Menu

For those of you who have jumped through the hoops for accommodations on standardized testing

Can you give me tips for tackling the process? It seems really overwhelming.

I am waiting to hear back from the psychologist on what part of the report needs to be sent, but I am more than a little bit worried about the likelihood of getting accommodations, especially because my child took the ACT last year without any accommodations (as an 8th grader). While the score was fine for an 8th grader, it is not one we would be happy with in two years. It did surpass my state's average score and almost the national average. That doesn't seem like it will bode well with the ACT folks. 

Any BTDT advice?

I've heard (from a psychologist that deals with helping kids get accommodations) that if a student has taken the ACT or SAT and gotten an average score without accommodations that it is almost impossible to get an extended time accommodation.  I don't know if that applies to the other accommodations (separate room, keyboard, large print, scribe, etc)

But even if the ACT won't give accommodations, you could always try the SAT.

I've heard (from a psychologist that deals with helping kids get accommodations) that if a student has taken the ACT or SAT and gotten an average score without accommodations that it is almost impossible to get an extended time accommodation.  I don't know if that applies to the other accommodations (separate room, keyboard, large print, scribe, etc)

Arg! That is exactly what I was worried about. Guess I shot us in the foot trying to have him do a practice round in 8th before getting modifications. 

We will still try, but I will look into the SAT for accommodations. 

He definitely could use the extended time accommodation, especially on the writing (which I did not have him take). When the psychologist administered the testing, giving him extended time on the writing portion moved his score pretty significantly.

Thanks for your feedback.  

edited to remove frustrating outburst

Edited by AppleGreen

((hugs)) for the process.  But if he did that well as 8th grader, I'm guessing the next time the scores will go higher. 

I didn't try to get time extension for my oldest. (I knew she had adhd but we never pursued diagnosis until first semester of college.  never knew accommodations were a possibility or needed.  blush on my ignorance )

Her first time taking ACT was end of 10th grade.  and like you mentioned with yoru son, her score was above averages but not where we would have liked for scholarships and seeming to reflect her abilities.   Her math score (where she needs extended time due  in spite of  super brain on talent) was lower.  But next time..  11th grade, everything went higher and scores were great for scholarships.  and this was in spite of having a horrible essay score (her college didn't use them for anything.  timed writing and her adhd brain, ha!  dream on right.  and guess what?  she ended up with A in English comp in college so it all worked nicely)

I'm hoping that encourages you a bit that maybe his scores will improve next year and year after. That's how it worked for us without accommodations.  scores improved with test prep and being further along in studies overall.  hoping you experience the same.

• Like 1

It simply isn't true that having taken the ACT without accommodations will preclude getting them later. I had heard that and I almost didn't apply because ds had taken the PLAN (from the ACT board) and had scored very high. He received ACT accommodations. I have since heard from others whose kids did well enough on the ACT without accommodations, but when when the accommodations were requested with good documentation, they got them.

Here are a couple of threads on the Learning Challenges Board where accommodations are discussed:

Here is a thread where I talked about receiving accommodations for ds. 

Here is one on SAT accommodations.

If I can answer any specific questions or if you would like to see the letter I sent with our request, please feel free to PM.

• Like 5

Well, I just completed an application for extended time on the ACT for one of my kids about 2 weeks ago. I filled out their form, wrote a letter explaining why the accommodations were needed and wrote up a one-page "official accommodation plan" listing the accommodations used at home. I have documentation going back to preschool, so I sent about 6" worth of documents supporting that a ld exists and has existed for a long time.

I haven't heard anything back from the ACT people yet. I almost didn't send it because of some of the comments I've read that made me think we wouldn't get accommodations, but then I decided to just take a chance and see what happens because extended time will make all the difference for this child. It only took me a morning to put the stuff together. If we get accommodations from ACT, then I will try the college board as well, though I hear they are tougher.

• Like 1

It simply isn't true that having taken the ACT without accommodations will preclude getting them later. I had heard that and I almost didn't apply because ds had taken the PLAN (from the ACT board) and had scored very high. He received ACT accommodations. I have since heard from others whose kids did well enough on the ACT without accommodations, but when when the accommodations were requested with good documentation, they got them.

Here are a couple of threads on the Learning Challenges Board where accommodations are discussed:

If I can answer any specific questions or if you would like to see the letter I sent with our request, please feel free to PM.

This is really good to hear!  

• Like 1

I just remembered that when a kid takes the PLAN with accommodations, it is an internal school thing. The ACT people aren't made aware of it. So they wouldn't know whether he took the test with accommodations or not. Edited by EKS

• 2 weeks later...

My son has accommodations for dyslexia and dysgraphia (and slow processing speed).

ACT was much easier - he has national time and half (what we requested)

College board only granted him time and half on written sections (not the multiple choice) He'll use this for AP exams. Choose not to appeal the decision for PSAT/SAT.

I would certainly go ahead and ask for accommodations as it won't hurt to ask.

I turned in a cover letter summarizing what I was asking for and why, a list of educational accommodations with elementary just being a summary of accommodations over elementary years, and then accommodations by year for middle/high school. I also listed testing by whatever grade it was done it on this list.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just completed an application for extended time on the ACT for one of my kids about 2 weeks ago. I filled out their form, wrote a letter explaining why the accommodations were needed and wrote up a one-page "official accommodation plan" listing the accommodations used at home. I have documentation going back to preschool, so I sent about 6" worth of documents supporting that a ld exists and has existed for a long time.

I haven't heard anything back from the ACT people yet. I almost didn't send it because of some of the comments I've read that made me think we wouldn't get accommodations, but then I decided to just take a chance and see what happens because extended time will make all the difference for this child. It only took me a morning to put the stuff together. If we get accommodations from ACT, then I will try the college board as well, though I hear they are tougher.

Just coming back to report that my son did receive extended time for the ACT. My request was initially denied and I had to appeal, which basically involved resubmitting information that was already included in the original application by fax. They were pretty quick to approve extended time once they received that.

I had read a comment on one of the boards awhile ago that said the college board was looking for certain scores to be in the 2nd percentile or lower, which initially made me hesitate to even bother to apply. Ds's scores are not in that range, but he has wide disparities in subscores that really effect processing speed. And this is the ACT, not the college board, but now I feel encouraged to give them a try as well even though I know they are tougher, so that he can possibly take some of the SAT subject tests.

It was nice to wake up to a little bit of good news this morning.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 3

We applied and received extended time for ACT, and ACT's response was quick.  I mailed the application on a Friday and 14 days later received a confirmation email for extended time.

With SAT, you have to call them or email requesting the accommodation application.  It is quicker to simply email a request for the application at the following addy:

ssd@info.collegeboard.org .

In the email request, be sure to include your child's name, address, and phone number.  We waited about 9 days prior to receiving the SAT application by mail.  Apparently, the College Board review process takes 7 weeks.  We haven't applied for SAT, so I have no idea what will be the result. :glare:

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 2

See number 3 regarding taking tests before asking for accommodations:  http://www.dyslexicadvantage.org/how-we-did-it-double-time-accommodations-for-dysgraphia-and-dyslexia/

Hi EKS,

It will not let me see the information unless I pay for a subscription.  Could you give us the "gist" of what the it stated regarding taking tests before asking for accommodations?

Does anyone know how to handle requesting accommodations (ACT) for more than one test date?  I would like my daughter to take the test at least twice.  Can I register her for two dates at the same time that I request accommodations?

Once you have accommodations approved, they are good for all tests taken through the ACT board. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know how to handle requesting accommodations (ACT) for more than one test date?  I would like my daughter to take the test at least twice.  Can I register her for two dates at the same time that I request accommodations?

The first step in applying for ACT accommodations is to register for a test date.  I registered for the April exam in the fall and then submiited the accommodations paperwork in January.

• Like 1

On the ACT form where it says "School Official Signature (not a relative)" do I still sign it b/c I am the school official (and a relative?) 

On the checklist of accommodation plan-we don't have one, my kid is homeschooled. We are not at point of having a 504 Plan, although if he goes to school or CC we are advised to have one. I just leave that blank, yes? We have not had an official accommodations plan in place, but have been accommodating since the inception. Do I check 9th grade b/c that was the year we got the formal report?

Thank you so much for any help! 

Hi EKS,

It will not let me see the information unless I pay for a subscription.  Could you give us the "gist" of what the it stated regarding taking tests before asking for accommodations?

I'm sorry--I can't seem to see it anymore either.  I have no idea how I could see it the first time.

It said that your student should not take tests through the College Board/ACT (I can't remember if they mentioned both specifically) if there is any possibility that he or she will need accommodations.

• Like 1

ACT has a reputation of being much easier to get accommodations than the SAT, and also 

We're about to apply for ACT "special testing" which is where they break the test up over multiple days.  It seems to me like he should be an automatic yes, but we'll have to see what happens.

I'm sorry--I can't seem to see it anymore either.  I have no idea how I could see it the first time.

It said that your student should not take tests through the College Board/ACT (I can't remember if they mentioned both specifically) if there is any possibility that he or she will need accommodations.

Wish I could see the article too! This doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe they were saying not to take the tests normally if your student is going to need accommodations (my understanding is that if they take the test w/o accommodations and score college-ready, they can't later ask for accommodations)? Otherwise...why not register through ACT/College Board for accommodations and then take the tests?

Wish I could see the article too! This doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe they were saying not to take the tests normally if your student is going to need accommodations (my understanding is that if they take the test w/o accommodations and score college-ready, they can't later ask for accommodations)? Otherwise...why not register through ACT/College Board for accommodations and then take the tests?

Sorry, I meant to say that they said not to take the tests unaccommodated prior to asking for accommodations.  Apparently if the student were to get an average score, the CB views that as fine even if the student was capable of much better.

• Like 1

Sorry, I meant to say that they said not to take the tests unaccommodated prior to asking for accommodations.  Apparently if the student were to get an average score, the CB views that as fine even if the student was capable of much better.

Ah, that makes perfect sense, that's what I've heard too. Thanks!

(my understanding is that if they take the test w/o accommodations and score college-ready, they can't later ask for accommodations)? 

This is a common misconception. Although it may be true of the College Board, they really look for below level test scores, not just areas of extreme disparity in test scores, ds took the PLAN and scored high enough for early enrollment in our local state U. Then applied for and received accommodations for the ACT. I have talked to other parents whose kids took the ACT without accommodations, scored in the mid 20s and still received accommodations when they applied.

I do think it is better to apply before the student starts taking the tests if possible. Having a high test score out there without accommodations certainly doesn't strengthen your application for accommodations, but it doesn't negate it either.

• Like 1

This is a common misconception. Although it may be true of the College Board, they really look for below level test scores, not just areas of extreme disparity in test scores, ds took the PLAN and scored high enough for early enrollment in our local state U. Then applied for and received accommodations for the ACT. I have talked to other parents whose kids took the ACT without accommodations, scored in the mid 20s and still received accommodations when they applied.

I do think it is better to apply before the student starts taking the tests if possible. Having a high test score out there without accommodations certainly doesn't strengthen your application for accommodations, but it doesn't negate it either.

The way it works with the PLAN, the ACT people don't actually know if the student took it accommodated or not.  You do not have to ask for accommodations through ACT for the PLAN.  

As for the kids who took the ACT unaccommodated--do you mean without extended time?  Or some other accommodation?  I've heard (and it makes sense) that extended time is the hardest one to get.  And were those kids homeschooled or school schooled?  Because again I've heard that homeschoolers tend to have a more difficult time with the process (we did not, but then again, from the time my son was 9yo, I was doing things with an eye towards his getting SAT/ACT accommodations).

Edited by EKS

This is a bit off topic, but when extended time is granted, it sounds like the student has to figure out how much time to spend on each section. Is that true? If so, is the order of the testing always the same? So reading first, math second, etc.? Do they give out scratch paper? I thought they did, but the lady who I spoke with at ACT the other day said, no, but they can write in their test booklet. Is she right?

My ds needs to write each of his math problems out on a full sheet of paper. I asked for this accommodation, but they initially denied both extended time and extra scratch paper/a marker and then they granted extended time, but there was no mention of the other. I don't want to cause confusion by now asking them to look at the second accommodation I requested when they granted the first.

ETA:  Okay, I found the answers to my questions online.  No scratch paper allowed.  5 hours for the testing, spread out any way he wants to use it and the order is always the same.  Maybe I will contact them about the scratch paper accommodation then.

This article was helpful.  http://blog.prepscholar.com/how-long-is-the-act-with-extended-time 

Edited by OnMyOwn

This is a bit off topic, but when extended time is granted, it sounds like the student has to figure out how much time to spend on each section. Is that true? If so, is the order of the testing always the same? So reading first, math second, etc.? Do they give out scratch paper? I thought they did, but the lady who I spoke with at ACT the other day said, no, but they can write in their test booklet. Is she right?

My ds needs to write each of his math problems out on a full sheet of paper. I asked for this accommodation, but they initially denied both extended time and extra scratch paper/a marker and then they granted extended time, but there was no mention of the other. I don't want to cause confusion by now asking them to look at the second accommodation I requested when they granted the first.

ETA:  Okay, I found the answers to my questions online.  No scratch paper allowed.  5 hours for the testing, spread out any way he wants to use it and the order is always the same.  Maybe I will contact them about the scratch paper accommodation then.

This article was helpful.  http://blog.prepscholar.com/how-long-is-the-act-with-extended-time 

The student does have to handle their own time management. So, they get a section, they work on it until they say they are done. Once it is closed and they open the next section, no going back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am bumping this to say our request for extended time was approved!

So, they DO grant requests for kids that have previously taken it and performed in the low average range sans accommodations. My kiddo also got a late diagnosis (as in just got it this fall, 9th grade year). I just want to encourage anyone who is unsure or feels like they don't have a good chance to at least try.

• Like 2