Menu

workboxes for the older kids (& SN)

We're trying to work towards more independent schooling this year for my 4th grader.  

Doing a visual planner and a segmented crate system worked for my older son.  

This kid is a whole different onion.  

* He can't seem to follow a planner, only individual directions. (I think the problem is visual scanning and sequencing, fwiw).

* He can't find his materials or return his materials if they are mixed together in a backpack or crate or if they are on a bookshelf. Each subject and all of its components need to be in a separate box from all other things.

So, workboxes come to mind.

He has a Trofast system for his toys, and that has been GREAT.  I think he'll go for the workbox system.....but how do I train him towards independence with the system?

Tips? Experiences with your own kids?  Thanks!  I need people to mull this over with before I plunk down $$$ and hours of my life getting it set up.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

We used a modified form of workboxes for a while.  I found these latch-able see thru colored boxes that stacked well.  I had to keep everything the kids needed in each box which became problematic if they needed to share resources. Or expensive if they had to have their own.  Honestly, I liked the workboxes but they were not as successful long term as I had hoped.  Maybe someone else can give you some solid advice on this.

What ended up working better for us was a rolling library cart and magazine holders, along with each person having their own latch-able materials box.  The magazine holders are labeled.  Each child has their own shelf and each magazine holder is for a different subject or for two subjects  but always the same subjects in the same order.  Any materials specific to that subject are in the magazine holder.  Top shelf has the reference materials, like a dictionary.  We roll out the cart, go down the line doing the materials in order as they appear on the shelf, then put it all back again.  DD now knows where to get her stuff and can function pretty independently.   It took time, practice and consistency but she is mostly there now.  DS, not so much but we have run into unrelated issues.

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1937473090/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687702&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1942197071&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1F9ASVAFNV2TE6GND62W

I am linking this, but the books listed with it I think would all have info about how to teach using the systems in general, even if you didn't use their kind of system.  I follow this woman's Facebook, but I haven't read this book.  I have read one of the books that pops up with it, the one about visual activity schedules.

I also am aware that TEACCH has a lot about workboxes.  I have not looked at it much, but it is a place I would look for info. 

I can tell you ideas I have read, though.... put little treats or fun things in with the work tasks.  It can make it more fun to come across those things.  Well, I guess that is the main thing that has stuck with me.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

We used the magazine holders too and color coded the subjects. We also have their own shelves on a bookshelf for 'their' things. The rolling library cart is genius. I am sure I would find min outside in the dirt tho lol.

We have a stationary short ,deep, and wide bookshelf. ( Walmart I think)

And the magazine holders are labeled with their names ( cuz they get em mixed up when they bring them out to use) and what subject goes in that magazine holder....written on those stocky office suppy stickers....(sorry I don't know what they are called).

But, each child has the subject written on the color sticker thst goes with thst subjects color. And folders of those colors in THAT magazine holder.

For instance:

Reading- red (folder and sticky on the spine of the magazine holder written...reading)

Language- orange ( orange folder for those papers and orange sticky labeled language put on the spine of magazine holder , under the red reading label)

Math- blue and so on.

I have a laminated 'key'sheet posted above the bookshelf on the wall. So if they forget or get confused. They can refer to the key posted above.

This has been the ONLY thing that has worked for me and we had everything everywhere. The teachers used to complain...where is his planner!! Or paper s etc.

We have planner trouble too and his sp.ed. teacher said he will have to be a lifelong list maker.

I bought a fun kid planner....think was from rainbow and THAT goes on his shelf that is solely his shelf.

I have rewards and consequences for losing or not using planner or folders posted above too and put stars on the laminated reward/ consequence sheet.

Ironically.....I also had to have a different reward/ consequence sheet for each child...NOT sectioned off on the same sheet. They couldn't follow thst. Had to have their own.

It's hard for me to stay completely consistent in checking their planners daily cuz...I just get tired lol but. I think the key like one-step said....is consistency from mom.

I had to set an alarm on my phone to check and go over planners daily. Just like I have the alarm that goes off to take meds...same with planners. Thsts the only way I have found to stay consistent myself with checking and going over planners. And I agree with you. They are essential esp. For the spec. Needs child.

I also color coded their life. They got to pick their colors.

One child is Blue

Other child is green.

They have their own green towells, cups, plates, planners ( we laminated construction paper thwy colored to the planners front and back so no confusion on whose is whose).

EVERYTHING is color coded for them. Helps them distinguish , plan in their mind like...OK. That's my blue towell. I better go hang it up or I'm gonna have a consequence .

I also have their own wall hangers with pegs. They got to paint the wood, they loved thst, and its labeled above each peg what goes where. In the bathroom on their own color coded peg hanger....its written, towells (2pegs) p.j.'s, and even hat. I got sooooo tired of call caps layin all over the bathroom. P.j.,s thst noone knew if they were clean or dirty. Was maddening .

In the bathroom they also have their own spray painted basket for their own dirty clothes . if I didn't do that....they were strewn everywhere .

Now they get away with nothing and the house stays more organized . of a blue towell is on the floor....they are the one getting the consequences which, makes them want to keep it picked up.

Gotta be consistent there too.

Makes life so much easier and less wasted time looking for things. Their room has the same kind of pegs mounted on painted boards and no excuse for a mess :)

When all 5 of mine were at home I went to a household management seminar for large families ( and we r in a small house relatively speaking) ....I learned the color coding stytem there and how to employment.

With 5 kids. I was CERY tired of things strewn and ' nobody' did it. Ok. Yea. Color code ur bilitts. Now who did it :) :)

Granted inevitability another child will sometimes grab their siblings color something... It is thst child's responsibility to make sure the offending sibling picks it up...or they do cuz ultimately THEY will be the ones getting the consequences .

Tho there was the occasional fight over a sibling not wanting to pick up the wrong color towell or w/e but.....the one responsible would usually get it up.

• Like 2

The elementary version of these is what we're using.  Workboxes, as promulgated online, are missing important steps for kids with SN, which is why you keep thinking they ought to work but are missing something or might not work for some reason.  This lady's stuff is more thorough.  She also has awesome visual schedule materials with options for older kids.  You use multiple components together to create a complete approach to your day.  Structured work systems are for independent work.  They structure his independent work time.  Then you can use visual schedules (with pictures or words or in a planner, whatever is appropriate) to structure the overall day.  Different things, working together.

The first two links are to her kits on TPT.  The third link is to an article on her blog.  

Structured Work System Starter Kit for Autism--Elementary Version

Structured Work System Starter Kit for Autism--Secondary Version

Workbasket-Wednesday-Advanced-Tasks-Fold

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

Like Kat I color-code everything. I have a DD13 who has extra needs and a DS7 who is book-smart but not super practical and would lose his head if it wasn't attached. 

So yeah, I've tried workboxes in the past but mostly I don't have the space/money to implement it in a way that would work for our 5 kids. If you want a good idea check out Confessions of a Homeschooler's homeschool desk setup. It's ingenious and someday I will save up and do the exact same thing because it's great. I did take away some key elements of her setup that you can do with whatever space you currently have. 

1. each child has space for their own personal schoolbooks

2. all school tools are within reach so they don't need to stand up to get them (this is the flaw with my current setup)

3. items are somehow separated by child/subject

What we have that works fairly well with our scatterbrained boys and routine-loving-adhd girl is the following:

A cube bookshelf (ours is a cheap Target one but Ikea's fit binders better). Each child has a cube that holds all their schoolbooks.

Each child has a color-coded binder (their colors are shown in my signature also, lol, I seriously use the colors for just about all their stuff and I've been known to mark toys with nail polish to stop fights over whose matchbox car is whose). The color-coded binder has their name and grade on it as well. Inside are 7 dividers, one for each subject and they put all their completed work in there. 

I have a metal utensil caddy that I use as an art bucket. It holds pencils, colored pencils, pens, chalk, scissors, glue, and rulers....all the basic stuff the kids might need for school time. We tote that thing around wherever we do school and it's super useful. 

• Like 2

Our 2e 12 year old daughter with Asperger's syndrome, executive function issues, and who is also  gifted uses workboxes. She is still using third grade math (Beast Academy) but is using seventh grade history (Bookshark) and I have her reading adult level popular science books for science right now until she starts with Bookshark again.  Bookshark 7 uses SOTW as a spine with about two dozen additional books.

Workboxes are interesting since  the system has really forced me to be a lot more organized.    I have to load the boxes each night before bed.  We are using colored stackable boxes with lids from the Container Store, because as the kids get older the books get heavier.  

My typically developing daughter (now age 14) wants nothing to do with workboxes, feels they are too rigid for her. 

Edited by treasuremapper

I LOVE workboxes for older kids (I started near the end of my kids' 6th and 4th grade years). Here are 2 blog posts with pictures of ours. Oldest used them throughout high school, youngest used them until this year (Junior year). 

As far as training him--I told my kids it was like a 3-d schedule showing them what to do. Each box has just what they need for that subject--take it out, do it, put ALL books/supplies BACK in the box, and THEN move the sticker to the "done" position. Pretty easy, and kept things from getting lost.

Our boxes were always straight-forward. Do the next assignment. Do this for X minutes (like, read for 30 minutes etc...). They could ask for help or if they had questions. I went over anything that was "tricky" in our one-on-one tutoring time early on in the day. I checked in daily, so I knew how each subject was going, and of course some I was more involved than others. 

If it's harder to tell what to do, use red and green sticky tabs. Green means go--start here. Red means stop--stop at this point. That made it very clear what to do. 

I think it's important to not totally change how you school, or workboxes can flop--but you can certainly gently nudge towards more independence. They're great for kids with ADHD or focus issues.

• Like 1

Oh I didn't even really know what workboxes were until I went to thst link.

I tried a variation of thst with my oldest son. No LC. And they were full of rocks and beads and trinkets bed found at the river ,lake backyard w/e.

My 2 right now would have them ...well. Just wouldn't be good lol.

Good system tho.

laundry with their own bins stacked worked really good for us when I bad 6 kids here.

Invaluable actually lol

The elementary version of these is what we're using.  Workboxes, as promulgated online, are missing important steps for kids with SN, which is why you keep thinking they ought to work but are missing something or might not work for some reason.  This lady's stuff is more thorough.  She also has awesome visual schedule materials with options for older kids.  You use multiple components together to create a complete approach to your day.  Structured work systems are for independent work.  They structure his independent work time.  Then you can use visual schedules (with pictures or words or in a planner, whatever is appropriate) to structure the overall day.  Different things, working together.

The first two links are to her kits on TPT.  The third link is to an article on her blog.  

Structured Work System Starter Kit for Autism--Elementary Version

Structured Work System Starter Kit for Autism--Secondary Version

Workbasket-Wednesday-Advanced-Tasks-Fold

I ordered these, downloaded and printed them out, but they don't work for me.  Look at them carefully before deciding to order for older kids.

There are large previews available for all the Christine Reeve stuff, including both on each product page and for her overall web store.  What you receive will be like the previews, only with more, so I agree slow down and make sure it's what you need.  If it's what you need, it's great stuff, very thoughtfully done.