Menu

What Math Progression for Accelerated Student?

If you have a student who is accelerated in math, then what do you do after you complete calculus?  Also, how do you keep their algebra and geometry skills fresh for the PSAT?  Do they continue to use those skills in precalculus and calculus?  It's been a long time since I took those classes and, unfortunately, I don't remember much about them.  

Is there even any benefit to going beyond calculus in high school?

TIA!

ETA:  This is for my dd who is doing Saxon algebra 2 now in 8th grade because she just gets math.  I had her do Foerster's algebra 1 after Saxon's alg 1 because she is young and I wanted to make sure she had a solid foundation, but Foerster's didn't take her more than a few months to go through.  I will probably have her go through Foerster's or Lial's algebra 2 after she finished Saxon alg 2, but I'm not sure what else I should be considering.

Edited by OnMyOwn

DS went wider and deeper first. E.g. after geometry, he took another semester of more challenging geometry to fine tune his problem solving and proof writing skills. The year that he took algebra 2, he also worked on group theory and abstract algebra concepts with his math tutor. He took an intermediate number theory class and later, a summer group theory class.

He wants to major in math so this might or might not be useful to you and your DD but there is so much she can do if she enjoys math. This semester, DS is working on multivariable calculus online (he finished calculus 2 last spring) and is also taking some time off "formal" math to give himself math-play time through puzzles and online research. He will continue with multivariable calculus in spring.

As for keeping skills fresh, he doesn't seem to have a problem remembering algebra and geometry but did have some trouble remembering a few concepts in precalculus. A few weeks of review and practice took care of that.

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

I have an 8th grade daughter too (who went through Foerster and Saxon Algebra 1 also) and now we're using Jacobs geometry.    I imagine next year she'll take Algebra 2.  Since your daughter has got plenty of time, I'd take a year for geometry (despite it being integrated into Saxon) and then get back for some more advanced algebra and into pre-calculus and calculus.

• Like 1

If you have a student who is accelerated in math, then what do you do after you complete calculus?  Also, how do you keep their algebra and geometry skills fresh for the PSAT?  

If she isn't planning to continue taking math but wants to keep up her algebra and geometry, you can take old AMC 8's and old MathCounts exams.  They are full of those kinds of problems: similar triangles, tangent circles, quadratic equations, sequences and series, etc., etc.

• Like 2

My niece (public school) got a 5 on the AP Calc BC exam last year as a sophomore. She is planning AP Stats as a senior because she already has 3 AP classes this year. So this year she is taking a mathematical topics class at the university a couple days a week.

My sister regrets not testing for CTY or Davidson when she was in middle school so she could have access to their courses, so there's something you might think about. Also AOPS and eIMACS might have classes for your student.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

My dd likes math, but she's not passionate about it. That's where I struggle with what to do for her. If math was her passion, I'd put a lot of focus on it and get her into as many math classes as possible. But, she seems to like all subjects and doesn't seem to have any idea about what she wants to do. The problem we run into is time. She's taking a very heavy load of classes, including two languages she doesn't want to give up, and doesn't really want to devote more than an hour a day to math.

I like the idea of taking a separate year for geometry and may check into the AOPS books or Jacob's if those don't seem like a good fit. What I'd really like to find is a great class with a teacher who will inspire her.

For DD14, next year will be calc BC. Junior year may be AP stats or she may pick up number theory at the local college. She has also thought about just picking up Calc 2 at the college sprig her junior year (repeat) then continuing on with Calc 3 and Linear her senior year.

We are going to try to keep a bit flexible bc math is not really her passion.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

My dd likes math, but she's not passionate about it. That's where I struggle with what to do for her. If math was her passion, I'd put a lot of focus on it and get her into as many math classes as possible. But, she seems to like all subjects and doesn't seem to have any idea about what she wants to do. The problem we run into is time. She's taking a very heavy load of classes, including two languages she doesn't want to give up, and doesn't really want to devote more than an hour a day to math.

I like the idea of taking a separate year for geometry and may check into the AOPS books or Jacob's if those don't seem like a good fit. What I'd really like to find is a great class with a teacher who will inspire her.

If you go to the high school math thread, boardies have suggested online classes that go with various curriculum. Good luck!

• Like 1

For DD14, next year will be calc BC. Junior year may be AP stats or she may pick up number theory at the local college. She has also thought about just picking up Calc 2 at the college sprig her junior year (repeat) then continuing on with Calc 3 and Linear her senior year.

We are going to try to keep a bit flexible bc math is not really her passion.

Interesting, AK_Mom4. Now you've got me wondering if we should just keep working straight through. I know she'd like statistics. That would be right up her alley.

I'm having DS start taking math courses at the CC. He's in 8th as well. He'll start in Jan.

Whoa, I didn't even think that was possible until they were 16. I just started the application process for the CTY classes that someone mentioned unthread to keep our options open, but I'll have to check into the CC too and see what they offer.

I am in the same boat here.  Dd is in 7th and doing Saxon Algebra 2.  My plan right now is for her to do Advanced Math next year and then in 9th grade start calculus.  I figured I might do that over 2 years and then have her go to CC for Calculus 2 and 3.  She is really good at Math but it is not her favorite topic although she is thinking of going into accounting or finance when she gets older.

• Like 1

Whoa, I didn't even think that was possible until they were 16. I just started the application process for the CTY classes that someone mentioned unthread to keep our options open, but I'll have to check into the CC too and see what they offer.

I think this varies from place to place.  At our local CC they don't mention any minimal age.

I took him down there this morning.  They had him take the placement exam.  He did very well and was able to choose any freshman level math course.  He signed up for college algebra and trig.  It will be somewhat of a review after completing Saxon Algebra 2, but since he has never been in a real classroom I thought it would be best not to overwhelm him.  He is so excited.  I'm really excited for him .  And all these years of sweating bullets over whether or not homeschooling was "working" I feel very validated at the moment!!

• Like 8

I think this varies from place to place.  At our local CC they don't mention any minimal age.

I took him down there this morning.  They had him take the placement exam.  He did very well and was able to choose any freshman level math course.  He signed up for college algebra and trig.  It will be somewhat of a review after completing Saxon Algebra 2, but since he has never been in a real classroom I thought it would be best not to overwhelm him.  He is so excited.  I'm really excited for him .  And all these years of sweating bullets over whether or not homeschooling was "working" I feel very validated at the moment!!

OT...awesome! Loved reading this and so happy for the both of you! :hurray:

• Like 1