Menu

It's AMC8 Day!!!

AEC

There was both excitement and treppidation here over amd8 day...first time either DD11 or DS13 have taken a standardized test.  I had to explain how the scantron/bubble-filling in business works. :lol:

They took it at a local Catholic school who very kindly let them sit in.  I thought they'd come home with their test booklets, but aparently not.  I'm curious how everyone else's went...and when do we get the results back??!?

Now, we wait....and begin Algebra, apparently. DD11 has decided she should take AoPS Alg & Geometry in time for the AMC10 next year (2017). :huh:   We'll see.  She is excited by strange things.

• Like 5

DD11 took AMC8 for the first time. She said it was pretty difficult - she is more towards Language Arts then math/science but at least she tried. 

DS12 took AMC for the first time as well but in his opinion it was "confusing". So I have no clue how they did. They had attended schools in Japan before we moved to the States so I assume all competitions will be "confusing" until they get used to them.  :confused1:

Do you know how long we have to wait for the results?  The math teacher said it takes up to 3 months to receive them. 

Oh, and how can we get copies of the questions? Just to look at them and try to do them at home. 

My kid ran out of time. He is confident in his answers, but only made it to problem 17 before having to turn in the test. :) He feels like a failure despite our assurances of the opposite. Does speed improve with age? He is 10.

absolutely, speed improves with age.  There are also some 'facts' it's very helpful to just know - DD11 drilled the squares through 15, cubes thorugh 8, primes < 100, common integer right triangles, etc.

Both my kids did all the previous exams from 2008->2014 as practice, and both thought this years was harder...but that might just be nerves from it being 'for real'.

Also...for most years 17 would put you in the top 5% of all takers.  That'd be a pretty great ranking for a 10 year old.

• Like 2

Both kids said it was harder than what they had practiced (2005=>2014). Maybe you are right, they were nervous because it was a real test vs. just a practice. 

Just spoke to my daughter, she said she was run out of time. Doing calculations took time, then she wanted to check everything, and finally she noticed she had 6 minutes left and 9 questions untouched. Ended up with guessing a few of them.

My kid ran out of time. He is confident in his answers, but only made it to problem 17 before having to turn in the test. :) He feels like a failure despite our assurances of the opposite. Does speed improve with age? He is 10.

Definitely -- they do get faster as they get older.  That said, it is quite a quick pace -- less than 2 minutes per question.  My dds took it again this year.  Both made honor rolls last year, but this year, my oldest, in 8th, said she still had about 3 questions she was unsure of with 2 minutes left.  My younger, in 7th, said she finished with time to spare.  Go figure.  It all depends upon the individual.  

Making it to problem 17, and being confident in his answers is great for your 10 yo ds!  I think the cutoff for his age group is 15 for an honorable mention, so he may be in the running.  Good luck to him!

eta:  Both my dds say they feel the test has definitely increased in difficulty over the years.

• Like 1