Menu

video teaching (or audio) for bright kids

Julie of KY

What are your favorite sources of audio-video teaching for bright kids. My 8 yo is extremely bright and loves to watch physics/engineering videos such as Teaching Company and listens to everything. He loves to learn, but he's a non-reader as his working memory is 50 points lower than his IQ - very slowly learning to read.

What are your suggestions for things he can watch or listen to (when mom's busy teaching everyone else).

Favorite teaching company videos

Biographies

Netflix

streaming teaching

history or science ideas

geography

free or paid?

Connections DVDs (James Burke) also he did another similar series the title of which I forget.  relate to both history and science

Netflix:

History:

start with anything of interest to him from History Channel type material and then follow along with other similar for history, for example, if Rome interests him, all sorts of films related to that

Science: nature documentaries such as by Attenborough, or whatever interests him by specific animal, Parrots of Telegraph Hill, Winged Migration (or some title like that about birds in general, and then one called maybe March of the Penguins about penguins...  ), films about wolves, or dogs, or big cats, .... or ....   

Geography--if you have access to it let him explore google earth

also movies about parts of world can be good for both history and geography, for example, we did a time where there was a concentration on India...movie about India we saw, Title might have been India, was excellent.  

Gandhi was excellent not only for itself but for showing views of India from train...

400 Nations (Native Americans)... similarly gives some history and some geography

history: Story of the World,  Audio version.

science: Your Inner Fish

National Geographic movies

Marsalis on Music

Art Made the World

• Like 2

The Periodic Table of Videos (Chemistry) is great, along with the associated Physics and Math channels. Small bite-sized pieces, so it doesn't take the time of a whole documentary, and it's all free. My non-reading 6yo has taught himself some pretty advanced chemistry through videos and web resources.

• Like 2

Standard Deviants! I got a bunch of ones on VHS (yes, that old) from a "retiring"homeschool mom. They were originally designed to be a quick review/supplement for struggling college students. They are quirky, fun, and a little dated. There is also now a web service called SD Accelerate which is the same company, but intended for high school. In those, the videos are divided into clips, with periodic assignments/quizzes. DD was one of their beta testers, and I helped set up a group buy for our local homeschool group because she enjoyed them so much.

The BBC Horrible Histories (there's an animated one that isn't as good).

How the States got their Shapes (Netflix or Amazon Prime. It seems to go back and forth as to which it's available on)

Arthur Benjamin's Great Courses videos on math.

Mythbusters (selected episodes are on Netflix)

Audio:

Lyrical Life (and earth) Science

There Must Be Giants

• Like 2

Connections DVDs (James Burke) also he did another similar series the title of which I forget.  relate to both history and science

<snip>

Marsalis on Music

Did you find Connections to be a bit dated?  I've wanted to use it, but am afraid to take the plunge.

We LOVED Marsalis on Music, and this semester we're watching Ken Burns' Jazz on DVD, which features Marsalis quite a lot.  We're loving it, too!  The whole set was about $60 - a little steep for one viewing - but so worth it.

Standard Deviants! I got a bunch of ones on VHS (yes, that old) from a "retiring"homeschool mom. They were originally designed to be a quick review/supplement for struggling college students. They are quirky, fun, and a little dated. There is also now a web service called SD Accelerate which is the same company, but intended for high school. In those, the videos are divided into clips, with periodic assignments/quizzes. DD was one of their beta testers, and I helped set up a group buy for our local homeschool group because she enjoyed them so much.

<snip>

There Must Be Giants

I always forget about SD!  I haven't watched any yet.  I'll have to see what I can find to preview.  Thanks!

As for the last bit - do you mean the band They Might Be Giants?  We love them here.  :)  But now I'm going to be humming about the giant mass of incandescent gas all day....  ;)

Did you find Connections to be a bit dated?  I've wanted to use it, but am afraid to take the plunge.

We LOVED Marsalis on Music, and this semester we're watching Ken Burns' Jazz on DVD, which features Marsalis quite a lot.  We're loving it, too!  The whole set was about $60 - a little steep for one viewing - but so worth it.

Burke's clothes certainly look dated! And so do the computers and other technology.  But the ideas and concerns raised remain relevant. My son loved it!

• Like 1

Free:

Countries of the World songs on youtube

He might be able to navigate this site? - it has audio for all the country names - http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm

lots of audio books from the library - check to see if your library has digital audio books, too, if you haven't already

Classics for Kids podcast (music)

Khan Academy videos

Arkangel Shakespeare from the library (if available)

School house rock videos on youtube

The Element song on youtube

Sounds like he's past these, but my kids love Magic School Bus (netflix), even now that they know the concepts. :)

Paid:

Story of the World audio is worth the money, in my opinion.

Chemistry/Physics 101 series dvds (Christian content). There's also a Biology series, but we haven't used that yet.

Since it sounds like you have documentation, consider Learning alley for audiobooks.

We loved the Connections videos! You may want to preview - we didn't and occasionally I wished I had. Most of it went over my boys' heads, though, so it was fine in the end.

• Like 1

The Periodic Table of Videos (Chemistry) is great, along with the associated Physics and Math channels. Small bite-sized pieces, so it doesn't take the time of a whole documentary, and it's all free. My non-reading 6yo has taught himself some pretty advanced chemistry through videos and web resources.

What is "Physics and Math channels"?

• 2 weeks later...

Podcast Brains On! From NPR

A lot of classics and good literature books are on audiobooks.

IMAX documentaries if he doesn't like "regular" documentaries.

Anything PBS for fun (though around here most of the information is not new).

Outrageous acts of science TV series from science channel.