pay him $10. If I ask an adult neighbor, then clearly I won't pay her anything...that's kind of silly. I mean, we're adults, so we help each other. It's not a "job", unlike for a kid who may have no other means of making a little pocket money.

Asking a neighbor to collect my mail is not even in the same universe of favors to me. 

Collecting my neighbor's mail takes 2 minutes and is nearly effortless. 

Taking care of a dog in my house that is going to need several walks a day plus close supervision because I don't know how he'll react to the cat, the strange environment, and so on is going to take a LOT of time, and is a major inconvenience to me. It's also a much bigger responsibility - the mail isn't going to die or bite me if I forget to collect it, or if it escapes the mailbox. 

• Like 3

It's their dog. Let them pay someone to board it. I dog sit for free for some dear friends, but that's because we have dogs, a fenced yard, and we know their super well behaved dog well. Plus, she is one of my very best friends, and the reason they ask us to dog sit is not the $$, but because they spoil and adore their dog. In fact, she cheerfully (and generously) pays my kids to walk her dog for her while the dog is here. (We don't walk our dogs much, they just run around the big yard, but her dog is used to many miles of daily walks!! As I said, she's a spoiled and lucky dog.)

In your shoes, I'd just say no thanks, unless this is such a close friend, or in such dire straights (family emergency) that you feel the need to go way out of your way for her, but, if that were the case, you wouldn't be posting here, now would you?

• Like 2

If it is an emergency and they cannot find anyone else, then maybe.  I have several cats and a dog and I would not ask others to take my animals into their home, but have done so for others in an emergency.

Otherwise NO since you are not really set up for this and don't really want to do it and it is for several days not overnight.  And you have no idea how the dog and cat will react (not to stress you further but a friend of mine has a dog that actually killed another friend's cat) so this is just not something I would consider unless there was a serious need.

Be honest with them.  

Otherwise NO since you are not really set up for this and don't really want to do it and it is for several days not overnight.  And you have no idea how the dog and cat will react (not to stress you further but a friend of mine has a dog that actually killed another friend's cat) so this is just not something I would consider unless there was a serious need.

Be honest with them.  

This is very true!  I sat a dog that was pretty nasty toward our cat (ripped right through our screen door trying to get at the cat), and sat a dog who was terrified of our cat. I've got permanent baby gates up in my house to keep our dogs (and boarders) in a contained area, and allow the cat to have its area free of dogs. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

We have one cat who my wife says taught all of our dogs to be respectful of the cats.  He is a Black Male cat.  The friendliest of the cats. Our dogs and cats get along fine now.

There is a *huge* question about how it would go, if the OP agreed to dog sit (which IMO she should NOT do).  Her cat and the dog might get along or they might hate each other.   I vote NO on this...

Agreeing with this. I especially can't imagine asking someone who doesn't even have a dog themselves. You should definitely not feel bad about saying no.

I have a dog and would never in a million years ask anyone, other than my parents, to watch him when we went out of town.  I think your friend is asking more of you than she should.