Menu

Best Audiobooks for 10yo boy going to sleep

My son LOVES to listen to audiobooks before going to bed. He's addicted to it, and I love it! It shouldn't be scary since he is going to sleep. Some that he has really enjoyed:

- Hatchet (his most recent)

- Stuart Little

- My Side of the Mountain

- Lots of Roald Dahl books

I have to say that he especially loves books read in a male's voice! That was sort of a funny surprise to me. He likes them in a girl's voice also, but really seems drawn to male voices even more!

TIA!!

Edited by tammyw

We just finished the audio of Ginger Pye and are now listening to the sequel, Pinkie Pye, by Estes. They're very sweet and simple, yet filled with intrigue & adventure. Though read by a woman, I think your son may enjoy them as bedtime books. We have stayed in the car in the driveway for several minutes to finish a chapter on more than one occasion because we were so engrossed in the story.

• Like 1

We just finished the audio of Ginger Pye and are now listening to the sequel, Pinkie Pye, by Estes. They're very sweet and simple, yet filled with intrigue & adventure. Though read by a woman, I think your son may enjoy them as bedtime books. We have stayed in the car in the driveway for several minutes to finish a chapter on more than one occasion because we were so engrossed in the story.

I read those aloud a couple of years ago and we all loved them! He is not opposed to listening to books we've already read, so I'll look into this one (I try to get them as CD's from the library, because he has a CD player in his room that he likes to use for this!)

My fourteen year old boy still likes Hank the Cowdog. I know, I know, not particularly "classic" literature. He especially loved all of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques (might be scary to some, not to others). Sign of the Beaver is another adventure/survival story he listened to at that age. He liked 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at an even younger age.

• Like 2

Neil Patrick Harris does Beverly Cleary's Henry Huggins books and another male does The Mouse and the Motorcycle series. My son has enjoyed Shredderman and the Nick and Tesla series. We are also huge fans of Sparkle Stories (https://www.sparklestories.com/) You can check them out on iTunes for a free weekly story. Many of the stories are for younger kids, but the  How to Be Super story was enjoyed by all of my children on a car trip several years ago. I think they have a new longer story out, but have not heard it yet. It is a man that narrates.  

As someone else said classics such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Treasure Island and A Christmas Carol were all enjoyed by my oldest around that age. Oh, Swallows and Amazons might be fun. Mysterious Benedict Society is another read by a male. And of course there is Jim Weiss.

Basically, if our library has it, and it is appropriate for my youngest kids to hear, we check it out. Three of my children listen to stories as they fall asleep. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My almost 11yo son loves the Alfred Molina Treasure Island! DH read it to him when he was about five, and he fell in love with it and asked for the audio version, which he has really enjoyed.

The 68 Rooms series by Marianne Malone is read by a woman, but my kids enjoyed it a lot. Not too girly at all.

10 is probably a little too old, but Neil Patrick Harris and B.D. Wong did great readings of Beverly Cleary's Henry Huggins and Ralph S. Mouse series, respectively.

Does Rob Ingles have a Hobbit reading? I have heard good things about his LOTR audio books.

My son liked The Great Brain and some of Andrew Clements's books a couple of years ago too.

We all enjoyed the first two Little Britches audio books.

Edited by happypamama