Menu

help w/ writing curriculum

Guest giddyupgrl

Guest giddyupgrl

I need a writing curriculum for my 10 year old dd. She is a weak writer and needs somthing w/ easy instructions and is fun,,,,,, if possible :glare:. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Irene

Do WT2 this year and next year start into IEW. I did WT2 with my dd last year as a co-op class. The kids LOVED it, and it's great for a struggling 5th grader. There's a lot of overlap in approach, so going to IEW the following year (to learn to write paragraphs, essays, etc.) is a great transition.

I use BJ English (just the writing portions) with my 6th grader. We only use the workbook and I order the TM from Christian Liberty Press b/c it's much more homeschool teacher friendly. I also order my BJ English student workbook from CLP too. I love the 5 step writing process that they teach. I love the hand holding that I feel they give the student. I love the step by step process that they use to teach the writing process and the sample writing essays are excellent too. I also like the layout of the student workbook pages. Highly recommmended!

Giddyupgrl I am watching this thread as well. I have a son who is 10 and is also a very weak writer. For what it's worth we have some friends who have been using Jump In and like it. I'm looking ahead to see what would be a good start for next year. This year we will just work on writing book reports.

I can't give any advise because we are in similar situation, but....

Just wanted to clarify that Writing TALES (that the above posters have recommended is a different program than Writing STRANDS. (We also tried Writing Strands, and it was NOT a hit, but we just switched to Writing Tales, and though it's too early to tell, so far, it seems to be great).

My 5th grader and I are loving Vantage Learning's My Access writing program. It's done on the computer, online, and the essays are automatically scored. It comes with preloaded topics, and you can add your own as well.

You can look at their scores over time and see what areas they need more instruction in - - spelling, organization, grammar, etc. There are activities in each topic for students to practice with.

linky:

http://www.vantagelearning.com/home/products/mahome/