Menu

Online job applications. How do they work?

Suzanne in ABQ

My 18yods has applied online to a couple retailers in the area, Smiths (Krogers) and Guitar Center.  Now what?  Smith's sends e-mails (very vague) about job openings (just "retail employee" and a zip code for the store -- not even the store address).  We haven't seen anything at all from Guitar Center.  Is ds supposed to go in person to talk to a manager about the posted listings?  Or is he supposed to do something online?  Or what?  There is no instruction in the e-mails he received when he submitted the applications.  Nor is there any instruction in the e-mails that come announcing openings.  I only know how to get a job the old fashioned way (Dress nicely, walk in, ask to speak to a manager, ask if there are any openings, fill out a paper application, write a follow-up letter, go back and bug them every week until they hire you).  I don't understand this new system.  

Guitar center still take walk in applications. We just went to two local guitar centers to buy stuff and they were open to hiring. For retail, walk in works better. Sometimes the manager ask the person to fill up the form online using the company's laptop before interviewing.

My hubby has applied to tech jobs online. He do get called by the HR for interviews. However it is usually employee referral and linkedIn that gets him the job.

• Like 1

Agree that it's a toss-up. Most of the time when my kids have applied for online jobs, it's taken a few weeks for them to be called. 

Both have had better luck applying in person. Most recently one turned in an application, and was interviewed and hired on the spot. 

My experience is that you use the new system and then go in just like it didn't exist and do the old system. You have to have an online application, and print out your "your application has been submitted" receipt, and then do it the same way, submitting that with your resume, wearing the khaki pants and button-down shirt and all that jazz. I was kind of in the middle of this transition and from what I understand, online is for corporate but mostly you get your foot in the door the old fashioned way.

If he can't speak to a manager, chat up another boy working in the bagging area or a cashier lady or something.

Good luck to your son!

Your DS might explore CareerBuilder.com and Monster.com   and consider taking the time to register on those web sites. For someone with job experience and education, I suggest spending a lot of time (several hours or more) on each site, so the information available to potential employers who are searching for employees is very complete. If he is only 18 years old, it probably won't take him long.  The employers can search for him, and, he can search for potential employers. He can probably search by city and/or zip code. GL to him!

Almost every app ds put in when he was in college was online. When he went into the stores/restaurants, he was told that they do not want people coming in after applying online. One place said that they won't hire anyone that comes in to talk about an application they submitted online without having been contacted to come in.

Unfortunately my 18 yo ds is becoming an expert job hunter (unfortunately, meaning he hasn't found a job yet). Most large retailers and chains require an online application to be filled out before they'll even talk  to you. When ds has gone cold calling, that's the first thing they ask him. If his answer is no, they tell him to come back after he's done so. He finally learned to look online at all of the places he's hoping to get hired. Many mom and pop's still take walk-ins, and some stores will still give you an application to take home if you cold call.

After filling out the online application, the rest is similar to the old-fashioned way we're familiar with. If your ds can find out when the manager is on duty that's when he should try to go back. Dress nice, but appropriate for the job (aka not in a suit if applying for a fast food or grocery bagging job). Have him ell them he's filled out an application and ask not only if they're currently hiring, but if they expect to be hiring any time soon. Even with online applications, it still comes down to letting the manager see you in person. When looking over the applications, the applicant who has introduced him or herself becomes a face and therefore more human. Ds goes back weekly to places he hopes to get hired if it's the type of place with high turnover. 

Now is actually not a bad time to job hunt (in person or online). If a store has a fair number of college-age employees they'll know by now who's graduating this term and leaving, or moving on to a university away from home.

Edited by Lady Florida