Menu

Cheapest airline tickets (NC to MA) - considering in person 2nd opinion for dd

sheryl

We are interested in a 2nd opinion for our 16 yo dd who had a 2nd seizure day after Thanksgiving. 

A friend has mentioned to me twice now about flying instead of the 13 1/2 hour (one-way) drive.

Where can we find inexpensive airline tickets?  Also, what are the tips and tricks for finding the cheapest seats?  It would be dd and me.  More than likely up one day and back the next unless there is one of those tips to stay and come back on 3rd day,  And, is weekend more expensive than weekday?

Any info. appreciated.   Thanks. 

No advice on the tickets, but are you sure it would only be one day? My concern is that if they wanted to run additional tests, you might be there for several days and if you already had your return tickets, you might not be able to make any changes without it costing a lot of extra money.

• Like 2

Thanks both! Cat, your right. Need to find out.

I only mentioned it because we have traveled so much for my dh's medical appointments, and we almost never end up heading back home on schedule. Either we finish up days early or end up with extra appointments that keep us there for an extra week or more. Medical stuff can be so unpredictable!

• Like 1

I only mentioned it because we have traveled so much for my dh's medical appointments, and we almost never end up heading back home on schedule. Either we finish up days early or end up with extra appointments that keep us there for an extra week or more. Medical stuff can be so unpredictable!

I get it and am glad you reminded me.  I appreciate it.   Hope all is going well for y'all, Cat!  

• Like 1

We use Southwest from Raleigh to Manchester (NH) and have found it's usually the cheapest by far.

However, if you have to go to Boston, weigh the cost and trouble of a rental car from Manchester (including parking) vs. flying an airline that goes to Logan + staying somewhere you can take the T. (Useful link: http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/logan/)

Edited by whitehawk

We just got done making reservations for a complicated trip that my husband and son will be taking this week. Kayak worked well. One leg of the trip is from NYC to Ft. Myers with a stopover in Charlotte, NC. Jet Blue was the lowest fare we could find. We booked it through Kayak because the same flight was cheaper than if we had made the reservation at the Jet Blue website.

If you need a car, try booking through Costco if you have a membership. We almost always find good deals through them. The car we reserved in Florida is just $13 per day, and on short notice, that's pretty good.

Try to fly mid-week if possible. Fly on airlines that have hubs in either Charlotte (American) or Boston (JetBlue). I think jetBlue will be your best bet. I looked at a mid-week in January and found fares for around $80 each way per person on jB.

That's amazing. Gas and road snacks would cost that much for a 13 hour trip!

Edited by KungFuPanda

I just came across this article about traveling long distances for care. I can't link it on my phone but it talks about why it doesn't always work well. You could Google ENT care and traveling long distance for care if you are interested. The highlights were that if something was wrong and you called, they could only offer three bad options; go to the ER, go to your local doctor, or come back the long way for a visit. The article also mentions scheduling tests which can be frustrating for somebody in a hotel. It's one thing to wait a week for a test at home and quite another when you are far away.

If Atlanta has a good doctor for your daughter, the drive would be closer and you could stay at my house. It wouldn't completely alleviate the long distance problem but it would help.

I forgot to add that you could look at special housing. I have a friend that goes out of state for checkups. She has some sort of housing available to her. I don't think it is Ronald McDonald but I'm not sure.

Edited by hellen

I just came across this article about traveling long distances for care. I can't link it on my phone but it talks about why it doesn't always work well. You could Google ENT care and traveling long distance for care if you are interested. The highlights were that if something was wrong and you called, they could only offer three bad options; go to the ER, go to your local doctor, or come back the long way for a visit. The article also mentions scheduling tests which can be frustrating for somebody in a hotel. It's one thing to wait a week for a test at home and quite another when you are far away.

If Atlanta has a good doctor for your daughter, the drive would be closer and you could stay at my house. It wouldn't completely alleviate the long distance problem but it would help.

I forgot to add that you could look at special housing. I have a friend that goes out of state for checkups. She has some sort of housing available to her. I don't think it is Ronald McDonald but I'm not sure.

Oh my, Hellen, that is very kind of you.  I'm touched by your offer.  After the recent concerns in the States, I don't feel completely safe for dd and I to fly.   I'm back to considering the remote 2nd opinion and after researching a bit more to learn if there is a top doctor closer to home, as you mentioned, then to drive it.