Menu

Trying again - traveling with a hot turkey

momee

That's funny, lol.

My dilemma is that I am to bring the 20 lb bird to a function that begins immediately after another event we are attending.

Do you think if I were to roast the turkey and put in a cooler (with aluminum foil in it) until the time we are to eat (roughly 2 hrs after it will be removed from the oven) it would be ok?

I'm thinking I should take it out at maybe 140 ish degrees F instead of waiting until 165 - or maybe not a good idea? 

Still considering that one...

I was concerned about it getting dry - basically continuing to cook a bit.  Also worried about the skin getting wet and flabby-ish.

WHY? did I say I'd do the turkey - so stressful.

This is the southern hemisphere and people will leave roasts sitting on the table all afternoon without poisoning anyone. You'll be fine.

If you're worried about it getting dry, you might try roasting it in salt dough. That'll keep it hot too. 

Wrap in several, and I mean several, layers of foil. You should go through a ten metre roll.

Wrap it thickly in salt dough.

Bake for four or five hours or something.

Throw at concrete/ bash with an axe to open.

• Like 2

Wow Rosie.  I didn't think of that option, lol.

That's one sure way to deal with some pent up frustration though!

I have never heard of that.  

It's hilarious. I've got a picture of my great aunt attacking it with a tomahawk. I don't know why she keeps a tomahawk in her kitchen drawer. It seems a bit drastic considering this is a recipe *I* introduced *her* to.  :huh:

• Like 3

I'd absolutely just dump it in the cooler with the veggies like it was a serving dish. If it isn't one of the ones with a spout at the bottom they're fairly easy to sterilize.

Yes, definitely.  Cook it til it's done and then pop it in there.  If you wanted to be super careful you could fill the cooler with hot water to warm up all the insulation and dump it out right before you put the turkey in.

I'd be more worried about the cooler than anything else.  It might warp.  But it would be totally worth it.

Do you have to take the entire bird or could you cook it ahead of time, slice it, and take it in a crockpot that locks closed? We did Thanksgiving at MIL's assisted living apt and that's how I took the turkey. Worked out very well, but be sure to put stock in the crockpot with the meat.

Do you have to take the entire bird or could you cook it ahead of time, slice it, and take it in a crockpot that locks closed? We did Thanksgiving at MIL's assisted living apt and that's how I took the turkey. Worked out very well, but be sure to put stock in the crockpot with the meat.

This is what my MIL does.  She actually cooks the turkey the day before Thanksgiving and then we just eat it out of the roaster.  You don't get the "ooooo" and "aaaaahh" you would from the full bird, but logistically it's brilliant!  

Yes, definitely. Cook it til it's done and then pop it in there. If you wanted to be super careful you could fill the cooler with hot water to warm up all the insulation and dump it out right before you put the turkey in.

I'd be more worried about the cooler than anything else. It might warp. But it would be totally worth it.

Yes, do this. It's a caterer's trick. Fill the cooler with hot water and let it stand for a bit. Then empty it just before time to put in the turkey (this is easier if the cooler is sitting on the counter, better still if it has a drain plug you can open directly into the sink).

Then put a towel on the bottom, put in your foil wrapped hot bird, and cover with another towel. Close that cooler and DO NOT OPEN the lid again until time to take it out. It should stay nice and warm.

ETA I near-boil water in two pots on the stove and put those in the cooler. My coolers have never warped.

Edited by Seasider

I'm thinking I should take it out at maybe 140 ish degrees F instead of waiting until 165 - or maybe not a good idea? 

Still considering that one...

I was concerned about it getting dry - basically continuing to cook a bit.  Also worried about the skin getting wet and flabby-ish.

WHY? did I say I'd do the turkey - so stressful.

I believe 140 degrees is within the danger zone for turkey. I'd go higher and add broth if needed for moisture.

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 1