Menu

Diatomaceous earth...

Luanne

You can purchase food grade Diatomaceous earth, that said, I. would. not. eat. it.  We purchased some to rid our house of spiders.  It will scratch them to death.  Literally.  Why food grade?  We have a cat and *if* she got any on her fur and tried to clean it, well she wouldn't die.  It can be very irritating to your skin and lungs and can give you diarrhea.

• Like 1

You can purchase food grade Diatomaceous earth, that said, I. would. not. eat. it.  We purchased some to rid our house of spiders.  It will scratch them to death.  Literally.  Why food grade?  We have a cat and *if* she got any on her fur and tried to clean it, well she wouldn't die.  It can be very irritating to your skin and lungs and can give you diarrhea.

Yeh....we use it in our garden to get rid of all kinds of unwanted pests. I can't imagine eating it....even if it isn't the same as what we put on the ground. Just the thought of it. :huh:

We got a bunch of the food grade DE when we had a flea infestation. My husband read up on it and started drinking some every morning. He says it really helped his colitis. I thought it was a little strange, but he was happy with it. It was also the only thing that got rid of the fleas.ðŸœ

• Like 2

Heck no.  Ahem. 

Though I have heard of folks doing that, usually for intestinal parasites.  I'm not sure why one wouldn't see a Dr. about parasites. 

Parasites can be really difficult to find. It usually requires multiple stool tests, and even then it's not for certain. People will often treat with DE since it can be a safer alternative. 

Luanne- I wouldn't drink it for no reason, but DE can be very helpful for gastero health and for nutritional deficiencies. Keep in mind it's very drying and you need to stay extra hydrated while taking it. It should also only be temporary, not long term. It can be effective for specific problems. 

There are several studies recently about DE, but it definitely lacks solid research. I imagine more studies are in the works. 

• Like 2

Parasites can be really difficult to find. It usually requires multiple stool tests, and even then it's not for certain. People will often treat with DE since it can be a safer alternative. 

Luanne- I wouldn't drink it for no reason, but DE can be very helpful for gastero health and for nutritional deficiencies. Keep in mind it's very drying and you need to stay extra hydrated while taking it. It should also only be temporary, not long term. It can be effective for specific problems. 

There are several studies recently about DE, but it definitely lacks solid research. I imagine more studies are in the works. 

I wasn't going to go there, but, yeah, besides parasites being expensive and difficult to diagnose, the hard part is getting a western doctor to take you seriously enough to test. That is unless you've been out of the country recently because parasites are a 3rd world problem. Nope.  

In many cultures that experience maybe great heavier parasite burdens, medicine is over the counter. There are over the counter herbals here though that have been tested with great results.

Edited by LavenderGirl
  • Like 3

The food kind...a neighbor gave me some...said to mix 1 tsp in a glass of water each day and drink it. Does anyone have any experience with this? I couldn't find much information about it online.

No, and I don't think you should get any experience with it, either. A polite thank you and "It's so nice to have neighbors that care" thank you note are plenty. Then toss it.

I've had parasites. I actually don't mind them. I'd rather a worm than some random hippy formula. And I say that as a hippy.

• Like 2

Oh yeah. If you have worms, pumpkin seeds is a purported cure. I don't know of any randomized controlled trial but I do know that they are tasty and have a lot of nutritional value so unless you're on a strict diet or have allergies, no harm done regardless.

• Like 2