Menu

How much do you love your KA mixer?

DawnM

My favorite thing to do with my KA is shred cooked chicken breast, the ability to do that is worth the price IMO.

I was SO happy to learn this trick!  I do a lot of cooking that requires shredded chicken  and this little trick has sure saved me time...and burned fingers because I'm too impatient to wait until the meat cools. 

I love mine, but no I don't use it constantly.  It is great for stuff like cookies. 

I also have some attachments I use fairly regularly such as the meat grinder.

It does take up a lot of space and my kitchen is small.  I've had it for 15 years though and it is still going strong.

Tell me what meat you grind and how you use it- I grew up with Mom using a hand crank meat grinder to make ham salad after a holiday ham dinner but other than that I don't think she ever used it. Do you grind beef to make your own ground beef, or what?   I'm interested in hearing what I'm missing out on!

I bought the food mill and have yet to use it. I have tomatoes in the freezer just waiting to be processed. I covet the ice cream maker, but I don't have the freezer space. I don't have the meat grinder, but my Cuisinart works for that. I love my Kitchenaid. I imagine if I kill it I'll get a more powerful model, but maybe not since I don't think that a bigger one would suit my needs so perfectly. I LIKE the tilt head! My mixer put the hand mixer AND the bread machine out of work at my house. I finally gave them both away after years of not using them.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I can't believe that no has mentioned the ice cream maker attachment.  Using that you can make the absolute best ice cream in the world, easily and quickly.  Of course you'll need room in your freezer to store that attachment so that might be an issue.  That is what we used our KA the most for.  Now that we're dairy free and egg free, it is sadly stored in our basement.  But I should take it out to make sorbet.  Other than that, I use it to make frosting and anything else for baking that requires a mixer.

I would, but i got a cuisinart ice cream maker for a wedding present, lol.  I use it once a year because if I don't then I have to get rid of it.  That's my rule, if it sits for a year then it has to go.  So, once a year I pull it out and make ice cream.

My friend used it constantly and they don't eat dairy. She used to save bits of past the prime fruit and make sorbet quite often. It was great when her kids were toddlers and would take two bites from an apple.  She would cut it up, freeze them and then turn them into sorbet

Re the ice cream maker attachments--I have an old Krups ice cream maker, and it works just great.

I thought of purchasing a KA one, but the Williams Sonoma peeps steered me away from doing so.  They said that it makes good ice cream but that the consistancy is most like soft serve, which doesn't interest me.  Apparently it doesn't get cold enough or take in enough heat to make harder ice cream.

I'm another person who has burned up hand mixer after hand mixer year after year. I pretty much used a spoon or whisk manually on everything I did. On thanksgiving I would use my handmixer...to have it burn out in the middle of prep. There were many black Fridays when I was back out buying a new hand mixer. 2 years ago I got a kitchen aid...and I'm NEVER going back!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I bake often and I love mine. I've wanted one since I was old enough to start baking in my parents' home. I got the smaller KA as a wedding present, but upgraded when we could afford it. Most of my kids' birthday cakes have been made in this mixer. I had to replace the gear casing this year; I think it broke during one of our many moves. Other than that one fix, it's been a workhorse all these years.

I have the pasta roller and ice cream bowl attachment. Eventually I'd like to get the meat grinder.

I have not read any other responses here.  My KA mixer is the only kitchen purchase I have ever regretted (I love kitchen stuff!).  I never use it.  I do an average amount of baking and when I do, the old hand mixer that my MIL handed down to me seems to do the job just fine.

I made a very large batch of cookie batter yesterday and halfway through the process, I told my dh, "This would have been a good time to pull out the Kitchen Aid."  Oh well, too late. 

I love my stand mixer but it doesn't eliminate the need for a hand mixer.  It does the stuff that a hand mixer can not- double batches of stiff cookie dough, bread making and such.  I also find it easier for meringues and stuff that just takes awhile.  I don't use it for things like mashed potatoes- I use a manual masher for that actually.  

I also love that it was a (very generous) gift so I didn't need to pay for it, lol.  We have the $$$ professional series one.  

I don't keep it out on my counter.  I drag it out as needed and I still find it useful.  

Edited by LucyStoner